The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Default Cordoba Gk Pro vs GK Studio

Hello My friends .. i want to buy a new Guitar and i am thinking of cordoba Gk Pro or studio but i can see that there is a huge differences in the price !! does and body know why is that exactly !! and does it worth the difference !??

So u advice me to buy the Gk pro / Studio / or C10 !!??

By the way i have yamaha NTX900 and i hate it !!

i play many different styles like : Rumba / oriental / gipsy jazz / rock and roll and fingerstyle ! and most of my solo .. i use pick

here is a link of my paying

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXnXVah4Zo

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOFHFAyRRo

my budget is 1500 $

Many Thnx
Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 PM

the studio pro is made a little better, and features all solid woods, while the Studio has laminated back and sides. I have the GK Studio Negra, and it's a decent guitar. The Pro is a nicer version, and worth the money. That said, its best to try before you buy.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Many thnx bro

thank you so much .. i will try to test it .. the problem that i dont know if there is cordoba store in dubai , i may buy it through amazon without testing it !!

a little risky
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 AM

I have only had the chance to do a direct comparison between the cypress (solid GK Pro and laminate GK Studio) models. As much as I would like to say the Pro was much better sounding, the ones I compared were pretty close. Close enough that the difference could have been wiped out by a string change. So acoustic sound wise, I couldn't really justify the difference. The Pro does have a different preamp and while I used it for a rehearsal, I didn't get to gig it. Maybe a little nicer plugged in sound than the Studio but, once again, not a night and day difference.

No doubt, the Pro was a cleaner build with minimal run out, better wood grain and a cosmetically decent back and sides. The golpeador was nicely glued and no bubbles. By comparison, it is hard, but not impossible, to find a Studio without pretty serious run out (if that bothers you), imperfect grain and of course you get laminated back and sides. And a golpeador that may have bubbles and lift around the edges. In the end though, I didn't find the better build, solid back and sides, and wood cosmetic quality on the Pro translated into a really better sound. The improved cosmetics may be worth it. In my case, the GKs are working guitars that get smoke, sweat, dents and use so the cosmetics are not as important.

So with a do over, I would get another Studio. Maybe a negra is a different situation. Never got to try a Pro in rosewood.

hunter
Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Your video sounds good. Are you the lead or the rhythm player?
Check out Cervantes guitars.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Hi there, I just got a GK Studio Negra a couple of days ago. I wanted to get a nylon string with the built-in mic for gigs with a percussionist.

It plays well, intonation is very good across the board. The golpeador has no bubbles or lifting at all. The finish is clean and I don't see any excess glue inside if that's what hunter meant by 'run out'.

Acoustically it sounds nice, a lot brighter than my classical guitar but not as rich of tone. (then again it is new, needs to get broken in ) It's a little thinner than my classical too, which I'm sure contributes to the brightness.

I really like the plugged-in sound. It's what I was looking for because it has a nice natural tone (I previously used a microphone with my classical guitar for gigs) and the blend with the piezo does not have that ugly quack.

I like the fingerboard and neck, again it's a little smaller than the classical but it makes it easier to play, low action= less fatigue. Just what I want on the job.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
Hi there, I just got a GK Studio Negra a couple of days ago.

Acoustically it sounds nice, a lot brighter than my classical guitar but not as rich of tone. (then again it is new, needs to get broken in ) It's a little thinner than my classical too, which I'm sure contributes to the brightness.

I've had my Studio Negra for about 1.5 years. It's developed a bit, but nowhere near as rich a sound as a classical instrument. I got the C9 Spruce at the same time, and it's really opened up nicely. Both get about equal play. Flamenco tops are braced lighter, and the top is a little thinner (typically) to get that volume and "snap". I couldn't recommend the GK studio for classical repertoire (though you can get by).

I do like the pickups/preamp on the GK Studio.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Default Thnx

i am the Lead guitarist
Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Default Many thnx

Thank you all for ur replies .. but still a little confused ... cuz maybe am going to buy it through amazon without trying it ... ! i have no cordoba stores in my region !
Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM

Default thnx bro

thnak you for ur comment bro
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Thank you all for ur replies .. but still a little confused ... cuz maybe am going to buy it through amazon without trying it ... ! i have no cordoba stores in my region !
Even though I didn't sing the praises, I own two GK Studios, one blanca and one negra. I gig the blanca steady (4 nights this week) in a 5-6 piece Latin band. At the price point, they make perfectly good working guitars.

Like the other poster, inferred, the GK won't produce high end acoustic sound. My relatively inexpensive acoustic-only student model flamenco, which actually cost more than the GK, sounds better. My acoustic only concert flamenco is much nicer in every way. But that is not what these guitars are specifically about. You get a serviceable acoustic sound and a functional plugged in sound and acceptable build quality. At a reasonable cost.

I like Yamahas and I think the GK Studio will probably be an upgrade acoustically and amplified over the NTX 900. The GK will have a wider neck and may have slightly higher action.

hunter
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Even though I didn't sing the praises, I own two GK Studios, one blanca and one negra. I gig the blanca steady (4 nights this week) in a 5-6 piece Latin band. At the price point, they make perfectly good working guitars.
+1

I played my GK Studio negra last night on a gig and I loved it. I had great amplified sound, more than enough volume, no feedback.

Acoustically my classical is nicer sounding but for gigs the Cordoba wins hands down.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
I've had my Studio Negra for about 1.5 years. It's developed a bit, but nowhere near as rich a sound as a classical instrument. I got the C9 Spruce at the same time, and it's really opened up nicely. Both get about equal play. Flamenco tops are braced lighter, and the top is a little thinner (typically) to get that volume and "snap". I couldn't recommend the GK studio for classical repertoire (though you can get by).

I do like the pickups/preamp on the GK Studio.

Vognell I see you also have a Cordoba Fusion, how do you compare the fusion with the GK studio? Which one sounds better acoustically? How about plugged?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Hello My friends .. i want to buy a new Guitar and i am thinking of cordoba Gk Pro or studio but i can see that there is a huge differences in the price !! does and body know why is that exactly !! and does it worth the difference !??

So u advice me to buy the Gk pro / Studio / or C10 !!??

By the way i have yamaha NTX900 and i hate it !!

i play many different styles like : Rumba / oriental / gipsy jazz / rock and roll and fingerstyle ! and most of my solo .. i use pick

here is a link of my paying

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXnXVah4Zo

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOFHFAyRRo

my budget is 1500 $

Many Thnx

I own a Cordoba GK Studio Pro Negra Guitar. As is stated not only by Cordoba, but many on line websites etc, this guitar has been designed and built to suit the - so called " crossover " guitarists. By that, my best assumption is that
the ... " crossover " guitarist... MIGHT be described as such : Perhaps plays varying styles but more specifically, while maybe has some experience as a Classical guitarist, also plays, or would like to play Latin, Latin Jazz
( Jobim etc ) , even Earl Clugh style / influence mainstream and fusion Jazz,
but to play it on an electro / acoustic slim body, or even thinline ( thin body )
Nylon string guitar, either finger style, or even with a plectrum. He or she may also actually have more experience playing steel string acoustic guitars, hence the slightly narrower neck of the Cordoba GK Pro Negra Nylon at 50mm at the nut. Finally, the " crossover " guitarist likes the idea of on board Nylon acoustic PreAmp / under saddle Piezo amplification so that he / she can use it live in a trio, quartet , full band - whatever.
Let me enlighten you, remembering that the following is strictly, and only my own opinion :
1: The Cordoba CK Studio Pro Negra has the on board Fishman PreFix Pro Blend PreAmp / under saddle Piezo Pick up. I tried to sound check it live at sound check before a gig .... RUBBISH ! ! ! .
We ended up having to stage mic. it.
2. This guitar is a 12 fret at body / slim body guitar. Cordoba recommends high tension strings. .... Not good. The neck length too short. The body depth too shallow .
3. The neck width at nut 50mm. Not good for finger style guitarists. The right hand fingerpicking technique is too restricted with not enough headroom between strings. Nails keep hitting, knocking and buzzing adjacent strings. The classical 52mm neck width , while the difference may not sound like much,
would've been the way to go for this guitar - all guitarists.
You could ask - but is a 52mm neck width OK for plectrum style.
Well .. we are talking about this CORDOBA guitar. So fine, if you really want to spend the full new model price on it , just so that you can use your pick with Nylon strings - go right ahead. Anyway, you could also ask, just how many guitarists out there use a pick with Nylon strings. Take it or leave it, you're better off doing that with a good solid / chambered body Nylon Ac/Elec guitar.

..... Your call.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

I owned and gigged GK Pro blanca, GK Studio blanca, 55FCE, and FCWE Reissue. The first two are made in China, and the latter two in Spain. The GK Studio was the least quality made, sounding, and playing. But it was still a decent guitar for the money. When I stopped playing my latin-jazz stuff for a few years, I sold all but the FCWE Reissue. The one I really wanted to keep was the GK Pro. Loved that guitar! But a guy wanted it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Anyways... I'd still trade my FCWE Reissue for the right GK Pro if that says anything. Yeah... I think the Pro is worth the price difference between it and the Studio... in build quality, playability, and tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
buy, cordoba, gk pro, gk studio, nylon