The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 AM

How long are your arms?

Sounds like a silly question, but mine are fairly short, and I have sold every OM I have ever owned, mostly because the mechanics of a short-scale 000 fit me better. Easier reach, less string tension.

I would also push back on 000/OM being "small". The size, in my opinion, is the most versatile of all guitar shapes, especially if you play with a fairly light touch.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up Great choice!

Your decision to go with a 000-28 or OM-28 is a great choice. They are good for finger-picking. I’ve read of many here on AGF who love Dreads but due to shoulder issues had to switch to smaller guitars. All of my guitars are smaller guitars.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Whatever works is just fine.
Some folk have varieties of sizes and some folk don’t.
That’s the great thing about guitars, it’s all up to you.
Enjoy whatever you like.
This is solid advice +1
Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 PM

For me it was a Larrivee D-03. It was a revelation.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:20 PM

I wouldn't call it a mistake to have two smaller body guitars, but I think you would be very pleasantly surprised with the sounds you can pull out of a good Martin Dread. Try out a Martin D-28, HD-28V, or D-18 if you get the chance. I suspect you will floored by how big the sound is and how much that will change your playing style and help you grow as a player.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-05-2020, 04:04 PM

It’s already been said, but upgrading to a better version of something you’re already used to is not a bad thing. If you like the feel of what you have but want higher quality and more projection, changing bod just be the thing.

But also, there’s nothing wrong with going to an OM either. I would definitely try it out, and maybe even rent one for the weekend from a store that does gig rentals, to see oh it’s a great fit.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Getting both is sounding like a great idea! Not sure how my other half would feel about that though.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:56 PM

I’m almost 6 feet tall so longish arms but I do have some shoulder issues.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:58 PM

The only Dread I’ve really played was my brother’s Eastman. It seemed like it sounded better when he played it with a heavier hand.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
I’m almost 6 feet tall so longish arms but I do have some shoulder issues.
I'm 6'-6" with very long arms, yet because of shoulder issues I don't like to play anything much bigger than a 000. All of the dreads and jumbos are gone now. Technically my Taylor Grand Auditorium guitar is a little bigger than a 000 at 16" across the lower bout, but those have worked for me for many years. I'm a 75% bare nails finger picker, and moderate strumming the rest of the time.

OM with 25.4" scale will have a little more string tension and therefore more projection. It will also accommodate altered tunings slightly better, if you do that. The 000 generally (but not always) has a 24.9" scale. Martin can be pretty loosey-goosey about which scale goes with which model. Shorter strings require a little less tension to be tuned up to concert pitch. As I get older, my preference is for shorter scales. You can simulate the lower tension by tuning down a half-step to Eb.

The ultimate in player comfort is a short scale / twelve fret, where the neck meets the body at the 12th fret instead of the 14th fret. This can also sweeten the tone a bit, because the bridge is more centered on the lower bout and moves the top more easily. Play as many examples as you can and let one raise its hand and says, "take me home"!

My "lifetime" guitar was a Martin J-40, which is a 0000 shape and dread body depth. I sold it after 27 years only because the 1-11/16" nut width and neck profile started disagreeing with my left hand sometime in my late 40's. That guitar had plenty of raw power and a big bold tone, but the narrower waist also gave it some clarity and tonal balance for fingerpicking that a D-28 or D-35 lacked. I hope this helped more than confused....
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 PM

I have two 000 12-fret guitars, one rosewood and one mahogany. I get plenty of volume from them. Great for finger picking!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm 6'-6" with very long arms, yet because of shoulder issues I don't like to play anything much bigger than a 000. All of the dreads and jumbos are gone now. Technically my Taylor Grand Auditorium guitar is a little bigger than a 000 at 16" across the lower bout, but those have worked for me for many years. I'm a 75% bare nails finger picker, and moderate strumming the rest of the time.

OM with 25.4" scale will have a little more string tension and therefore more projection. It will also accommodate altered tunings slightly better, if you do that. The 000 generally (but not always) has a 24.9" scale. Martin can be pretty loosey-goosey about which scale goes with which model. Shorter strings require a little less tension to be tuned up to concert pitch. As I get older, my preference is for shorter scales. You can simulate the lower tension by tuning down a half-step to Eb.

The ultimate in player comfort is a short scale / twelve fret, where the neck meets the body at the 12th fret instead of the 14th fret. This can also sweeten the tone a bit, because the bridge is more centered on the lower bout and moves the top more easily. Play as many examples as you can and let one raise its hand and says, "take me home"!

My "lifetime" guitar was a Martin J-40, which is a 0000 shape and dread body depth. I sold it after 27 years only because the 1-11/16" nut width and neck profile started disagreeing with my left hand sometime in my late 40's. That guitar had plenty of raw power and a big bold tone, I hope this helped more than confused....
I think maybe it’s that clarity you mention that draws me to the smaller body guitars. I love the bass I hear in the dreads but the clarity really appeals to my ear.
Thanks for the input!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:03 PM

If you get the chance, try an M-36 too.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 08-05-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
I believe someone here (finger picker) said it takes a pick to pull the volume out of a 28 compared to an 18, but he might have been referring to dreads. Maybe try them both.
Yeah, I thought most finger pickers went with mahogany over rosewood.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:17 PM

Smile

For what it's worth - I was a finger style player for nearly 30 years before finally learning to use a pick.

So I get the appeal of the tones of the high notes you are talking about too.

A good dreadnought will get better highs than you are used to even with finger style and I bet you will find the bass a warm and welcome surprise.

It might even lead you to wanting to learn to strum with a pick a bit.

A good dread will open you to playing things you never knew you could play. All new guitars do really.

I try not be contrarian at all - I just suspect you would grow as a play by trying a bigger guitar out. Sticking with my vote fore a good used Martin D-18, D-28, or better yet and HD-28V.

They are easy to resell too if you have buyers remorse, but I bet once you get that thing home and play it in a quite room alone - there will no looking back.

I have an OM and I love it. I have a OO too. The scale of the OO is fantastic and it genuinely is finger style guitar. I would never try to tell you otherwise.

And when I want to go back to my finger style roots - I pick up the OO and I'm always amazed how playing other guitar help me grow as player when I get back to my roots.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
small body guitar