The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I have just spent three weeks with my little Jane and I can say it has done me very well. While I miss my full-size I don't feel like I've been giving up much at all.

As for the neck it's a bit on the D shape or modified V 1 3/4. So chunkier than my Breedloves for sure

But less chunky than the Rainsong parlor I had.

It is quite loud for its size and strums pretty well. It is a cedar top though. I was playing on my dad's back deck given my two week quarantine and the neighbours all commented on enjoying the evening concerts so it apparently carries well enough and the sound quality did well enough.

I really like the sound quality out of it and not just for a travel guitar.

The only downside I see is that it is fairly neck heavy with the hardware at the top for the headstock join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
A Furch Little Jane looks smart and fascinating, with the two-part detachable and stashable neck. What is the neck profile? Slim? Chunky? How well does it handle strumming, to you? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:45 PM

I'm a Big Baby Taylor guy. I don't care for the very short scales on most smaller guitars. The BB has 25.5 scale and great sound IMO.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'm a Big Baby Taylor guy. I don't care for the very short scales on most smaller guitars. The BB has 25.5 scale and great sound IMO.
They are nice, but good luck getting one of those aboard a regional jet...
Old 08-04-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
They are nice, but good luck getting one of those aboard a regional jet...
Good point! I've never flown with a guitar.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Good point! I've never flown with a guitar.

Yeah - I made the switch from the X7 to the Journey when I flew a couple of transatlantic flights and couldn't get my Emerald on board - had to gate check it. So far (in about four years) that has never happened with my Journey!
Old 08-04-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_gurl View Post
I think we're looking at popularity alone, at least from what I've seen, the Taylor GS mini is king in that respect. The GS mini has great sound, great build but I think it's name is what adds to the price. I've seen someone else say that the GS mini is about $200 too expensive for what it is, and I'd have to agree with that. It has some great times and it is an amazing guitar, but like I said before I think you're paying for the popularity and the name on the headstock more than anything. But when it comes to best bang for your buck, I think the Martin dreadnought junior is a darn good deal. It's a solid wood guitar, that has the option of electronics for only $599, I think I'm biased because I am buying one later this week. But if the guitar is used strictly for travel purposes and not like a stage guitar, I think the little Martin is a really good choice.
I believe it's GS mini !!
Old 08-04-2020, 03:29 PM

Taylor Big Baby.

IMO one big reason for its amazing feel and tone is its full scale.
At 25.5", it's two inches longer than the GS, and a pinch longer than a standard full-sized Martin Dreadnought, which is 25.4"

Last edited by Tico; 08-04-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Loving a Blackbird Rider I just picked up.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

the only small body I found was the Yairi parlor PYM70 that had the neck specs that I prefer( 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" string spacing at saddle), if memory is right it had around 23" scale but not sure. It was good, but it was a 12 fret and having owned a couple 12 frets, I just don't bond with them.

i've owned a GS mini and setup quite a few, and nice, but the neck isn't wide enough to suit me.

I tried a few others mentioned in the thread. found this T-40 a few weeks ago and I have one enroute-in fact its this exact one in the video. Hoping it will work for me.

solid wood Sitka and mahogany, 22.8" scale, 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" ss spacing, 3 lb 4 oz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31gbEpsvjs

its one of these as well, ends in 61- I think the guy is playing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpffUM62ok
Old 08-04-2020, 08:59 PM

I just picked up a Yamaha CSF3M and love it. Played it head to head with a GS Mini and it sounded much brighter to my ears. Owned a GS before but returned it. I had a CSF3M once upon a time and always kicked myself for dumping it. Glad to have another one.

I also have a Martin OX2MAE That my daughter currently has. It’s also a good traveler, but a bit larger.
Martin 0-18 Custom
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
‘38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'20s Oscar Schmidt Stella
'20s Regal Superior
Old 08-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Oh yeah, I had one of those early Baby Taylors with the tiny hardshell case. It was cute. Played cute. Sounded cute. Sat in the case for years. Finally sold it. It really was cute.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

I found that anything smaller than a Larrivee Parlour didnt satisfy me in the tone department. But the best travel guitars have removable necks like the Voyage Air. The best of the best are made of carbon fiber.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I found that anything smaller than a Larrivee Parlour didnt satisfy me in the tone department. But the best travel guitars have removable necks like the Voyage Air. The best of the best are made of carbon fiber.
If the neck comes off you don't need to compromise on the other specifications too much, like body size and scale length. I make them so the neck stores inside the body for travel. Why not - it's a hollow box? Depending on the usage I have built them with anything from HPL to BRW back and sides, but always a solid wood top. Carbon fibre would make an almost indestructable guitar and the few I've heard (full size guitars) really did't sound too bad. Some of the cheap laminate Yamaha 3/4 size don't sound horrible and can be set up to play decent, and for camping or back packing would be on my short list. If I was going to pay very much, I would want the thing to be more a guitar that can travel, than a "travel guitar".
Old 08-05-2020, 07:24 PM

In my ears, a carbon fiber is the best of both worlds. Super durable, and not lacking in the tone department. I've been particularly impressed with how the Rainsong tone, although the portability of the Blackbird Rider is still pretty awesome...
Old 08-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Having had the Rainsong parlor and the Klos I can agree that the Rainsong tone is awesome but the travel size is not even close. The ones with folding necks pack way smaller and it's a huge difference. As mentioned elsewhere it depends on what is the biggest priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
In my ears, a carbon fiber is the best of both worlds. Super durable, and not lacking in the tone department. I've been particularly impressed with how the Rainsong tone, although the portability of the Blackbird Rider is still pretty awesome...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion