The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-25-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Finally gonna break down and buy a mold/form.

Is the best quality combined with deal LMI?

Unless I find a second hand KMG Mega mold (which aint easy) I am left with side molds. Would be a dread and/or a 000 body.

LMI is free shipping and are $116 a piece. They also appear to come with middle spreaders? Am I missing a catch? Any help?
Old 04-25-2020, 07:52 PM

I looked at both LMII and Stewmac's molds: not thrilled about either.

1. LMII doesn't specify the thickness of the mold: one could ask, but it looks too thin for my preference. Stewmac states theirs is 2": mine are deeper (thicker) than that and I wouldn't want to use a mold that's only 2" deep on 4" deep side. Too much side is unsupported.

2. The LMII spreaders can't be removed through the sound hole, meaning that either top or back, depending on your assembly sequence, can't be glued on with the spreaders in place.

3. I don't understand the hinge pins in the LMII mold. They look like they would be in the way half the time. I don't see a video anywhere that shows the use of the molds and hinges.

4. The stewmac molds are rectangular. Most clamping should be done perpendicular to the guitar shape (i.e. the inside shape). Having a rectangular outside will make clamping difficult in a variety of situations, hence most molds follow the shape of the guitar.

I didn't use molds for the first two decades of my guitar making. Instead, I used the system that I learned from Charles Fox - a flat board with slots and dowels. It works just about as well as an outside mold, but the shape can be changed in seconds. It doubles as a work board and a means of clamping bindings in place while glue dries.

Making one's own molds isn't difficult with a bandsaw or jigsaw and a router. It does take time, though. The LMII mold is a good price, compared to one's time and the cost of materials, but it isn't the design I would use. I'm sure it would work, though.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:48 AM

I agree with Charles, make your own and it will be better than those commercial units. You could get one of those and make a couple more layers with a router but buying plans would do the same thing and be cheaper.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:42 AM

Agree with above.

If you have a bandsaw make your own with layers of 3/4" MDF.

If you don't have a bandsaw, spend the $ to buy one.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Have you looked into Blues Creek molds?
Old 04-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Just now.

Same clamping issue with rectangular outside.

I think the toggle clamps holding the two halves together will interfere with gluing/clamping heel and end blocks in place.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 PM

OT: I’m making my own mold/bending form out of 3/4” plywood this week and this thread begs many questions. In the interest of not hijacking this thread I’ll start another.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Blues Creek are pricier without free shipping and I do believe the center spreaders are seprate
Old 04-26-2020, 07:55 PM

I have many molds from many manufacturers and also make my own.

I have 4 Lmii units and they all work just fine

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-26-2020, 08:56 PM

I question why you have to use such torture looking devices to force the guitar into it's shape by pressing it against the walls of a mold?

Build off the top - free.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I just recently received my LMII OM mold. It is 2.5" thick, and I agree that it would have been nice to be a bit thicker for sure. Yes, the pins are kind of strange and awkward, but you can put the PVC pieces in either way or take the pins out. or slide them up or down to be flush with the mold. And yes, you can't use the inside forms as you seal the box up like you can with normal spreaders.

One thing however that I thought was kind of nice is that you can use both halves of the mold, doubled up as a bending form as well. Just take the mold halves apart, set them on your bench upside down and together. You can then use a silicone bending blanket and the inside forms (again detached and coupled together) to press the side into the mold. So it can sort of be a 2 in 1 purchase.

The price I thought was pretty good relatively speaking and the quality is high.

So I don't regret the purchase at all so far. I don't have a band-saw or I would have made my own most likely.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I question why you have to use such torture looking devices to force the guitar into it's shape by pressing it against the walls of a mold?

Build off the top - free.
Because the waist of the sides wants to relax; a mold also requires spreaders. As the OP just found out if the sides aren’t held completely immobile the top isn’t going to cooperate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair