The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'd love to see it, John. It is entirely possible you will have another of my pieces by then, as it happens. Still have to see which way the wind blown . . . and whether or not the wood bends.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. I've never done it any other way. BTW beautiful Pernambuco. Will you be bringing a Pernambuco guitar to Tom's show? I've never had a chance to play one.....would love to.
Check out the last couple of pages of Sexauer '18 (chapter 3), which is largely about what I am bringing to B.I.G.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I'd love to see it, John. It is entirely possible you will have another of my pieces by then, as it happens. Still have to see which way the wind blown . . . and whether or not the wood bends.
I am ready brother! I have confidence in your bending mojo.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have had two interesting Sexauer guitars come home this past week. I have added them to my "Inventory" page.

One is the Pernambuco "Mod-D" I made in 2017 as a salute to Ervin Somogyi. The fellow who bought it could not get over the BRW traditional D I have had hanging around here for a while, and we traded.

The other is a 2004 ES-14-C (Schoenberg) which is one of the sweetest sounding guitars I've ever played. It is trimmed with abalone in the Martin style 40, has a pyramid bridge, and a nicely rendered cutaway. It has a fantastically competent feel to hold and play, but again, it is truly beautiful sounding. Even within my body of work is is exceptional for this. It is a poster-child for why the 00 is thought by many to be the perfect guitar size.

At the same time I have had several depart as well. The Dread already mentioned, of course. Also the Pernambuco L00 is sold. And the recently delivered Pernambuco stained Maple Schoenberg Standard (000) is no longer available.

Finally, today I delivered the "serious" classical guitar to Greg, who was close to literally speechless with joy. Although he has previously owned perhaps 6 of my existent guitars, this is his first commission, and that really can be a transcendent experience. He says it was, and that seems true to me.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM

I wish I could pull the trigger on this 2004 ES-14-C (Schoenberg) with the testimonial you just gave it. Perhaps this needs to visit Texas in a couple of months if it is still around? That is some beautiful BRW to say the least.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I wish I could pull the trigger on this 2004 ES-14-C (Schoenberg) with the testimonial you just gave it. Perhaps this needs to visit Texas in a couple of months if it is still around? That is some beautiful BRW to say the least.
It is possible I will no longer have one or more of the guitars I do plan to bring to your place, Tom, in which case this one would be a great addition to my traveling herd. Or, if someone was all but promising to buy, I might go to the trouble of having more guitars than I can actually carry.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:02 AM

That ES-14-C is amazing. That’s pretty much double-0-M we talked about, yes?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
That ES-14-C is amazing. That’s pretty much double-0-M we talked about, yes?
Exactly, Matt. It specs out just like a Schoenberg Soloist (pre-war OM with a cutaway) except based on a 14 fret 00. I have made about 10 of them for Eric, and another half dozen under my own banner which have a slightly different body template.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 PM

What’s different between your template and Eric’s? Is it adherence to Martin shapes for the Schoenberg instruments?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Smile Fandango time soon...

This Texas BBQ and bourbon tasting sure is going to have some fine guitars in attendance!!! Hahahahaha
Gadzooks these are the cat's PJs...

Looking forward to seeing and hearing a few of yours up close and personal, and hearing you play too!!!

Carry on and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
What’s different between your template and Eric’s? Is it adherence to Martin shapes for the Schoenberg instruments?
My Schoenberg guitars are built to Eric’s specs, as though he were the client . . . which he is. His templates are strictly traditional, Martin/Gibson/Stahl/etc. as well as his bracing patterns, trim packages, headstock designs, and more. Thus he does not take advantage of any of my more progressive thinking such as my tone bar variation or wedging, let alone multiscale or body asymmetry. Philosophically, Eric seeks to recreate the Golden Era guitars, whereas in my own work I seek to expand on the theme.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:18 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Your P dred is looking real good. Looking forward to visiting with you at B.I.G.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
THIS IS MY SECOND POST ADDESSING MATT’S QUESTION, AND WHEN I NOTICED I WROTE ONE YESTERDAY, I WENT TO DELETE THIS . . . BUT IT GIVES MORE USEFUL INFO SO I’M NOT . . . YET. SHOULD HAVE FINISHED MY COFFEE BEFORE LOOKING AT THE FORUM.

To the best of my ability, Schoenberg guitars are made to traditional templates. A Schoenberg Soloist, for instance, VERY closely resembles a pre-war golden era Martin OM. In my nomenclature, I differentiate Schoenberg’s from Sexauer’s by by calling a Soloist (OM clone) an ES-15 and a Sexauer equivalent FT-15.

I am married to no specific template for any size guitar. Because I work without molds or similar fixtures, it is as easy for me to make one shape or size guitar as another. That said, as the years pass I have settled onto to favorite shapes and proportions.

My own FT-15 means a 15” wide 14 fretted, and would include Martin’s OM, but is not limited to it. I have recreated my favored version of this template many times over the years as I use heavy paper for the template, and it has a limited lifespan. My current aesthetic take on this standard of our industry uses Martin’s overall dimensions in length/width/depths/string length/etc. but there is some subtle variation in the where the widest and narrowest points of the bouts are placed. It is amazing how little change it takes to get an entirely different aesthetic.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Your P dred is looking real good. Looking forward to visiting with you at B.I.G.
I’d like to bring a dread to B.I.G but then I’d like to bring so many other things as well. So many guitars!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the explanations, Bruce. I find that I like both the trad and the more evolved expressions - they each have their place. And there’s a 00M in my future at some point....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop