The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Zoom R24- any experience?

I'm looking at this for recording and possibly as a live mixer to feed powered speakers. I don't see anything near the price for multitrack (more than 2) simultaneous recording. I'm not a pro, just looking for decent quality at a low price. Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshambroom View Post
I'm looking at this for recording and possibly as a live mixer to feed powered speakers. I don't see anything near the price for multitrack (more than 2) simultaneous recording. I'm not a pro, just looking for decent quality at a low price. Any thoughts?
I've used an R16 a fair amount. The sound quality is fine. For its use as a live mixer, the one negative I see is the need to go into the menu to make EQ and other tweaking type changes. If you don't need to make adjustments on the fly, it should do OK.

This video uses audio from the R16, combined with a little camera audio: http://www.youtube.com/franguidry#p/u/11/7gBUxBQGp-g

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks Fran, I liked your video. I'm in an acoustic trio- a standup bass and two multi-instrumentalists (including me) that collectively include guitars, Dobro, uke, harmonica, and a crazy foot drum I built. And we all sing. We'd like to record a bunch of our material, mostly to put on a Facebook page for promotion. It doesn't need to be flawless (either in performance or audio quality), we'd just like it to represent what we do. It seems to me it would be better to try to record "live" (without relying on overdubs) using multiple mics and true multi-track, then mixing it down and EQing and adding effects later. Am I correct that the Zoom R24 would be simple to use for this if I'm just planning to set levels and record each track "dry"? All the alternatives to the Zoom that I look at have multiple inputs, but they must be mixed down to stereo to go to the computer via USB. I also like the idea of leaving the Zoom set up in our rehearsal space without having to configure and set up the computer each time.

Also, as I mentioned, I'd like to be able to use the Zoom for occasional live mixing with outputs to powered speakers. Am I correct that your saying you can add FX (reverb) and EQ each channel, but that you have to go through menus?

Thanks for any help you can give. GC (or any place in the Twin Cities) doesn't seem to carry it, so I won't be able to kick the tires before an online purchase.

-Paul
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

My playing partner has one of these and it's great. Our recording of our practice sessions has become much easier and sounds much better than what we were doing before. We also use it as a mixer on his PA system. I'm pretty sure it will do everything you want.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshambroom View Post
Also, as I mentioned, I'd like to be able to use the Zoom for occasional live mixing with outputs to powered speakers. Am I correct that your saying you can add FX (reverb) and EQ each channel, but that you have to go through menus?

Thanks for any help you can give. GC (or any place in the Twin Cities) doesn't seem to carry it, so I won't be able to kick the tires before an online purchase.

-Paul
Yes, there are effects available but their parameters and levels are in menus. But if you're willing to read the manual and practice ahead of time you should be able to use it as a simple live mixer.

And I think it's a great rehearsal recording tool.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD