The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Using the Zoom 4Hn with an external microphone

Happy New Year Everyone!
I've used my 4Hn to record vocals and guitar at the same time but wished the vocals were a little louder in the mix. I'm pleased with how the Zoom 4Hn records but when I sing and play at the same time, depending on how the Zoom is positioned, the guitar is usually more present in the recording. I know I can play just the guitar and then add the vocals later but I'd rather just capture playing and singing at the same time. I have tried using an external microphone hooked into the Zoom as input 1 so that my vocals will be louder in the recording but when I listened through headphones, the external mic was only in the left ear. Is there a way to use the internal mics and add an external microphone that records on the left and right?
Thanks for any suggestions.
-Brian

EDIT: I was able to find the answer on YouTube. The solution: Click Menu> Input> Mono Mix> Click from Off to On and then the external mic will be on the left and right.

Last edited by starr; 01-01-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: found answer
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Don't play so loud.

It takes a while to get the balance right, but you are mixing as you perform. I see this at our song circles a lot. A member plays a song and is a little up tight so they over play the guitar and don't sing loud enough. One you hear that you're doing it, as you have, the fix is simple.

-Ty Ford
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi Ty,

Yeah, after listening to the playback I realized the issue is with the operator and not the equipment.

I did buy the MXL MCA SP1 mic to use with the Zoom but also for different situations after having read about the mic from some of your posts on other threads. I've been really pleased with the quality of the microphone especially at its price.
-Brian
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Default Glad You Shared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr View Post
...[clip]... EDIT: I was able to find the answer on YouTube. The solution: Click Menu> Input> Mono Mix> Click from Off to On and then the external mic will be on the left and right.
Thanks for sharing your solution, Brian. I got a new Zoom 4Hn for Christmas and am just in the very early learning process.

Ray
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 PM

I figured I would update my original post and ask a question on this thread instead of starting another.

Quote:
EDIT: I was able to find the answer on YouTube. The solution: Click Menu> Input> Mono Mix> Click from Off to On and then the external mic will be on the left and right.
This does not work in the 4CH mode. Instead you would have to buy a splitter that would feed into both inputs 1 & 2. My intent was to use an omni mic with the internal mics to record myself and two other friends playing guitar. I find that when I record using the internal mics and with me sitting at 3 o'clock, and my other two friends sitting at 12 & 6 o'clock and the Zoom at 9 o'clock, that when either of my friends sings it only really comes through either the left or right side depending on which friend is doing the singing. (When I sing it's in both channels due to where I'm sitting) I was hoping to find a way to have the singer's voice be recorded through both channnels regardless of who was singing and thought an omni mic placed in the center would do this.

My thinking is that by using the omni mic with the splitter, I will have
whoever is singing come through both channels. I do like the fact that the Zoom mics pick up the two different guitars in separate channels and if I use the omni mic, I'm wondering if I'll lose that.
Hope this makes sense.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Brian
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 AM

The Zoom h4n is a simple device if you want to do only 'point & click' recording, but the learning curve escalates quickly as you try leverage some of it's more sophisticated capabilities.

It would be great to hear more from others who have used the Zoom successfully.

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
I figured I would update my original post and ask a question on this thread instead of starting another.

This does not work in the 4CH mode. Instead you would have to buy a splitter that would feed into both inputs 1 & 2. My intent was to use an omni mic with the internal mics to record myself and two other friends playing guitar. I find that when I record using the internal mics and with me sitting at 3 o'clock, and my other two friends sitting at 12 & 6 o'clock and the Zoom at 9 o'clock, that when either of my friends sings it only really comes through either the left or right side depending on which friend is doing the singing. (When I sing it's in both channels due to where I'm sitting) I was hoping to find a way to have the singer's voice be recorded through both channnels regardless of who was singing and thought an omni mic placed in the center would do this.

My thinking is that by using the omni mic with the splitter, I will have
whoever is singing come through both channels. I do like the fact that the Zoom mics pick up the two different guitars in separate channels and if I use the omni mic, I'm wondering if I'll lose that.
Hope this makes sense.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Brian
I'm still a novice with my H4N, but what you describe sounds like it will work.

Another fairly inexpensive option - although it adds a component and cabling - is an inexpensive small mixer. Depending on what you think you'll build to, you can get a 5, 8, or 12 channel (any) for under $100 or so. You could set it up simply so that your mic goes in one channel and you output both channels into the H4N - functioning as a splitter, although it will also give you EQ, preamp, and level control. Or you could run all guitars into the mixer as well, do your mix on the mixer, and run both channels out to the Line In on the H4N.

I've had two Behringer mixers that made this easy; I know there are other mixers out there which also do a good job for not much $.

Thanks for the question... it will make me go try some things out on mine!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD