The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post
Congratulations! That looks like it's going to be an awesome guitar.

I had Bill Wise/Charis Acoustics build me a grand concert about 1-1/2 ago with some Wild Rosewood.
I think yours may have even more "figure" than mine has.

Thanks Gordee! I think I may have actually spoken to you about where you got your EIR and you told me to talk to Danny Brevard at Acoustic Music Pro. So I did and this is what he had at the time. Thanks for the tip.
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Joel just sent me some more photos, and boy am I getting excited! I'm really loving what Joel is doing with this guitar. Feast your eyes..........

Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Congrats on what looks to be a beautiful build. The EIR is outrageously nice. If you don't mind my asking, where did you acquire/find the back and sides set?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
*mahoganut*

Very nice.

Interesting - I can see why you like that back, but curious about combining it with mahogany sides. Granted that most luthiers I've heard with an opinion don't credit the sides with much contribution tone-wise, but wondering if you considered a set of RW sides, or anything else, and why you landed where you did?

I presume you did not have access to a complementary set of RW sides from the same back set?

Great job... beautiful flow to the whole. Looking forward to how it looks under finish!

Phil
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 PM

I am consistently impressed with the quality build threads in the Custom shop area. I love the flora inlay theme! Keep it coming...
Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Very nice.

Interesting - I can see why you like that back, but curious about combining it with mahogany sides. Granted that most luthiers I've heard with an opinion don't credit the sides with much contribution tone-wise, but wondering if you considered a set of RW sides, or anything else, and why you landed where you did?

I presume you did not have access to a complementary set of RW sides from the same back set?

Great job... beautiful flow to the whole. Looking forward to how it looks under finish!

Phil
Phil,
I think he's using double sides, which I think means they are on the inside of the EIR sides. I could be wrong for sure but I think that's what's happening.

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Very nice.

Phil

Hi Phil,
The Mahogany is going to be used for double sides on the inside of the guitar. If you look at the last batch of pictures a couple of posts above this one, you'll see the actual EIR sides that are being used now that the box is closed up. I bought the back and sides from Danny Brevard at Acoustic Music Pro a couple of years ago. Thanks for looking, and thanks to everyone for their wonderful comments on my new guitar!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post
Phil,
I think he's using double sides, which I think means they are on the inside of the EIR sides. I could be wrong for sure but I think that's what's happening.
Yup...that's it. IR outer, Mahogany inner for the sides. Joel pretty much always builds with double sides now, unless single sides is explicitly specified...he's found that the double sides provides more stiffness, which helps improve the overall sound generated by the top.
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM
*mahoganut*

Thanks all - makes perfect sense. My Baranik cocobolo has RW insides; the mahogany has mahogany insides; it didn't occur to me that the mahogany would do well on the inside of RW sides! (duh!).

Mike (Baranik) is also building with double sides - and in fact that allowed him to make the bends for the florentine cutaway on the quilted mahogany sides. And Tim McKnight is also exclusively making them with dbl sides.

And I wondered why the EIR back looked so good paired with those "mahogany" sides - color, grain, etc.!!!

Nice.. very nice.

Phil
Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Being already the owner of a guitar made by Joel (both of us), we know that you can't go wrong with a Stehr guitar, regardless of size, wood combination, etc.
Just get Joel to keep sending those pics!
Michael
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM

Well boys and girls. This is it. Joel just took these last 3 photos before he packed it up and sent it to Joe for finishing. I think that there's currently a six week backup at Joe White's so I won't see anything else until late February. But when it comes back 3 days later it gets shipped to "moi".
I'm excited. Here are the 3 pictures that Joel sent.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
*mahoganut*

Wow... I can't wait to see that under finish. It already looks exciting. And that LS is going to just pop as well...

I'll stay tuned!!

Phil
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM

This is a beauty coming together. Really love Joel's cutaway!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop