The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

I like to play "Knockin' Around The Zoo" from his first record. It's a fast funky blues and funny lyrics about his stay at a mental hospital (true).. It always surprises audiences to find out it's a JT song as it's not expected. I also like to play "Secret Of Life" as it's a really great song and fairly challenging. I do the usual suspects as well if the crowd is into it- "Fire and Rain" (still one of the best singer/songwriter songs), "Carolina In My Mind", "You Can Close Your Eyes", "Sweet Baby James", "Steamroller" etc... another good one I like to play that's less obvious is "Long Ago And Far Away"- great song... "I like to play "Machine Gun Kelly" too from the same "Mud Slide Slim" record- though that's a Danny Kortchmar song..

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM

If you are playing purely for your own enjoyment and like JT, Lightfoot, Buffett, whomever and want to concentrate solely on that artist's material - that's great, enjoy yourself. If you plan to perform in public however, I'd strongly advise against overloading your repertoire with one artist, UNLESS your are doing a tribute act and can absolutely nail the voice and guitar technique.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM

I play none but thanks to this post I've decided to learn Fire & Rain this week-end!.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
If you are playing purely for your own enjoyment and like JT, Lightfoot, Buffett, whomever and want to concentrate solely on that artist's material - that's great, enjoy yourself. If you plan to perform in public however, I'd strongly advise against overloading your repertoire with one artist, UNLESS your are doing a tribute act and can absolutely nail the voice and guitar technique.
Well of course you wouldn't. That pertty much goes without saying.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

None.......

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Me none - but I sometimes back a singer who does a few and I have to say when she launches into Sweet Baby James the whole place seems to start swaying in time to the music.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I disagree with this. I do play in public and I play in a duo. We do many songs together and I do quite a few solo numbers (although my partner will play lead behind me) and I alternate between John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot and no one seems to mind.

I do some of their obscure numbers so many people might not know it's a Denver or a Lightfoot tune.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM

hey Andromeda,

could you please PM me the list of the 50 Denver and 28 Lightfoot songs that you do?

I am looking to add some to my list.

Thanks,

Best,

Keyshore
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM

yeah, I love fooling around with JT stuff...........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCsLK7cpP0
Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 Man View Post
Well of course you wouldn't. That pertty much goes without saying.
I've encountered more than a few over the years who didn't get the memo.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM

I mainly do songs from the first two albums. U.K. audiences only seem to know Fire & Rain (everyone's favourite) and You've Got A Friend. I also do

You Can Close Your Eyes
Sweet Baby James
Soldiers
Carolina In My Mind
Long Ago and Far Away
Up On The Roof
Letter In The Mail - my personal favourite
Hey Mister, That's Me Up On The Jukebox
Riding On A Railroad
Shower The People
Machine Gun Kelly (rarely)

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I've encountered more than a few over the years who didn't get the memo.
I got the memo but I just threw it out.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I got the memo but I just threw it out.
Well, here's the thing, Andro. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, because there is no wrong. I can only tell you it would not satisfy me as a performer to limit myself to one or two artists' songbooks. Nor would I care to, as an audience member, listen to an act that has elected to so limit himself/themselves. If you're having success doing this and are enjoying yourself, well that's what it's all about, isn't it?

What I can tell you is if someone starting out were to ask my advice, it remains unchanged.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Well, here's the thing, Andro. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, because there is no wrong. I can only tell you it would not satisfy me as a performer to limit myself to one or two artists' songbooks. Nor would I care to, as an audience member, listen to an act that has elected to so limit himself/themselves. If you're having success doing this and are enjoying yourself, well that's what it's all about, isn't it?

What I can tell you is if someone starting out were to ask my advice, it remains unchanged.
I actually don't limit my playing to just those two artists. In a 20 song set I may do 10 songs which are a mix of Denver and Lightfoot tunes and the other ten mixed with various artists.

But it also depends on my audience. When my friend and I play at the nursing homes they tend to appreciate that the majority of songs I do are John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot tunes. But if I am playing at a festival we may do a little less. Heck, I have done some shows and only did one John Denver tune.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post

But it also depends on my audience. When my friend and I play at the nursing homes they tend to appreciate that the majority of songs I do are John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot tunes.

Uh-oh. I grew up on Denver and Lightfoot. Now people in nursing homes like the same thing? Uh-oh.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD