The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats! I love a light build. You can almost feel every note when you play. And there is something about a sweet smelling guitar. Love that blast when you open the case.

Play on!
I need to weigh it. It is by far the lightest full sized guitar I have ever picked up. I have thought about adding strap buttons to it and electronics but I don't want to because it takes away some of the novelty of it just being so dang light. I do most of my playing sitting down and I already have so many other guitars with electronics. I want to keep this one simple and beautiful. I haven't gagged in ages anyways so...

As far as the smell goes, it's amazing. I think a lot of it comes from the cedar neck but I can`t get enough of it. It is definitely the finest case opening smell I've had the pleasure of being around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Love the back and overall aesthetic of this dreadnought.

Congrats!
Thanks so much. Ed worked with me to get what I had in my head into something I could hold in my hands and really knocked it out of the park. It's so much better than I had even dreamed of.

I told Ed what I wanted it to look like and a few months later he tells me he is getting in some black limba that he thinks is just what I am looking for and sure enough he was right. That is how I came to own the first (and still the only Ed?) black limba Halcyon. I sure hope those other sets get spoken for so I can see them get turned into beautiful guitars. The wenge binding was also his idea. I had never even heard of that wood before. I told him I wanted dark binding to set it off. He made the suggestion, I looked up what the heck he was talking about, and then agreed 100% that he was right again.

I just love it. Side note: that case fits it like a glove. I was worried that with a custom guitar I might not get that perfect case engagement I have with all my Taylors. It is exactly the same. You rest it on the case and push it down ever so slightly. Perfect.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you love it.

It's a standard dread form Stew-Mac plans, the easiest guitar to find cases for.

Yes, I still have 4-5 sets from the same batch just awaiting someone's desires

It is without doubt the lightest wood I've ever used. And so, so very pretty to look at!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
Thanks so much. Ed worked with me to get what I had in my head into something I could hold in my hands and really knocked it out of the park. It's so much better than I had even dreamed of.
Not that Ed needs any of my help at this point (or ever did), but I know there are both skeptics and fence sitters still out there. 44Runner's above words and especially the colored ones seem to ring true for most if not every Halcyon owner and certainly every one I've encountered. You will be hard pressed to find a better build and tone for the buck at any price point. Get one soon and for the purists in the lot, get one hand made by Ed and Ryan, pre CNC installation. IMO guitars that are hand carved and cut just have more soul so I count myself fortunate to have found Ed when I did.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 08-28-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:33 AM

Ed: Less is more..............you did a super job without going into glitz. One super nice looking guitar and your workmanship looks like the top of the heap as your customer says. CONGRATS man.
Tom
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM

The old bones they get to wearing, they do.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Wow, really like this rosette, Ed! What does the Spanish cedar bring to the table besides the unique cedar "aroma"?

And next question, surprised it didn't come up whilst we were deep into Lutz (Lutz in my experience has been as described above and I'm interested to hear torrefied Lutz): Where does Black Limba sit in the tonal world? It looks kind of like a walnut - Ovangkol hybrid in this picture.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Black limba is way left of spectrum towards mahogany. I've never worked with anything lighter. Though, it doesn't really sound 'like' mahogany, yet 'mahogany like' is as close as I can describe. It doesn't have the midrange honk of mahogany. Possibles 'bassier' than mahogany, but still dry without a huge overtone overload. That's as much as I can tell you after one guitar. Sure is pretty!

The Spanish cedar brings availability to the table. It's softer and much easier to carve than mahogany, but you'll probably want to be careful with your capo tension if you have the adjustable style. It still makes a great neck wood and I'll take more anywhere I can find it.

Mahogany in general is hard to find in guitar grade quality, especially in Canada due to CITES. 12/4 mahogany does not exist any place I've looked in Canada. Sometimes you can find Khaya in 12/4 but not often. Sadly, I think the era of one piece necks is coming to an end. We rummaged through an entire lift of Fijian mahogany and got exactly two boards that can be turned into 2 piece laminates. May have to resort to scarf joints and stacked heels. I'm sure it's out there somewhere...

You US woodophiles have it good

Last edited by Halcyon/Tinker; 09-12-2015 at 01:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop