The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 AM

I am using this USB mic. It sounds good enough for what I need.

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM

Another couple of queries on entry level recording:

How do you record video and sound together so that you get the sound quality of a recording device but with the video? Would you record both at the same time, mute the video's audio and overlay the separate audio file/s?

Just out of interest is there anything on the market that can recognize different instruments and split them in to separate tracks for editing e.g. guitar and vocals? or is that wishful thinking?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder007 View Post
I've never recorded before other than with a cheap video camera that's a few years old and doesn't sound great. I'm intrigued after reading this thread and would love to give it a go myself.

A couple of questions on the Zoom H2:-

Can you do multi-track recordings with it?
How do you sync the tracks afterwards, separate software or does it come with software?

All I really want to be able to do is record a couple of guitar parts plus vocals and add them together afterwards.
The H2 can be used as a stereo USB mic. You connect it to the USB port of your computer, select it as the audio input in your recording software, and you're ready to go.

Your ability to multitrack and sync is up to the software. Some recording software compensates for latency (internal processing delay) while others, like Audacity, do not. If the software doesn't do latency compensation, it's a pretty siimple matter to line up the tracks properly by dragging them with the mouse.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
Do you have to purchase an audio interface for your computer to use Audacity or GarageBand? Thx
The H2 functions as a stereo mic, preamp, a/d converter, and interface all in one. Just connect it via USB to your computer and select the interface option on the H2.

Fran
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder007 View Post
Another couple of queries on entry level recording:

How do you record video and sound together so that you get the sound quality of a recording device but with the video? Would you record both at the same time, mute the video's audio and overlay the separate audio file/s?

Yes, you bring the video track into your NLE (non linear editor), bring your audio track in, line them up, then mute the audio on the video track and render the result.

A nice sharp clap at the beginning and end of your recording makes it much easier to line things up.

You can do this sync post processing in REAPER: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...deo-in-reaper/

Fran
Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
The price of the Zoom H2 makes it hard to beat as a do-it-all option...
The H2 does not multi-track, correct? So, if hooked up to your computer for recording, it's essentially a USB stereo microphone?

-Gnobuddy
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 AM

I don't know if it does in-recorder multitracking or not but I can't imagine using it that way even if it offers the feature. What a pain, fiddly little buttons, inscrutible display and multiple-level "modal" menus. Yikes.

I do know you can record on it and then transfer the track to the computer or you can use it as a stereo USB microphone, albeit one with decent preamps. Either way, that's its best usage IMO.

P.S. If I recall correctly the H4 is the Zoom model that does in-recorder multitracking.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 01-22-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobuddy View Post
The H2 does not multi-track, correct? So, if hooked up to your computer for recording, it's essentially a USB stereo microphone?

-Gnobuddy
This is correct. The idea is to use the H2 as a stereo USB mic and run digital audio workstation software on the computer. The multitracking takes place in the DAW software.

Fran
Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
This is correct. The idea is to use the H2 as a stereo USB mic and run digital audio workstation software on the computer. The multitracking takes place in the DAW software.

Fran
Thanks, Fran. That's what I thought. That makes this approach (H2 as USB mic) a more expensive way of doing exactly what I suggested in post #4.

On the plus side, you get a standalone recorder as well as a USB mic, which might be useful for other projects.

-Gnobuddy
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it does in-recorder multitracking or not but I can't imagine using it that way even if it offers the feature.
Yeah. My thoughts exactly. That's why the H2 or H4 was not my recommendation if Lizzie had any intentions of multi-tracking.
Quote:
If I recall correctly the H4 is the Zoom model that does in-recorder multitracking.
I didn't know the H4 did that, though as you say I'm sure it's more than a little fiddly to use.

The Zoom H2 and H4 have a big brother, the Zoom R16 (now joined or replaced by the R24). It does multi-tracking very nicely. The R16 records up to eight tracks simultaneously, plays back up to sixteen simultaneously. And if you want more than the onboard mixing and editing features, you can transfer the tracks to a DAW easily. But it wasn't in the OP's budget, as far as I understand.

I really like the R16, real knobs and faders and no futzing around with a computer, an operating system, a mouse, and a keyboard while I'm recording.

-Gnobuddy
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

it's good to know about using the H2 as a usb mic. fran, you just saved me about $100 and some space on my desktop.

are you running Reaper on PC or Mac?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanocsk View Post
it's good to know about using the H2 as a usb mic. fran, you just saved me about $100 and some space on my desktop.

are you running Reaper on PC or Mac?
I'm a PC guy all the way so far. Had a Mac 128 when they came out but didn't care for that flavor of koolaid.

Fran
Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

i was never a fan, but i am running both PC and Mac now......each has its merits, but for Reaper, PC is the most tested format.

i'm going to give the H2 a try as a mic. saves me from buying yet another microphone- at least to use with Garageband.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD