The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 04:31 PM

Default I’m starting to think string choice is overrated.

After 10 years of playing and trying dozens and dozens of strings, I’m starting to think it rarely matters. Just about any string can make a guitar sound good. It’s more about the guitar. I think the issue is weeding out the occasional string that sounds bad, not finding the one that sounds the best.

Update: I should have been specific and say string brand choice. String weight and type are not overrated. But, once that's settled the rest is a bit overrated.

Last edited by Rosewood99; 09-28-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:42 PM

I could possibly agree.

I was a die hard Gibson Master Built string guy (still have about 5 packs left)

Then, I switched over to Martin SP 4100 / 4200 lights medium.

Now, I'm on D'Addario EJ16 / EJ17 Phosphor Bronze.

Whatever is on sale.

I'm getting really good performance with my D'Addario strings, much better than Gibson Masterbuilt or Martin.

MGF
Old 09-27-2020, 04:45 PM

Yes and no.

Yes there are guitars out there that can sound great with almost any strings but no, there are also guitars out there that need a specific string to sound their best.

I have a relatively cheap laminated maple Epiphone EJ-200 that sounds pretty ordinary with a lot of strings but for some reason DR Sunbeam lights lift it to a whole different level - I've tried different strings in between changes but get the same massive tone, volume and balance upgrade every time I go back to the Sunbeams.

I tried the Sunbeams on my solid maple Huss & Dalton and ... they didn't add anything special at all!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:48 PM

Default The choice of GAUGE DOES MATTER

Forgot to mention

MGF
Old 09-27-2020, 05:06 PM

I will say that I track what's on each of my guitars to determine what tone is best. There are a number of string variations that work well on each. I don't tend to find one that is the Holy Grail, if you will. D'Addario PB and NB, Martin Monels and PB, DR Dragon Skins have all performed well for me and most perform equally well on each guitar, although I do tend to prefer NB or Monels on my mahogany guitars. There have been few string sets I've tried that I just didn't like, and when that occurs it's generally due to feel issue rather than tone concerns.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:11 PM

yup...good call....overrated
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Paul, I do think that all string brands have more similarities than differences. But I have found that there are some strings that sound better enough that it’s worth getting and using them. I wouldn’t be an artist endorser for John Pearse strings if I didn’t feel that they work, sound and last better for me.

I have one friend whose favorite guitar strings are D’Addario phosphor bronze. They last him a long time, but John Pearse strings don’t last him nearly as long.

I’m just the opposite: I can leave a set of John Pearse phosphors on my guitars for six to eight weeks, but the D’Addarios die on me within a week.

So there are some skin chemistry issues that can vary from one brand to another. That’s not hyperbole, but simple, observable fact.

But I do agree that the tonal and durability differences between different brands of strings can be exaggerated, particularly in the sort of intense, hothouse atmosphere of online guitar discussion forums like this one.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Are counterfeit strings a factor here? Which brands are more likely to show up in counterfeit form? It looks like D'Addario is doing a lot to counter the counterfeiting of their strings.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
After 10 years of playing and trying dozens and dozens of strings, I’m starting to think it rarely matters. Just about any string can make a guitar sound good. It’s more about the guitar. I think the issue is weeding out the occasional string that sounds bad, not finding the one that sounds the best.
How does one know what string sounds best? I mean, no matter how many sets you try there might be something better. In the search for the best, as soon as you put a set of strings on your guitar you are duty bound to find something else to try. I can't see how that game can be won.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Only string I ever used that actually made a difference was Rotosound. Been using them exclusively now going on 30 years. Acoustic Electric Mandolin
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
After 10 years of playing and trying dozens and dozens of strings, I’m starting to think it rarely matters. Just about any string can make a guitar sound good. It’s more about the guitar. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Paul, I do think that all string brands have more similarities than differences. But I have found that there are some strings that sound better enough that it’s worth getting and using them.

But I do agree that the tonal and durability differences between different brands of strings can be exaggerated, particularly in the sort of intense, hothouse atmosphere of online guitar discussion forums like this one.

Wade Hampton Miller
I do think that your are correct in that it is more about the Guitar....and one step further= the most important, the Player.
The Same Scenario goes for Recording and microphones. Great players can sound good with many different types of microphones.
But then there are people like myself...who's music Identity-style-credibility is very particular to the tiniest of detail. If everything is not just right, it just won't work for me.
I can tell you that I am not alone in this thesis. Because of some of my past professions and hobbies I have known many acclaimed champions in their respective fields. They are fanatical about every last detail in their equipment and the items that support their equipment.
Sometimes that tiny little difference...makes enough of a difference to make the player play that much better. That tiny difference....inspires.
So while as Wade said..there are more similarities than differences..there is still some difference, some uniqueness between strings to make a difference to some players.
It certainly did for myself.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m starting to think it rarely matters.
If you are performing yes I agree. 99% in the crowd aren't going to know or care what strings are on the guitar. They are going to hear a guitar.

Now from a sitting at home personal enjoyment standpoint, they absolutely matter for those who hear the difference.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:25 PM

All guitars sound like guitars. I suspect it depends greatly on a combination of how good your ears are and how fussy you are.

If you think all guitars sound the same what possible difference would it make which one you play? Same for strings.

After all, any car will get you from point A to point B, so why do they make so many different cars?

But I agree that strings are one of those variables that make subtle differences. I can't think of any strings that would make me cry if I had to play them.

The concept of "overrated" is overrated. I believe overrated usually means doesn't work for me (or doesn't matter to me). If I think my $300 guitar sounds as good as your $3,000 guitar - your guitar is overrated.

I have strings that I like quite a bit more than many other strings, so the difference matters to me. I suspect if I liked high/full tension bright strings I'd be less fussy.

Sorry for getting carried away, but I believe language matters (but I'm just being fussy again).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Can't really get on board with the premise. Different string sets change the tone of the guitar too much to play if off as insignificant. It's true that a no set of string will make a bad guitar sound great or a great guitar sound terrible, but the tone can dramatically change from one set to another (and by this I mean different sets in name, not two sets of the strings of the same make and name).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 PM

I'm starting to think along those lines.

Why? I have a mahogany-topped guitar coming in Tuesday. I researched on the forum posts which basically asked "What are the best strings for a mahogany guitar?" The answers were basically ... all strings.

Most people preferred phosphor bronze. But a few suggested 80/20 and there was a noticeable group who suggested strings with strong fundamentals, such as Monels, Retros, Aluminium Bronze and I think Nickel Bronze.

That is just about most types of strings, at least the ones I'm familiar with.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion