The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Fairbanks F-35 Super Smeck

Those of you that may know me here or on other forums know of my deep appreciation/lust and ownership of pre war Gibson flat tops. I’ve owned and still own some of Gibson’s finest pre war. models. The Roy Smeck model has always been of particular interest to me and I have owned several. Being partial to 12 fret bodied dreadnoughts IMO, Smecks are just monsterous and incredible sounding Instruments. Most are built as Hawaiian guitars having huge necks with a 2 1/4 nut width. Many of these guitars have been converted to Spanish style by either a) having a new neck made or b) having the neck shaved and reshaped down to either 1 7/8s or 1 3/4 nut width. However, even after being converted the necks are still left much too large for me. I have wound up selling everyone I’ve owned due to not acclimating to the neck size.
The coolest Smeck I have ever seen was one that was pictured in the 1993 book, Acoustic guitars and Other Fretted Instrumenrs by Gruhn/Carter. It was a one of a kind/custom ordered Roy Smeck Super 400 Acoustic Guitar from 1935. Years later, I did see this guitar show up in an auction and then on Eric Schoenberg’s list of guitars for sale, After that (circa 2016) I recall seeing that Dale Fairbanks had made a an exact replica of this guitar and thought how cool it would be to own one. When one appeared on Reverb last week, I was on a mission.

Well just ecstatic to report that this fine instrument has been in my procession and I am just in awe. This is a 2017 Fairbanks F-35 Super Smeck with an immaculate build quality that just sounds incredible and like nothing else I own. Most of my curent instruments are either mahogany or rosewood back & sides with a red spruce top. This maple back & sides /red spruce topped guitar is a nice change. After getting some set up work for my particular liking, this guitar plays and feels wonderful. The finish work and wood selection is top notch. The guitar is huge sounding with very powerful trebles and volume. It really looks and sounds like an old guitar. I am super impressed with Dale’s work and his ability to capture that old Gibson tone. I am now a believer/fan of Fairbanks guitars and glad to share my post here.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsj200 View Post
Those of you that may know me here or on other forums know of my deep appreciation/lust and ownership of pre war Gibson flat tops. I’ve owned and still own some of Gibson’s finest pre war. models. The Roy Smeck model has always been of particular interest to me and I have owned several. Being partial to 12 fret bodied dreadnoughts IMO, Smecks are just monsterous and incredible sounding Instruments. Most are built as Hawaiian guitars having huge necks with a 2 1/4 nut width. Many of these guitars have been converted to Spanish style by either a) having a new neck made or b) having the neck shaved and reshaped down to either 1 7/8s or 1 3/4 nut width. However, even after being converted the necks are still left much too large for me. I have wound up selling everyone I’ve owned due to not acclimating to the neck size.
The coolest Smeck I have ever seen was one that was pictured in the 1993 book, Acoustic guitars and Other Fretted Instrumenrs by Gruhn/Carter. It was a one of a kind/custom ordered Roy Smeck Super 400 Acoustic Guitar from 1935. Years later, I did see this guitar show up in an auction and then on Eric Schoenberg’s list of guitars for sale, After that (circa 2016) I recall seeing that Dale Fairbanks had made a an exact replica of this guitar and thought how cool it would be to own one. When one appeared on Reverb last week, I was on a mission.

Well just ecstatic to report that this fine instrument has been in my procession and I am just in awe. This is a 2017 Fairbanks F-35 Super Smeck with an immaculate build quality that just sounds incredible and like nothing else I own. Most of my curent instruments are either mahogany or rosewood back & sides with a red spruce top. This maple back & sides /red spruce topped guitar is a nice change. After getting some set up work for my particular liking, this guitar plays and feels wonderful. The finish work and wood selection is top notch. The guitar is huge sounding with very powerful trebles and volume. It really looks and sounds like an old guitar. I am super impressed with Dale’s work and his ability to capture that old Gibson tone. I am now a believer/fan of Fairbanks guitars and glad to share my post here.
That's a fantastic instrument. I saw that one come up as well. Dale is making one for me next summer.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That's a fantastic instrument. I saw that one come up as well. Dale is making one for me next summer.
Thanks Juston. Awesome! I spoke with Dale last week and he said is building his forth Super Speck. Great choice.

Btw, I came very close to purchasing that B&H 12 fret D-18. Glad you got it and are enjoying it. I guess we have similar tastes in guitars.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:04 PM

That is an exceptional looking instrument! I bet tonally it's a beast as well. I only ever played 2 Smecks (a 41 and a 36) and both were phenomenal in tone. I know exactly what you mean with the necks though. They are *big*
Old 09-14-2020, 03:41 AM

Congratulations Fred. It’s amazing to see the quality guitars that Dale was able to create in such a small workshop. Now that he has a partnership with Adam Buchwald (Circle Strings, Iris Guitars), and his very own 15 x 30 spray booth, I think we will see lots more incredible instruments.

Best,

Rick
Old 09-14-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
That is an exceptional looking instrument! I bet tonally it's a beast as well. I only ever played 2 Smecks (a 41 and a 36) and both were phenomenal in tone. I know exactly what you mean with the necks though. They are *big*
Thanks Will. Yes, beast is a great way to describe the power of this guitar. It has the best of both worlds for me. A Roy Smeck body with a very manageable/playable neck. Then there’s the maple body, which (IMO) kind of gives it a mid 30s maple Nick Lucas vibe.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Congratulations Fred. It’s amazing to see the quality guitars that Dale was able to create in such a small workshop. Now that he has a partnership with Adam Buchwald (Circle Strings, Iris Guitars), and his very own 15 x 30 spray booth, I think we will see lots more incredible instruments.

Best,

Rick
Thanks Rick. Although I am mostly a lurker on this forum, I give many thanks and appreciation to the many people here who turned me on to Dale’s Instruments. Judging by my new guitar, He is a fine craftsman and builds amazing guitars.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:26 AM

gorgeous. love that figuring on the back... 100% Sweet..
Old 09-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi fred, i read your thread and instantly reached for the book mentioned, and saw a Radio Grande page 156, and also the HG-2 on page 157 which seems to have been the model for Mr Fairbank's Roy Smeck - even to the fretmarkers and pick guard.

I am a 12 fret (wider fretboard) fan and all my flat-tops are of pre 1934 Martin designs -although not by Martin.

My search for a Gibson style Roy Smeck like guitar started in 2008 (a gift to me for my 60th birthday), I ordered a 12 fret deep bodied Huss & Dalton (DS12) but sadly it proved to be a costly failure, for myself and for the dealer.

I then searched for the only other maker that might have been accessible to me and sourced a Santa Cruz "RS" in 2014.
I finally found one on ebay in the USA offered "CONUS" but I managed to convince the seller to send it to me in the UK.

The neck - 24.75 scale, 1 & 13/16" nutwidth and 2 & 5/16" string spacing suits me very well,
It has taken a long time for it to really open up, initially with an extended time on a tonerite, and now after six years of playing has suddenly blossomed.
It isn't a guitar that I'd normally gig with as I prefer 12 fret dreadnoughts and I have found that it is one of those instruments that sounds great and project well to an audience but the player doesn't quite hear the tone and resonance, so, initially when performing solo, I've tended to over play it a little.

Mine is a sitka (or is it? - ed. with hog back and sides, and if I could improve on it, I'd probably choose EIR. and Nick Lucas fretmarkers, but I'm happy enough - loving the neck profile and the sunburst.
It was worth waiting for.

I have yet to try a Fairbanks although some have come into the UK.

I'd love to see you playing it on some YouTube videos. Here's mine !

Here it is in a comparison with my sitka/hog Collings dread.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice Score!!!

I too saw your new beauty on Reverb... the small world syndrome strikes again.

Really hard to top the tone of a fine Luthier built 12 fret BIG BODY.

Silly M, your videos are very informative! Hope you get many lessons and have zoom fun!

I bet many of you folks drawn to the above ax would love John Kinnaird's large 12 frets! The additional benefits of bevels and soundport, all John's (and some of my) many innovative build ideas and custom neck carve are hard to resist, and the tone and VOLUME are outstanding.

What a beauty. Have fun and make tons of music with it!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 09-14-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey Silly Moustache,

Nice guitars!!! Unfortunately i do not have a way to properly record my guitars. Going straight through my iphone or ipad does not do any justice to the sound of my guitars.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I too saw your new beauty on Reverb... the small world syndrome strikes again.

Really hard to top the tone of a fine Luthier built 12 fret BIG BODY.

Silly M, your videos are very informative! Hope you get many lessons and have zoom fun!

I bet many of you folks drawn to the above ax would love John Kinnaird's large 12 frets! The additional benefits of bevels and soundport, all John's (and some of my) many innovative build ideas and custom neck carve are hard to resist, and the tone and VOLUME are outstanding.

What a beauty. Have fun and make tons of music with it!

Salud

Paul
Hi Paul, Thanks for the kind words and will do!
Old 09-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsj200 View Post
Hey Silly Moustache,

Nice guitars!!! Unfortunately i do not have a way to properly record my guitars. Going straight through my iphone or ipad does not do any justice to the sound of my guitars.
Hi Fred. I make all my videos with a Zoom Q4. Two little condesner mics in xy pattern.
No editing or enhancements - straight onto YouTube.

There seems to be one or two on the US ebay.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 PM

Nice! The level of detail on that model is stunning in photos — I can only imagine what it sounds and looks like in person. Enjoy!
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Nice! The level of detail on that model is stunning in photos — I can only imagine what it sounds and looks like in person. Enjoy!
Thanks! It does sound as good as it looks.

My two Supers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 583A3493-030A-4A15-B13E-FC55F2B6729E.jpg (39.1 KB, 126 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop