The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 AM

Default New Venture in luthiery. Churchland Guitars/Chapter 1

I've been a member on this forum for a long time. From my infancy as a guitar player at the ripe old age of 16 this forum helped expose me to alot of fantastic builders and it's really nice to see alot of them still building after over a decade of reading on here.

For the past 5 years I had not really been happy with where I was as a person or as a musician, I had become a rather snarky angry individual and I really needed to change something. I have been practicing the repair trade for a while now, it pays the bills but still I wasn't quite where I wanted to be. I figured that rather than simply continue doing the same thing and spinning my tires that I should try something new and take a risk. And so building has become a new thing for me. When trying to come up with a name to build under my wife suggested that I use a variation on my last name of Kirkland. So Churchland (like Churchill but just with "land" instead of "hill") became the name and it stuck.

Since we like to talk about these things my building method is below basic. I have no power tools save for a fleishman binding machine. Everything else is completely (and I absolutely mean *completely*) done by hand, thicknessing, bending, carving etc... My apartment is so small with myself the wife and our little 1 year old that I have no choice but to do it this way. I don't do it out of any romance because trust me, it is ALOT of work compared to using a machine. Thicknessing especially takes a while with a little no. 3 plane but it does allow some control over the final product in a way you can't get with a machine. Bending is challenging because I simply don't have room for a mold. And so I've learned to build completely without a mold.

To date I've completed 2 instruments. One was a prototype of my jumbo design and the second is this one that I'm quite proud of. Lots of different design elements went into this thing but nothing too insane.

Here's some mediocre pics. I snuck it into my shop and used our photo booth to snap some quick ones of it.

Some simple specs.
Old growth Adirondack spruce top
Fiddleback maple B/S
Adirondack bracing
Very forward shifted and heavily scalloped x bracing
Finish: Shellac

Fingerboard and bridge both came from a single reclaimed piece of BRW that I procured. It had *exactly* enough width for the fingerboard which is why it's a little narrow on the extension.

The upper bout is intentionally asymmetrical. Instead of a cutaway I call it a "fadeaway" since the taper creates a slightly lower portion to give just a little better access to the upper frets without the need for a large cutaway.

I'll put up some soundclips soon. Usually after 2 or 3 weeks they really change alot. At this point she's about 2 weeks old.

The inspiration for the design came from a combination of my love for old Gibsons, the overly large Larson Bros. designs of the late 30s, Jimmy D'aquisto's minimalist ideals, Tony Klassen's designs, and a few other points but those are the biggest ones for me.

I may continue to post in this thread as an online journal if anyone is interested in following my future build endeavors. It's exciting to take a first step into a new area!

Here is a little clip of some tunes to keep you from having to scroll through the comments.

Last edited by D. Churchland; 09-13-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added soundclip
Old 09-04-2020, 01:18 PM

Congrats on a great looking build and a wonderful story. I can't believe you were able to do this in your apartment. So beyond congrats for a great guitar, let me congratulate you on a great wife as well!!!!
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 PM

Congratulations on your build. Looking forward to hearing some clips.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I love the esthetic of that guitar. I find it amazing that you did this by hand. I think you have a great future as a luthier if you continue with this kind of work.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Tom said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats on a great looking build and a wonderful story. I can't believe you were able to do this in your apartment. So beyond congrats for a great guitar, let me congratulate you on a great wife as well!!!!
No kidding! Way to go. And nice set of inspirational Luthiers

Looks CLEAN and sleek.

Congratulations

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-05-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you Tom! Yes my wife is unbelievably patient with all this to say the least.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
I love the esthetic of that guitar. I find it amazing that you did this by hand. I think you have a great future as a luthier if you continue with this kind of work.
Thank you I appreciate that.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
No kidding! Way to go. And nice set of inspirational Luthiers

Looks CLEAN and sleek.

Congratulations

Paul
Thank you Paul.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
Congratulations on your build. Looking forward to hearing some clips.
Thank you. I have a few tunes I've been working on I've been wanting to get recorded. No time like the present I guess.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Good luck, looks like you have a good foundation to start from.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Good luck, looks like you have a good foundation to start from.
Thank you.

Finally had some free time today to sit down and record a little soundclip, some fingerstyle with some chord strumming and some old timey style stuff for variety plus a small bit of a christmas tune.

Also there's some baby laughs in the background at the end though, the joys of family life.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:27 AM

Looks good and sounds it too. Good luck on your endeavor!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Looks good and sounds it too. Good luck on your endeavor!
Thank you. This one will probably go up for sale soon! It's interesting how much they break in and age even after just 3 or 4 weeks
Old 09-14-2020, 11:54 AM

wow... she sounds like she's quite the canon.. (aka loud)...

impressive...
Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
wow... she sounds like she's quite the canon.. (aka loud)...

impressive...
Thank you. I need to get some flatpickers to try it out and see how it fares with a group of instruments then. It's not overwhelmingly bassy but it has alot of power.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop