The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Default Rainsong Shorty in Access Stage 1 Gigbag in Flight!

I flew Delta to a music conference last week and decided to take my Shorty instead of one of my 'travel guitars'. I had it in a Access Stage 1 gigbag with an added neck support. It worked out great! Super lightweight and comfortable carrying through the airports, and no hassles getting it on the planes. In fact, on each flight I asked nicely if it could be stowed up front (all flights were completely full), and the flight attendants cheerfully stowed it in the first class closet on every flight! (I did pay extra for early boarding which I do think made a difference.)It was so nice to have my favorite guitar with me, and I could not have had a better experience flying with the guitar.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

The Access bag is my choice for my Shorty, as well. Glad it worked well for your flight (and the flight crew was cooperative).
Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 AM

Any experience (good or bad) with flying commercial air with the Emerald X7 in the supplied gigbag? I hope to be doing that at some time in the future.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 AM

It appears that Delta has mended their ways. They used to be the absolute worst for guitars and the way they treated guitar players. I have avoided flying on Delta for years for that reason......one bad experience was plenty (paid $$$$ for a first class ticket and was still forced to gate check). Glad they treated you well, Penny.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Guest 928

Penny;

You were the one who turned me on Access bags and I haven't looked back. They are well made, well fitting, and well priced. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 PM

I've searched online for an Access Stage 1 gig bag for my Shorty but can only find the Stage 3 models. Where does find a Stage 1 model and what's the correct size for the Shorty.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Try here.......
http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-...bag-126492.htm
for dreadnought sizes. Or this one.....
http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-...bag-126491.htm
for 3/4 sized guitars. My guess is that is the best one for the Shorty, but I have not double checked the dimensions.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM

The bag you want is the small body acoustic, AB1SA1

Here's one place to get it

http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/sh...GC&item=AB1SA1
Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the link. I look forward to traveling more with my Shorty.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I've searched online for an Access Stage 1 gig bag for my Shorty but can only find the Stage 3 models. Where does find a Stage 1 model and what's the correct size for the Shorty.
Thanks
One guy's opinion: I have the Access Stage 1, and it is a nice bag; added a neck support (it needs it). If I were doing it again, I would buy the Stage 3, which comes with a neck support and is a sturdier bag (more like the GSmini that gets a lot of love on AGF). I understand that Access designed and originally made the GSmini bag for Taylor.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:14 PM

One gal's opinion here -
the Stage One bag is considerably lighter (4lbs vs 8lbs) while still being very protective. No hesitation to fly with it with the added neck support. The weight was a BIG consideration for me personally. I have a Monocase M80 000 size bag which is an awesome fit, but I prefer the lighter weight of the Stage One bag. If the weight was not a consideration, certainly the Stage 3 bag is more protective and may suit your needs better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber