The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 PM

Maple...ahhhhhh, maple...in the hands of a mastercraftsman...then transferred to the hands of a master guitarist...ahhhhh, maple...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Merci JF.

I'll always be a rosewood guy --
Always is a word I try not to use...

Besides...I've always been partial to blondes, but never said no to a brunette...

Good choice to go with the blonde this time !

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 06-11-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Maple...ahhhhhh, maple...in the hands of a mastercraftsman...then transferred to the hands of a master guitarist...ahhhhh, maple...
I'm certainly a master of SPSS, Bill.

But as far as music is concerned, I hope to be a good player by the time I retire...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
Always is a word I try not to use...

Besides...I've always been partial to blondes, but never said no to a brunette...

Good choice to go with the blonde this time !
Having a preference doesn't mean I need to be stupid...

But unlike you I've said "no" before. Sometimes a guy needs to be selective...
Old 06-11-2015, 08:01 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Of course I'm really looking forward to following along! Perhaps living vicariously will help me to not commission any other build until 2016.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
This is going to be a special guitar, Mau! Congrats, I'm very happy for you.
Thanks Curt!

I knew that Jim would pick out a nice set of maple but actually seeing it makes me very happy. I think it's going to be a stunner.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Of course I'm really looking forward to following along! Perhaps living vicariously will help me to not commission any other build until 2016.
Life is short. One build a year is reasonable... I think you should get a sibling for your Baranik...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

This is going to be a beauty for sure! +1 for maple being very underrated as a tonewood!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Life is short. One build a year is reasonable... I think you should get a sibling for your Baranik...
That's a great way convince She Who Must Not Be Named to execute me
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
This is going to be a beauty for sure! +1 for maple being very underrated as a tonewood!
Mr. Wren,you are one of very few luthiers I've heard (read) make a positive comment about maple as a tonewood. It would be nice if you, luthier of great talent and experience, could go a little further with your opinion and give more infos on this suject.

Thank you,

J-F

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, most luthiers who I have spoken with really like working with maple. Along with rosewood and mahogany, it is one of the great tonewoods. It is the sonic stereotypes that players repeat on internet forums like this that is usually prejudicial to maple.

Quote:
Mr. Wren,you are one of very few luthiers I've heard (read) make a positive comment about maple as a tonewood. It would be nice if you, luthier of great talent and experience, could go a little further with your opinion and give more infos on this suject.

Thank you,

J-F
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
In my experience, most luthiers who I have spoken with really like working with maple. Along with rosewood and mahogany, it is one of the great tonewoods. It is the sonic stereotypes that players repeat on internet forums like this that is usually prejudicial to maple.
I get that same vibe too, and oddly enough I've found Taylor has taken a step towards breaking that stereotype by making a series with stained maple. I've played it and found it to be appealing.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 PM

Maple is not a popular choice if your idea of the perfect guitar is a Martin -- but if you look at Gibson you'll find maple at the very top of the chain (e.g. J-200, J-185).

While there's nothing wrong with maple, with all else being equal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a flat-top guitar -- and I bet it wouldn't be the first choice of a majority of luthiers and players either. Short of the conspiracy theory, I think there's a reason for that.

Some experts have speculated that people generally don't like light-coloured guitars. Others (like me) would argue that sound is a factor.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark when I suggest that a majority of players want a guitar that sounds warm and full. Of course maple can give you plenty of that -- but with all else being equal it won't be the top contender.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I respectfuly disagree, to some of this. It is true that maple doesn't always get good reviews and that the stereotypes are not very favorable. But this originate from where ?

1) My time spent on this forum has led me to think that a lot of stereotypes repeated by players are taken from or largely inspired by luthiers.

2) I don't read many positive posts from luthiers about maple.

3) Some luthiers have more experience then other, some have more or less always worked with the same woods and therefore may have an hearsay knowledge about some other tomewoods they don't use.

So...I think it could be of interest for a lot of people to hear about maple as a tonewood,and in this regard, Mr. Wren's opinion shall be a valuable one.
IMHO

JF

Last edited by J-F C; 06-12-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I was simply sharing my experience as to what I had heard said in discussions with number of luthiers who had experience working with maple(s). I wasn't discouraging any one from commenting. In fact, like yourself, I welcome hearing from luthiers should they choose to comment. I would point out that since this is someone's build thread and perhaps it is more appropriate not create a discrete thread to discuss this if you want to hear from a variety of luthiers?

Just a thought...

Quote:
I respectfuly disagree, to some of this. It is true that maple doesn't always get good reviews and that the stereotypes are not very favorable. But this originate from where ?

1) My time spent on this forum has led me to think that a lot of stereotypes repeated by players are taken from or largely inspired by luthiers.

2) I don't read many positive posts from luthiers about maple.

3) Some luthiers have more experience then other, some have more or less always worked with the same woods and therefore may have an hearsay knowledge about some other tomewoods they don't use.

So...I think it could be of interest for a lot of people to hear about maple as a tonewood,and in this regard, Mr. Wren's opinion shall be a valuable one.
IMHO

JF

3) I don't read many positive posts about maple,from luthiers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop