The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Reverb for Logic

What reverb is a good choice for Logic for vocals? I am using Logic Express 8 and cant seem to get a good reverb...mostly Im using the songwriter templates...

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM

if you have the space designer, i feel it is the best of all of the logic reverbs!
i use it on vocal but lower the reverb amount to -30 and raise the dry all the way up.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
if you have the space designer, i feel it is the best of all of the logic reverbs!
i use it on vocal but lower the reverb amount to -30 and raise the dry all the way up.
Logic Express unfortunately doesn't have Space Designer. The next problem of course is it's impossible to know what it is you're looking for in a reverb and worse what context the vocal plays in your music.

However in Space Designer's absence it's REALLY hit or miss as to what one is looking for in a vocal verb vs what Logic has to offer stock. In the end (with what you have) it's a matter of manipulating the parameters of the verb (perhaps as well as adding an eq) to get the depth and space you're after. All of Logic's suite of verbs have dramatically different sonic footprints so as almost anything else in mixing it's a long road of trial and error but certainly a journey worth investing in. By way of encouraging some experiment I have had GREAT success in substituting a quick delay, long repeat echo for vocals particularly in the absence of a great verb.

I do know that with a bit of understanding and elbow grease you will be able to find something in Logic that is usable without resorting to going out and "buying" something.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I've read some good things about the "Valhalla Room" reverb au plugin you can get for $50. I've been thinking about getting this as a plugin to use with Garageband but I'm sure it would word for Logic as well. Anyone have any experience with this one?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Try chopping the top and bottom off the frequency range fed into the reverb. Some reverbs have a bandwidth control but I like to use a high pass filter and a low pass filter to get better control (try a low pass at 5k and a high pass at 1k and tweak from there).

This can cut out low-end mud and excessive high-end harshness to give a much smoother sound.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
What reverb is a good choice for Logic for vocals? I am using Logic Express 8 and cant seem to get a good reverb...mostly Im using the songwriter templates...
Apart from Space Designer, Logic's built in reverbs are not very convincing. If your aim is to just to add some wetness to the sound, rather than emulating an actual acoustic space, you can get great results using very short slap-back style delays mixed in at low levels. The stereo delay can be set to different times on each side to add width.. It is a bit more akin to using the early reflection programmes you find on some reverbs - gives the impression of space, but doesn't take up too much in the mix.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Music from my brother: http://robinadams.bandcamp.com
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 AM

I've tried ValhallaRoom and will most likely buy it soon. But one I have been digging on recordings is "ambience" which is free. It's not a long, lush reverb, but I think it works rather nicely in a modern sounding mix. Gone are the days with long reverb tails from halls etc.

None of the verbs in Logic express are worth using unless you're after the "effect" of having a something like they sound, which isn't a natural sound to me.

I've used ArtsAcoustic which I liked lots, and Breverb too, which was not bad either.

Ambience & ValhallaRoom will set you back a total of $50 and you'll get great results and it won't break the ol' bank.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM

i've found the logic reverbs to be pretty good. not all are good for all applications, but that goes with any reverb. you just need to know how to tweak them to fit your need.

the best reverb i have is a 1965 fender reverb unit, but, it is quite noisy!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM

i've got mountains of reverbs, hardware pcm, UAD, etc., and i still reach for logic's silververb. nothing sounds quite like it. super low cpu hit, too...easy tracking verb. and, as suggested previously, filter out the highs and lows to taste. for me, the quality of the reverb, is never the biggest problem with a sound...it's usually goofy predelay/tail/eq verb settings.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Valhalla is good; Lexicon Native is great.

Jim McCarthy
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
I dont use logic so I'll speak to some general things. I am assuming the Routing options are similar to Pro Tools. Seems I remember Logic having Plates as well as room verbs. Start by trying a Plate particularly if It has a vocal plate preset. Its a good place to start then you can tweak the parameters from there. Or try a room verb

BUT First A Quick Mixing vocal reverb 101..... You may already KNOW THIS but if not If not Try this: Don't put the reverb on the vocal track itself.

Instead :
Set up a stereo Aux track and put the Reverb on it.
Then set up a bus on the vocal tracks send section, either stereo or mono. For example. (Bus 1) But leave the vocal tracks output in the default "stereo out" Also adjust the volume of the send itself (separate from the tracks output volume) make it unity or ( 0 db) and set it for pre fader. (That way, once you find the reverb settings you like you can change the volume of the vocal track in the overall mix and you wont effect or have to change anything on the reverb)

Then make the input of the Aux track Bus 1. and the output the default "stereo out"
The advantage here is you are getting a dry vocal to the main stereo out and now you blend or add and dial in just the amount of reverb sound you wish.
Set the reverb to 100% mix or leave it at the preset if it's not 100% and then start backing off on the main output volume of the aux track.

As you reduce the volume of the aux track, you will notice the verb going from way to much, at unity gain (0 db) to some where between - 16 db to - 24 db you will not hear the reverb at all. Then just raise the volume back up a db at a time until you get an amount you like.

If you are already doing this then it as as some have said ,a matter tweaking the verb settings.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD