The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM

I'm glad I got my OX when I did but this is very unfortunate news.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
The reality is that no ones production guitars have gone up in value in the past 10-20 years, at best they have held their value, or only slightly decreased. When you factor in inflation they have almost all been losing investments.
HUH?? I bought a new ES335 years ago for $700, an Ovation Legend back when Glen was setting them on fire ... just sold them both. The Ovation brought more than twice what I paid new, the Gibson more than 5 times new. With those kinds of losses, I sure wish I'd bought a truckload of those losers!
Since the Ovation didn't go up nearly as much as the Gibson, do you suppose it might have been partly due to the composite back?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Tacoma:

Composite Acoustics:

Coincidence?
add mcpherson to that - aren't they bacnkrupt or going through difficulties? Seems thier overpricing is the problem - opposite of CA.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM

I live 10 minutes from them in lafayette sad news not only for the guitar but the people who lost there jobs , we so badly need jobs here. they seemed to be doing well ,nice facillity hope someone takes over, any takers?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
Hate to tell you this, but internet forums are an anomaly. The demand for these guitars is not as high as forums and message boards would seem to show.
Exactly. There is a built-in bias to guitar fora.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Glad I pulled the trigger on my CA legacy tobacco burst last month. I could care less about the warranty, it is such a great guitar and now not really replaceable. It would be interesting to see what the total production for these various models were. It is probably not that much compared to many other guitars; they never really developed a great distribution network. This is so sad, say thanks to the "Great Recession" I am sure there will be more to go down.
Steve
They are great guitars man... Glad you got one... Who needs a warranty??
You can drag these things behind a car for miles and they'd still be in tune!!!LOL

Shame to see another American Company suffer during these hard economic times.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab rat View Post
I live 10 minutes from them in lafayette sad news not only for the guitar but the people who lost there jobs , we so badly need jobs here. they seemed to be doing well ,nice facillity hope someone takes over, any takers?
It is horrible to hear of the lost jobs, but Lafayette (my hometown) has one of the strongest economies in the US - around 5% unemployment right now vs national around 9.8 - 10%.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
The question I answered was how deep are Kaman's pockets.

The answer is that Kaman has no pockets because the pockets belong to Fender.

Jim
Yeah, sorry. Sometimes I let the Fender Hate get away from me. Notwithstanding that, Fender would happily kill off the Ovation line if it failed to consistently make a profit.

The real advantage to Fender's deep pockets is that it acts as a buffer. It's not enough for a small business to be profitable, managing your cash flow properly is just as important as making a profit.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Looks like MacNic is blowing out his returned guitars. Funny to see the guy who used to have the highest prices sell them so cheap. Also did anyone else notice that everyone except LA Guitar Sales pulled their CA's from eBay. Mac Nic had a used OX I was about to grab than it was gone. Auction was ended by seller.

To all the CA employees, thank you for all those awesome guitar you built, I wish you all the best.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Something that hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread (unless I somehow missed it) is that carbon fiber is quite an expensive material to work with. Because it's a synthetic, there's an automatic assumption by many of us that it must be inexpensive, but the truth is just the opposite: their raw materials costs were steep.

There are a lot of competing industries that have nothing whatsoever to do with musical instruments that use carbon fiber for a wide array of applications. So any company using it has to pay the going rate.

As for the future, the efficacy and practicality of carbon fiber acoustic guitars has been proven now, and sooner or later other firms will enter that realm.

In the meantime, cherish the carbon fiber guitars that you have.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Whenever a company goes bankrupt, I guess the customers paid less than what the product cost.

I think it is sad that the CA AGF guitar died.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM

just... "crap"

sadness
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Heres the other pictures I was sending to CA to thank them for a great go anywhere guitar.

Nothing likem' get'm while you can.

I think I may have to swing by Acoustic Music Works. He said he has a few and he's willing to deal on them. Last time I was in (buying my pre owned Cargo) he had some great OX's, a 12 string CA that was wonderful.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 AM

I signed in this morning to see if there was any update on the delivery dates of the AGF guitars, and I find out that there is an update... they aren't going to be delivered.

This is sad news!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 AM

Bummer. I played my first CA over the weekend and was really impressed. It was the first time I had really considered a non-traditional guitar. They played and sounded way better than I had anticipated and they were priced quite nicely.

Hopefully someone will pick up their stuff but today I don't think a lot of companies out there have the cash to do something like that even for pennies on the dollar.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber