The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

It's sad that a good product has suffered the fate of the economic times we are in . I think we will see more such scenarios across the board of consumer products . My brother has been a manufactures rep. for 35 years in the sporting goods and apparel industry. He has been saying for several years that we are over retailed and will see some more failures before it rings itself out .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Maybe the Government could intervene and take over and offer rebates

Please save us!!!

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." -----Yogi Berra
Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with economy! May be bad management looks more of a problem to me.
Still, it is disheartening to see the company die .
Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Someone posted a message on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine discussion forum that says they had one of the owner/managers resign and two pieces of machinery break and need replacement. The investors decided not to put more money into the company.

Jim
Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 AM

I am too much a traditionalist to consider a carbon fiber guitar. Sad to see any company go, but there are lots that share my perspective. They certainly do have their place in the world that weather conditions and uses are way too challenging for a wood guitar, but outside of that, I am sticking with wood.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

I trully hated to hear of their demise, for whatever the reason(s) might be.

My CA OX raw has been a joy to play and I've really appreciated its ability to withstand changes in temperature and humidity (I just finshed a 2700 miles trip from Michigan - Missouri - Tennesee - New Orleans, LA - Kentucky - back to Michigan with the OX riding in the tonneau-covered bed of my pick-up truck. I had no concerns about it being there. I certainly wouldn't have done it with my D-35!)

CA's product was excellent and I was looking forward to adding another CA to the small "stable."

Ray
Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Someone posted a message on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine discussion forum that says they had one of the owner/managers resign and two pieces of machinery break and need replacement. The investors decided not to put more money into the company.

Jim

Makes sense, I'm guessing profits were just not enough to keep the money guys interested. Ted was comparing CA's demise with how CBS lost interest in Fender back in 1984. Too bad the employees of CA can't take it over like the Fender crew did.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 PM

cpa with your list of Olsons, I can see why a CA didn't have to be in your stable. But then again picture yourself on the beach with your Olson.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 AM

So maybe this is not the place to post this, but I know of a Canadian Guitar store manager who was told by someone who should know, that the California division of a popular Canadian made brand had totally shut down about 6 weeks ago. I emailed the factory asking for any details or confirmations, and got no reply. Te Vancouver devision is still up and running, but if I remember correctly, they were only building 2 or 3 models of their guitar there. If this turns out to be not true, then I will be sorry that I posted it. I actually heard of this almost a month ago, and wanted someone else to bring it up, just in case it's all lies. Remember, if it IS all lies, I made a mistake in posting this. Maybe this company should review their Email policy...

Last edited by Kerry Krishna; 03-08-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Krishna View Post
So maybe this is not the place to post this, but I know of a Canadian Guitar store manager who was told by someone who should know, that the California division of a popular Canadian made brand had totally shut down about 6 weeks ago. I emailed the factory asking for any details or confirmations, and got no reply. Te Vancouver devision is still up and running, but if I remember correctly, they were only building 2 or 3 models of their guitar there. If this turns out to be not true, then I will be sorry that I posted it. I actually heard of this almost a month ago, and wanted someone else to bring it up, just in case it's all lies. Remember, if it IS all lies, I made a mistake in posting this. Maybe this company should review their Email policy...
This should probably go to a different thread however my sources stated that the company you're referring to had recently shut down their California factory in order to move it further north (still in the U.S.) but at the last minute decided to remain in CA. I would assume they'll be up and running once again very soon.

As for CA Guitars, it is indeed a shame that the plug got pulled but after all, it was a business and as such, needed to meet the expectations of their investors. Hope somebody decides to resurrect it.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I am too much a traditionalist to consider a carbon fiber guitar. Sad to see any company go, but there are lots that share my perspective. They certainly do have their place in the world that weather conditions and uses are way too challenging for a wood guitar, but outside of that, I am sticking with wood.
One day, carbon fiber guitars will be as popular and widely used as keyboards/electric pianos are among keyboardists/pianists.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Unhappy Sad day for Composite Acoustics

It's truley a shame that Composite Acoustics (an American company) was forced to close down. I have read a lot of comments on this forum and my believe is that the primary reasons centered around the poor economy and effects of hurricane Katrina which caused some damage to CA's manufacturing facilities. The investors were not seeing the rate of return as they had hoped and just pulled the plug. CA's demise is a result of this lousey economy - period.

I don't see just anyone buying the equipment and building these instruments again. It takes a significant technical understanding of working with carbon composite materials to be successful. In fact CA's founder (Larry Ellis) was a former contract engineer for NASA who helped design the nose cone of the space shuttle using carbon composite technology. This material is incredibly light weight and strong. The top could be made very thin to allow for a wonderful response which is why it was perfect for an acoustic instrument if you had the knowledge to build it and Larry certainly did. Someone on this forum earlier asked the question as to how the necks are attached.....well, they are not attached rather, they are formed/moulded together with the body to make a single component.

The CA's were not just copied from other guitars, they were engineered from ground up to provide a quality instrument using high tech materials. Those CA's will always sound good, will last forever, and you can take 'em anywhere.

I listened to Tim Stafford of Blue Highway play his CA at a bluegrass festival in Arlington, TX this weekend and it sounded great. It's the only guitar he travels with today, and Tim Stafford dosen't play just anything. BTW, Tim has used the CA for several recordings of Blue Highway's CD's.

If you own one, consider yourself lucky....you have an original!

Bryce
Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Composite Acoustics

I have been a premium dealer for CA and did not hear about the shutdown until last friday--from a customer. Thats not exactly what I would expect--even a from a financially troubled company. CA made outstanding guitars--they were well constructed and sounded fabulous. I still have about 10 in inventory--I believe they are still a great value--they are near indestructible so I have little concern about any warranty issues--they may, in fact become collectors items. Just thought I would post my thoughts--Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AGF Corporate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGibsonF5 View Post
It's truley a shame that Composite Acoustics (an American company) was forced to close down. I have read a lot of comments on this forum and my believe is that the primary reasons centered around the poor economy and effects of hurricane Katrina which caused some damage to CA's manufacturing facilities. The investors were not seeing the rate of return as they had hoped and just pulled the plug. CA's demise is a result of this lousey economy - period.

I don't see just anyone buying the equipment and building these instruments again. It takes a significant technical understanding of working with carbon composite materials to be successful. In fact CA's founder (Larry Ellis) was a former contract engineer for NASA who helped design the nose cone of the space shuttle using carbon composite technology. This material is incredibly light weight and strong. The top could be made very thin to allow for a wonderful response which is why it was perfect for an acoustic instrument if you had the knowledge to build it and Larry certainly did. Someone on this forum earlier asked the question as to how the necks are attached.....well, they are not attached rather, they are formed/moulded together with the body to make a single component.

The CA's were not just copied from other guitars, they were engineered from ground up to provide a quality instrument using high tech materials. Those CA's will always sound good, will last forever, and you can take 'em anywhere.

I listened to Tim Stafford of Blue Highway play his CA at a bluegrass festival in Arlington, TX this weekend and it sounded great. It's the only guitar he travels with today, and Tim Stafford dosen't play just anything. BTW, Tim has used the CA for several recordings of Blue Highway's CD's.

If you own one, consider yourself lucky....you have an original!

Bryce
The founder of CA guitars was named Ellis Seal, one of the owners was named Larry.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM

We all should really stop whining now and buy the ones that are out there for a great price.

Looking forward to my next vacation with my Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber