The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
Update: In the last week, I bought a MacBook Pro and a Universal Audio Arrow interface, downloaded Reaper, and borrowed an inexpensive mic (at2020) from a friend. To start, I have been learning the basic DAW operations. I figure I should get somewhat proficient with the recording equipment before I try and record a whole lot. I’ve tracked one song so far. When I figure out how to do some basic mixing and get it into a shareable format I’ll post a link. I’m looking forward to feedback and advice. In the meantime, I haven’t pulled the trigger on a mic/s yet, but that’ll be my next purchase. I’m continuing to research and read reviews. Hopefully I’ll be a bit more proficient with the equipment by the time I get a decent mic of my own. I’m finding the DAW learning curve to be a bit steep, especially at first, but it seems to get more familiar by the day.
I think that's a good plan,
Yes learning the DAW is a steep learning curve (at first)

The UAD Arrow is a real nice unit. However I would suggest at first forgo trying to record using plug ins I know UAD can be used with the Console feature and you can track with plugins, with minimal latency. BUT OMO that adds an unnecessary layer of complication, to the learning and personally I think it wiser for learning to track dry (to start with) and learn utilize Plugin's in the mixing process. Looking forward to hearing your results

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 PM

https://soundcloud.com/user-65275946...?ref=clipboard

Here’s the maiden voyage with my new stuff. It’s easy enough to get sound into the computer and then turn it into a wav file. I’m still clueless when it comes to getting proper recording levels, mic placement, eq, mix, editing etc etc. I tried to use a couple of software features like eq, reverb, compression, but I don’t understand any of it in any meaningful way yet, so I’m just pushing buttons and turning knobs. I haven’t actually listened to it through monitors yet (don’t have any), just headphones. I’ll keep working on it - so much to learn. The song is a Travis picked ditty that I sing to my daughter. I played it on my Collings 02 and doubled it up. Each guitar is mostly a single take save a messy punch in here or there. It has words but I’m not brave enough to record my voice yet. I’m happy to hear constructive critiques, recommendations etc to help improve the quality of my recordings. It’s definitely the very beginning of a work in progress!

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 09-25-2020, 09:47 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

I'm making the switch to computer recording too, and it's a heck of a learning curve...but I figure we'll make it!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 09-26-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

That sounds really nice!

(You get more interesting SC comments than I ever do! )
Old 09-28-2020, 08:14 AM

Thanks, guys. It’s encouraging that I was able to at least get sounds into the computer and turn them into a shareable file. My intention is to now get to work really trying to learn and understand the process, experiment with mics, etc. 99% of the DAW features/operations are still a mystery to me. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:18 AM

I've been in and out of recording studios for decades, so I have a relatively decent idea of how to mic stuff, etc. My challenge is making the transition to digital! I know it should be easier, but man...it sure seems a lot more complicated doing it on a computer!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 09-28-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
I've been in and out of recording studios for decades, so I have a relatively decent idea of how to mic stuff, etc. My challenge is making the transition to digital! I know it should be easier, but man...it sure seems a lot more complicated doing it on a computer!

It’s good that you’ve got some foundational knowledge. I imagine that’ll flatten the learning curve for you. I think it’s going to be important for me to identify and separate the crucial functions from the countless others. A problem I’m running into is that there’s so much terminology and so many concepts that are completely foreign to me, which means that the operation manual and tutorials are over my head. I have to learn what the heck any of it means before I can understand how any of it works. If only I had nothing else to do!

Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
https://soundcloud.com/user-65275946...?ref=clipboard

Here’s the maiden voyage with my new stuff. It’s easy enough to get sound into the computer and then turn it into a wav file. I’m still clueless when it comes to getting proper recording levels, mic placement, eq, mix, editing etc etc. I tried to use a couple of software features like eq, reverb, compression, but I don’t understand any of it in any meaningful way yet, so I’m just pushing buttons and turning knobs. I haven’t actually listened to it through monitors yet (don’t have any), just headphones. I’ll keep working on it - so much to learn. The song is a Travis picked ditty that I sing to my daughter. I played it on my Collings 02 and doubled it up. Each guitar is mostly a single take save a messy punch in here or there. It has words but I’m not brave enough to record my voice yet. I’m happy to hear constructive critiques, recommendations etc to help improve the quality of my recordings. It’s definitely the very beginning of a work in progress!
Gain staging and mic placement...start there, they do most of the heavy lifting. Polar pattern is crucial too but cardioid works great for now.

0 size guitars are fun to record, don’t be afraid to stick the mic close (12” or so) to the sound hole, that placement sounds good on my Martin 0

Don’t overlook acoustic treatment.

Be Safe
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Casio CT-S1

Last edited by Mike J. Vitale; 09-29-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Not sure
Old 10-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Mike. I’ve been working on the gain staging and experimenting with mic placement. I also got a couple small diaphragm cardioid condenser mics and I’m getting some nice, full sounds, I think. I’m still finding it hard to avoid extra noise (like my movements and breathing), but I’m encouraged with how it’s progressing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD