The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Default Rainsong vs Blackbird vs Emerald

Looking for some general feedback on how these different carbon fiber guitars sound and feel to play...I’m a lefty and there aren’t a lot of places to demo left handed carbon fiber guitars side by side these days.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

You're not likely to find the comparison you want. Part of the problem is that each of the makers mentioned have put out several models. I can address the question only relative to nylon string guitars put out by the three makers.

I've owned Rainsong, Blackbird, and Emerald nylon strung instruments. In my estimation, similar models are very close in quality of sound.

However, different models result in a different impressions. For example, the Blackbird Super OM matches well with Rainsong and Emerald models. But the Blackbird Rider nylon is a different animal and comes the closest (in my estimation) to a genuine old-time quality classical guitar. If sound was your only objective--the Rider would be the way to go. On the other hand, if ergonomics were important to you, or nut-width, or scale, then you might make a different decision.

I'm not being pessimistic here. The bottom line is that each make you mention puts out a stellar product. Best take you time and try out what you can get your hands on.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Could you be more specific about what you are looking for out of one of these? What size guitar? What kind of music do you play? Are you solo or part of a group? If you are more specific in your description and question(s), you'll get more meaningful answers.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 PM

I'll take a stab by answering what I know about the instruments I have. I have never owned a Rainsong, but I have played a few. I have played around on nearly the entire line up of Emerald and have an X20 and a Kestrel. I have strummed the Clara, El Capitan and a couple of others and have the Lucky 13.

I got the X20 after a conversation with Alistair 6 or 7 years ago. It was awesome, but I wasn't sure it was The One. My wife was put off by the non-standard look, so year later I got a Lucky 13. My (her‽) plan was that I'd A/B them and then settle on just one. I also went out and played a few name brand wood guitars along with Composite Acoustics and Rainsongs to make a more informed choice. I found I kept coming back to the X20, so I decided to let go of the Lucky 13.

The problem is they are two very different guitars. The X20 is basically a dread sound out of a wonderfully comfortable ergonomic shape. The Lucky 13 has a more punchy sound and feel of something Robert Johnson played. Those three sound ports give it a wonderful sound that the X20 just can't touch, but then the X20 is the guitar I grab when I can only take one in a bag.

Now I have a third carbon fiber guitar that I was able to barter a remodeled bathroom for. It's the jazz box I dreamed of having for a long time. It's got punch it's got velvet melodies and chords. It's amazing and would be my travel guitar if it wasn't so fragile.

I'm working on another barter job though it seems she's on to me, so I will either have to make over a whole house or worse to get another guitar. If I were to get that next guitar today, then it would likely be an X30 12 string. That's not guaranteed because I'd try to (re)play every guitar I am at least a little passionate about from another jazz box like an L5 to something like a D28.

The bottom line is that the Lucky is a completely different animal from the X20 and both are completely different from the Kestrel, so figure out what you want and take the dive. What are you waiting for?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Keep in mind that Emerald's only lefty is the X20 which is also their most popular model...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-29-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

All three are quality guitar makers, but most certainly different in execution. Different models from each. So, it comes down to any recommendation between those three as being a personal opinion.

BlackBird does not have a current carbon fiber model, having gone to ekoa as their build material of choice. RainSongs are a more traditional choice, making CF guitars that (to me) are closest to the shape and feel of wood guitars from Taylor or Martin. Emeralds are by far the most ergonomically comfortable guitars to play. All three make great sounding instruments... they sound like... guitars.

Emerald only sells direct. RainSong is in more guitar shops than BlackBird, but finding either in a shop is rare. A left-hand model? Like finding a unicorn.

But, the good news is: any of those three will be a fine instrument. My choice for sound/tone and comfort has been Emerald. I own three of their guitars and they have changed how I consider any guitar moving forward.

Tell us more about what you look for in a guitar and your playing style, and we may be able to give you more free advice.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:59 AM

This is like answering Martin vs Gibson vs Taylor. The question is a bit too broad for an easy answer. I own examples of each brand and like them all. Rainsong WS-1000 was my first CF and is very versatile, and a Blackbird Lucky 13 has its niche. All have good sound but are different from wood guitars. But the Emerald has become my favorite - in part due to the ergonomics. An X20 is my most commonly played CF guitar, and the only model they make as a lefty.

Last edited by Earl49; 09-30-2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: readability
Old 09-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I have a BlackBird El Capitan, and a nylon x7 and have tried a steel x7 and owned a parlor Rainsong as well as trying multiple Rainsongs in the stores.

The El Capitan sounds amazing unplugged. Not quite sure how to describe it but very rich and full sounding.

The ergonomics however are noticeably down on the Emeralds. However no worse that the Rainsongs.

The Rainsongs were a mix to me. Mostly great tone but the n2 neck doesn't work for me. The lack of bevels on the larger ones also detracts for sure vs the emerald or even the Blackbird to a degree which has some contouring on the back.

The Blackbird can pass as a traditional wood instrument from 10 feet away if that's important to you.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM

Does RainSong make left-handed guitars?

I don't remember ever seeing one, and they'd need twice as many molds. You might want to email Dave (customer service, great guy) at RainSong and ask.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:12 PM

If you want a lefty carbon fiber guitar fast, there are two lefty X20s on the Emerald website ready to ship. You could have it in your hands next week. If you hate it immediately you can ship it back and only be out shipping cost. If you like it somewhat it could tide you over until you find The One. I would guess they play the same as a righty X20 (which is amazing), but I don't know. You can also have a build to order at Emerald, but that takes a bit longer.

A few years ago, I was considering/helping find a used lefty Lucky 13 at GC for a friend, but they went a different direction and someone else grabbed the guitar. I know they are out there, but as mentioned above Blackbird's not doing carbon fiber anymore. The righty versions of the Lucky 13 are amazing too which is why I still have mine with me.

That's about the extent of my lefty knowledge. Good luck on your quest.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber