The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2020, 07:27 AM

With the serial number not visible all you have to go by are the features. Again, if the bridge is original to the the guitar it could well be an early-1962. But as I also said, early-1960s Gibsons sported single line Kluson tuners. So that leaves a '62 which has had the tuners swapped out (as the footprint of the two was the same there will be no visible signs of the change) or if the tuners are original a '65 or later guitar which has had the bridge rolled. Any modifications could well have happened before her husband bought the guitar and he may not have known enough about Gibsons to spot them. The thing though is the asking price is still a good deal for either scenario.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I'd be more interested in the L-5. I wish I lived within an hour of her so she could bring it to me so I could take a look...
Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Agreed. and btw - the image of a worn fretboard above doesn't seem to be from the pictures of this lady's guitar ad.
I hope that she gets a fair price for it.
The photos to the left of the ad title include a couple of shots that aren't in the gallery to the right.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM

I really like the ad. Sounds like someone you could trust to buy from if that old Gibson might be the guitar for you.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:10 PM

First, Mr. Jelly wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I find it disingenuous. This person used the word cleat but yet has no opinion of the sound. So they know wood working or guitars well enough to know what a cleat is. I'm not buying it.
Long before I started playing music, long before I graduated from high school, I knew perfectly well what a cleat was. It's not as though it's a deeply held secret known only to the upper ranks of the Illuminati.

For what it's worth, I've known many woodworkers who know what a cleat is but don't and wouldn't venture any opinions about the nuances of an acoustic guitar's tone, mainly because that's not their field of expertise.

Charles here expresses my own sentiments on the ad and the person who wrote it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
I really like the ad. Sounds like someone you could trust to buy from if that old Gibson might be the guitar for you.
That's my attitude, too. If I was in the market for a guitar like that one and lived within a reasonable driving distance, I would make an appointment with her to go see, play and hear the guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion