The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
'Tis, indeed, Sean. Thanks again for you help and patience. Any idea if the An tracking continues once the package is in the USPS system? Does it go Priority Mail in the US?

Not like I'm anxious or anything.

Best wishes,
Jim
Keep an eye out on the tracking on 'An Post' and from what I remember it should give you further updates from its progress within the US, possibly even a USPS number. When you click into the number on the left. All going well it should be with you in a few days, Jim! ;-)

Thanks

Sean
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Keep an eye out on the tracking on 'An Post' and from what I remember it should give you further updates from its progress within the US, possibly even a USPS number. When you click into the number on the left. All going well it should be with you in a few days, Jim! ;-)

Thanks

Sean
Thanks, Sean. The package tracked to "Item Received in United States," and now says "No answer at address." There is no way in creation that the package could have gone from arriving in the US to getting to our island in the Tropical Tip of Texas in less than 24 hours. Thus, I am working on the assumption that the tracking number was good while in An Post's hands... and who knows what Customs agent or Postal worker is trying out my new guitar!!

We do not get mail delivery to our house, so when it does arrive, I will get a notice in my PMB (private mail box), then make the trek to the local Post Office.

Just because I check the tracking 8 times per hour, doesn't mean I am anxious. Of course, I am kidding... more like 10 times per hour.

This is me doing my impersonation of being patient.

Thanks again for making the buying process smooth and easy.

Jim
Old 05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Guest 928

So Jim, are we there yet?

I am familiar with your anxiety. Years ago I sold a Cargo to a forum member on the other side of the U.S. It didn't get there, and then it didn't get there some more. Finally I started going through the insurance process (which in itself is pretty lengthy). And then the guitar was found at a post office in Alabama--that was good news. The bad news was that instead of sending it along to its destination (Florida) the post office mailed it back to me (Nevada). The second mailing went much better (though I had to quibble with the post office in order to not pay for the second mailing).

Hopefully, in the time its taken you to read this message, your guitar will have arrived.

Do people drink on your island?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!

The guitar was shipped on Thursday afternoon. I was surprised to see it (on the tracking) as being in the US (New York City) late Saturday. Pretty impressive.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the An Post (Ireland) showed the package as "Delivery Attempted." I assumed that meant it was getting switched from Am Post to USPS. Sean told me to expect delivery "probably Thursday."

I just checked. Yep, it's Monday. Three days before Thursday, according to my calendar. My wife has been working on a quilt project, and wasn't ready to go out to lunch until around 2:00 today. Leaving our little island, we drove by the owners' area (where the private mailboxes are located) - the mailman's van was there. It usually takes him an hour or so to put mail in the boxes each day.

Lunch was great. My lovely wife said, "I bet that 'Delivery Attempted' means there's a slip in our mailbox for your guitar."

My reply, "Yeah, and monkeys might fly outta my butt." I am quite eloquent like that.

We stopped at the Post Office before going back to our island - my wife had a package to mail out. On the way home, we stopped to check mail... my wife came out with a big smile on her face, waving a pink slip (a package to be picked up). "It doesn't say who the shipper is, and I do have some innertubes coming for the bikes - but, I bet it is your guitar. Those monkeys are going to be very uncomfortable on the way out!" We both laughed.

Back into town and to the Post Office. When my wife came out, it was very apparent from the size of the box that it wasn't the innertubes! Unbelievable. Ireland to the southern tip of Texas in just over 4 days!!

She said, "It smells like cookies!" as she put the box in the back seat of the truck. It does, indeed, smell like cookies. It is just over 2 miles from our house to the Post Office - seemed a lot further.

There is a greasy spot on the box...

Yep, that cookie smell is coming from that spot. It didn't take long to get the box opened. It was well-packed. The gig bag looked small...

I opened the gig bag and pulled out the new X7 - a beautiful guitar!

I strummed the first chord - it was in tune! I looked it over - the carbon fiber weave is lovely. I like the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides. The neck feels very nice: it is not as thick as the neck on my Shorty, but "feels" wider. It isn't. The neck feels like it gets slightly wider as you move up the neck. The action is good, but I will probably lower it a bit. Getting above the octave fret is easy.

It sounds delightful - everything I was hoping for. The ergonomics are very friendly - love the curves and the bevel arm rest. No, it doesn't sound like a dreadnought - but it sounds more full than a guitar this size has a right to.

The gig bag is not "guitar shaped," but seems well made, quality materials, and good protection.

I plugged it in to give the pick-up a quick go - it sounds even better! I am not familiar with this particular pick-up, but it is very easy to dial in the sound... although the dials on it are small.

Size wise, it is a little smaller than my GSmini, but the neck feels more "full size" (1 3/4" nut on the Emerald vs 1 11/16" nut on the Mini)

First impression: I like it a lot.

Over the next few days, I will get to know it better, and get some better photos (although the images on Emerald's website are outstanding).

Sean from Emerald, my thanks to you once again. I don't know if you arranged with Donald Trump to have one of his private jets get the guitar from NYC to the Tropical Tip, but I am astounded the guitar got here as fast as it did! Everything you said about the guitar is right on. I am impressed.

Oh, and the guitar doesn't smell like cookies. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Jim
Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Captain. My results were very much the same with the shipping of my Flow Bass last October. 4 days to Minneapolis and I was just as surprised as you are. The Emerald products are stellar workmanship! -- Darwin
Old 05-09-2016, 05:09 PM

Looking good, Jim! Use it in good health.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

very nice!

i can see one in green in my future!

d
Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Guest 928

Congratulations! You must be living right.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Capt

playing seated, is it slippery in the lap?

d
Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Capt

playing seated, is it slippery in the lap?

d
No. I have put a couple hours on it now; all seated, no strap (I always use a strap, even when seated). I have tried it on my right leg, even works good with the waist on my left leg, the lower bout between my legs. In that position, if you lean over a bit, it puts that sound hole up close.

On the thread you started, I responded about the Opus Series and the "Crystal Ice" finish on the back and sides - looks and feels good. Probably adds to the non-slippery feel.

The ergonomics work for me.

Jim
Old 05-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Congratulations! You must be living right.
Yeah, I'm guessing that's it.

You know how you get lucky every once in a while, and all the stoplights are in your favor? I'm guessing that's what happened with the planes getting the box here. It usually takes longer than this to get something within the state.

I barely had the chance to work up the delivery angst.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM

Unbelievable.

It took less time for your X7 to get from Ireland all the way to the tip of Texas than it did for mine to get from Utah to Phoenix.

I'm also very impressed with the gig bag. Professional all the way through. Look in the pocket of the gig bag, there might be a memory card with factory pictures.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
No. I have put a couple hours on it now; all seated, no strap (I always use a strap, even when seated). I have tried it on my right leg, even works good with the waist on my left leg, the lower bout between my legs. In that position, if you lean over a bit, it puts that sound hole up close.

On the thread you started, I responded about the Opus Series and the "Crystal Ice" finish on the back and sides - looks and feels good. Probably adds to the non-slippery feel.

The ergonomics work for me.

Jim
J
thanks, i noticed that menton of the "crystal ice" and i will check into that.

d
Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Unbelievable.

It took less time for your X7 to get from Ireland all the way to the tip of Texas than it did for mine to get from Utah to Phoenix.

I'm also very impressed with the gig bag. Professional all the way through. Look in the pocket of the gig bag, there might be a memory card with factory pictures.
Yes, the memory card with photos is a neat bonus. And, very smart marketing! Who isn't going to share professionally done photos of their new "baby" on social media? .
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Can you comment on the tone? Thinking about a 7 or a 20....thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber