The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM

Default Used Macbook or New PC for music production?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Macbook Pro (i7, 8Gb rom, 500Gb hd, 13" non retina display) for $800. Should I go for it, or should I spend the money to buy a brand new PC?

Note: I intend to use the computer primarily for music production. I have used PC all my life, never owned a Mac, but heard great things about using Mac for music production. So Im definitely open to switching to Mac.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 AM

Default Used Macbook or New PC for music production?

I'd go for the Mac. The non-retina version has CD/DVD writer which has to be bought as extra on the Retina models. It also has gigabit connector (RJ45) which is the only physical connection needed for Dante audio (playing witg that myself at the moment).

Mac gives you the possibility to use Logic, more or less industry standard apart from protools. Since being bought by Apple some years ago Logic hasn't been available for PC.

Even at a fairly basic level macBook comes with Garage Band which gives a decent multi-track recorder, and iMovie and other applications do a good job of creating different multi-media productions.

One of the exciting developments in recent years is Qlab, a program that can run audio, video and lighting cues according to a timeline and/or manual start/stop cues. maybe not what you need, but very useful in my job as theatre tech!

I'd go for the Mac.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 AM

^^^^ What he said, go for the Mac..^^^^
Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Get thee on a mac and ye won't look back.
max
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
Is it safe to buy a used mac? Will it last at least as long as a new PC?

Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst

Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Is it safe to buy a used mac? Will it last at least as long as a new PC?
From the eyes of an IT director babysitting or watching tech crap at large scale....

It's (Mac) made of same things you'll find an an equivalent top tier PC type. We don't see the nonsense some will post about favored products. Just that top tier products like the Mac or business class from Dell or HP generally do better in terms of quality.

The support you can get called AppleCare is much like the enterprise support you get from Dell or HP but geared toward consumers. I see heavily used laptops often make a warranty claim for keyboard or display in their life so I happen to get it for my own use or systems that can't be out of commission long.

Your purchase needs to have an external drive for the Time Machine backup system.

Personal opinion: As one who uses several platforms I feel you get value or substance for any premium Apple may charge if you use GarageBand and iMovie.

You can P2V your old Windows system and use that virtual machine as a great way to maximize compatibility or transition to a new system.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Default 13" Mac

I use a Macbook Pro for recording and Logic in a Mac Pro desktop for editing/mixing. The 13" screen drives me crazy, it's just too small! The laptop will allow use of a larger external monitor and mouse and if you get the 13" laptop I do recommend a larger monitor and mouse. The Macs work just fine for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Macbook Pro (i7, 8Gb rom, 500Gb hd, 13" non retina display) for $800. Should I go for it, or should I spend the money to buy a brand new PC?

Note: I intend to use the computer primarily for music production. I have used PC all my life, never owned a Mac, but heard great things about using Mac for music production. So Im definitely open to switching to Mac.
I am a total mac guy BUT That said First it may depend as much on what software DAW you are using or anticipate using .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Take a bite of the Apple!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

More important than the i7 processor (compared to an i5 processor for instance), is the hard drive you will be using for recording. It should be 7200 rpm and, if external, it should be connected via firewire or a faster connection.

Of course, much depends on how many tracks are involved with your recording projects, whether you will using any or many virtual instruments and how many and the CPU draw of any plugins you will be using.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM

An Apple computer is not superior to a similarly spec'ed PC by any stretch.

That being said, I really like the Apogee/Apple combo. Your tastes may vary.

FWIW, as someone who has used and managed lots of computers, I would not buy a two year old laptop for any kind of money. I would rather buy a lower spec new Powerbook for a couple hundred more.

Laptops all have a certain lifespan. After a while, everything starts to degrade.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am a total mac guy BUT That said First it may depend as much on what software DAW you are using or anticipate using .
If mac, then Logic.
If PC, then Mixcraft and Ableton.

I'm not married to any particular DAW.

Btw, I plan to record guitars and vocals. I also anticipate using VSTs and loops.

Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst

Old 06-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

opps double post to bad there is not a delete function

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
An Apple computer is not superior to a similarly spec'ed PC by any stretch.

That being said, I really like the Apogee/Apple combo. Your tastes may vary.

FWIW, as someone who has used and managed lots of computers, I would not buy a two year old laptop for any kind of money. I would rather buy a lower spec new Powerbook for a couple hundred more.

Laptops all have a certain lifespan. After a while, everything starts to degrade.
True spec wise there is really no performance difference. Though it does seem , as if people tend use mac computers for longer periods of time before upgrading. For instance I am writing this on a 5 year old macbook
For me though it is much more subjective ,about personal preference and simply liking the entire workflow of the Mac OS as opposed to Windows.

I completely agree the Apogee Duet for price/performance is a pretty nifty piece.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Maybe Mac's tightly controlled system (more efficient & less virus attacks) contribute to its longevity?

Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD