The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Default X/Y Config

Hey everyone, I Just bought a rode classic mic (the Original) and will be recording everything with it but I really want to record acoustic guitar with at least a second Mic in hopes of getting a thicker and...well just more sound. So I am looking for any advice on what would be a good choice for a second or even third Mic.

I am recording in a 11 by 17 room with 8 foot cielings and am planning on playing with a horseshoe wall of DIY Rockwool Broadband absorbers behind me.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mic choices and Placement, thx in Advance, Roly.
2010 Taylor 814 CE Grand Auditorium Cutaway

www.rolliebarrettmusic.com
Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Wheres the love, cmon take a stab at it

Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are going with X/Y config as your title suggests, it would probably be best to use two of the same mic in order to get a reasonably smooth panorama across the sound stage.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I agree with the above statement. For X-Y, definitely want to use the same mic. There are a number of other two mic setups that work well with different mics though.

Something like LDC at the 14th fret, SDC at the Bridge, the reverse of that, or SDC on the 14th fret and LDC on the lower bout......the options are endless. If you have two mics around (doesn't matter what they are) just try positioning them around the body and record the same piece with each setup, then review them and see what you think.

Also, if you want more punch and body, a bit of compression and reverb in the mix might help (not sure if you're doing this or what the rest of your setup is like or anything, but from a mixing perspective, that'd be my advice).

Hope this helps,

Alex
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoly View Post
Hey everyone, I Just bought a rode classic mic (the Original) and will be recording everything with it but I really want to record acoustic guitar with at least a second Mic in hopes of getting a thicker and...well just more sound. So I am looking for any advice on what would be a good choice for a second or even third Mic.

I am recording in a 11 by 17 room with 8 foot cielings and am planning on playing with a horseshoe wall of DIY Rockwool Broadband absorbers behind me.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mic choices and Placement, thx in Advance, Roly.
I might suggest that you put the absorbers behind the mic rather than behind you. This will attenuate the sound as it leaves the guitar and passes the mics, then knocks the sound down again when it is reflected back toward the rear and sides of the mic(s) so you get twice the attenuation and you're "defending" the off-axis portion of the mic pattern, which is usually the more questionable area.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM

thx for the replies, I made a mistake in the title of the post, I should have not put x/y but rather what other mic would you recommend I use with the Rode classic and also, where, and at what distance should I place the two mics. I'm guessing certain mics need to be placed at the right distances to avoid unwanted hum/feedback or just any unwanted sounds in general.

As far as setup goes, i have the Rode classic, and I have an apogee and hr824s and an IMAC. I don't think I have anyway to compress the signal before it hits the software?

I am getting Logic Pro software next week, its on order

thx for taking the time to reply!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

There is no magic formula that works for everyone.
If you are trying a spaced pair of mikes one way to start out is to place the first mike mono to get the best sound you can out of it (monitor via headphones). Then position the second mike listening stereo to get the best sound you can out of the pair (monitor via headphones).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 PM

Some fine mics on display in this recent thread.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Stereo Mics

I am using two Rode M3's with a K&M T bar to mount them on a single stand. They work great for X-Y or OTRF. Using a Mackie Blackjack for the USB interface. Great results. Two mics makes all the difference.

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD