The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-01-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
...I like my G5420TG more every time I play it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I picked up my Bugera V22 Infinium on a Musician's Friend 15% off sale...
A Gretsch E-Matic into a Bugera V22 - I know it well - and if you're looking for top-shelf tone on a Working Joe/Jane's budget it doesn't get any better than this. Only thing is that the V22 is built like a tank and, with the upgrade Eminence Swamp Thang speaker I have in mine, only a couple pounds lighter ; the Monoprice weighs about as much as my V5 coffeehouse/practice combo, with more clean headroom and EQ capability - strong selling points given the kind of music/venues I'm playing lately, not to mention the fact that I'm not getting any younger...
Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I owned a Laney Cub 10 for a while - the "tweener" model twixt the 5-15 watt amps. I didn't care for it. I have read that many have had issues w/their reverb tanks - but that could be an old issue.

Depending on how much volume you need/want, I would consider other options. You want GREAT clean and dirty tones at low volume? Blackstar HT1R. $299.

I really like my Orange Micro Terror through a 10" cab, but do miss reverb. Joyo also makes hybrid, 2 channel 20 watt amps that sound very good for about $150. Pair it with a decent cab and you've got a loud, giggable rig. The 2 channels are not footswitchable though, so for me, it's essentially a 1 channel amp for live playing. At home it might just fit the bill for you. (They don't have reverb either though).
The reverb problem was solved a couple of years ago. The new reverb tank sounds great.

The options you mention are good too, but this is much cheaper and can usually be had at $200 or under if you wait for a sale. Being that it's a combo with a decent speaker, and that makes it a no brainer in my mind.

And, the stock tubes sounded very good, but I wanted to experiment so I replaced the preamp tubes with JJ tubes about a year ago. Cost about $40 in total and, from what I can hear, gave the amp a little more compression. Sounds good with either tubes though. With the JJ tubes, it sounds different... maybe a tiny bit better because I like that smooth compressed sound personally.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I owned a Laney Cub 10 for a while - the "tweener" model twixt the 5-15 watt amps. I didn't care for it. I have read that many have had issues w/their reverb tanks - but that could be an old issue.
To be clear for those who don't know, the Laney Cub 10 is a dual 6v6, no reverb, while the Laney 12R/Monoprice 12 is an EL84 with reverb.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a sale. They were out of stock for months, and I haven't seen a sale on either Monoprice tube amp for perhaps a year.
Given current global situations - and the major price hikes on the Bugera line (up to 60% in some cases) over the last two years - I suspect future sales are unlikely on any Chinese-made electronic product, so I'd strongly consider biting the bullet and moving before prices increase again...
Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Given current global situations - and the major price hikes on the Bugera line (up to 60% in some cases) over the last two years - I suspect future sales are unlikely on any Chinese-made electronic product, so I'd strongly consider biting the bullet and moving before prices increase again...
Ha - maybe I spoke too soon! Monoprice has the 30 watt EL84 amp head on sale for $299 right now, so who knows!??
Old 10-01-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to wait them out. Right now they just got the amp back in stock, so they'll be full price for a while, but at least for Black Friday they'll have a sale or a coupon for it.

I'll can wait, we will see how long!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars