The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-18-2021, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Congrats MP…
Old 06-19-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
Thanks y’all. The guitar made it home safely, is opening up well, has a deep mahogany baritone throatiness that was unexpected. It will be at Woodstock this year for anyone who wants to try it out, and I hope to have a YT vid next week.
The fact that this guitar will be at WILS makes me want to go even more. It is seriously one of the nicest looking guitars I've ever seen.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:26 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
The fact that this guitar will be at WILS makes me want to go even more. It is seriously one of the nicest looking guitars I've ever seen.

Thank you! ( standing in for Burton here since he deserves all the credit.)

Even though I am a chronically mediocre player, I will try and record something in an open modal tuning which should be relatively hard to screw up even for me.

This guitar loves dadgad and the like. It is currently in another D open/modal, dgcdcg, which I call Page, bc zep used it occasionally. If anyone actually knows what it is, feel free to enlighten me
Old 08-15-2021, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Incredible instrument, bud
Old 08-15-2021, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Burton well done.

Discuss the neck briefly
What kind of wood?
What kind of finish
How is the heel joined to the neck?
Old 08-15-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Burton well done.

Discuss the neck briefly
What kind of wood?
What kind of finish
How is the heel joined to the neck?
He fell off as a sponsor so I am a poor substitute, but the neck is mahogany, satin finish, like you can actually feel the smooth grain similar to a Rockbridge, and the ice cream heel is joined in the old Martin fashion. Burton spent some time with Robert Corwin studying his original guitars, and has recreated two neck joints for me with my two LeGeyts. One was the "Renaissance" double concave heel, which is awesome. The second, this one, is a traditional ice cream cone heel, and I know less than nothing about how it is constructed.

I bet if you email him he'll spill the beans, he's just been MIA on the forum lately.

I have become a LeGeyt Acolyte, and there are a few things that stand out to me. He has an instinctual ability to successfully meld the traditional Martin aesthetic and tone, with just enough space-age flare to blow one's mind (the CNC neck block and "friction" tuners he made for me on the parlour come to mind.). At the same time, he has taken some modern techniques like the neck block CNC, oil varnish, and tuner recessed engraved headplates to make the guitars his own.

The tone is peerless; and as long as he is willing I am sure to come up with a wicked challenging project every five years or so.

Hope this answers some questions in a secondhand fashion!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
He fell off as a sponsor so I am a poor substitute, but the neck is mahogany, satin finish, like you can actually feel the smooth grain similar to a Rockbridge, and the ice cream heel is joined in the old Martin fashion. Burton spent some time with Robert Corwin studying his original guitars, and has recreated two neck joints for me with my two LeGeyts. One was the "Renaissance" double concave heel, which is awesome. The second, this one, is a traditional ice cream cone heel, and I know less than nothing about how it is constructed.

I bet if you email him he'll spill the beans, he's just been MIA on the forum lately.

I have become a LeGeyt Acolyte, and there are a few things that stand out to me. He has an instinctual ability to successfully meld the traditional Martin aesthetic and tone, with just enough space-age flare to blow one's mind (the CNC neck block and "friction" tuners he made for me on the parlour come to mind.). At the same time, he has taken some modern techniques like the neck block CNC, oil varnish, and tuner recessed engraved headplates to make the guitars his own.

The tone is peerless; and as long as he is willing I am sure to come up with a wicked challenging project every five years or so.

Hope this answers some questions in a secondhand fashion!
Thank you sir. I’ll catch up with Burton at wood stock and discuss things with him there. It’s been a while since we have broken bread together, (I think it was the LaConner show that my brother Steve and I hung out with him) and it will be good to catch up. He is one of a kind as are his instruments.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Hey all,

I am still here! And I do check in pretty regularly. I am not still a sponsor, though, and so am not allowed to really talk about my work in any way. I've haven't been engaging in this thread actively for that reason.

Matthew Hard to believe we still haven't met in person.

And John- I'm looking forward to seeing you and Steve and Ryan this October if it still all works out. I think the last time we all got to hang was Santa Barbara? 5 years ago! Doesn't feel like it was that long, but dang I guess it was.
Hard to believe I’ve met both of you and you guys have never met!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-22-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Hard to believe I’ve met both of you and you guys have never met!
Rtofl true! I hope to rectify this at woodstock if the world isnt burning down
Old 08-17-2021, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post

And John- I'm looking forward to seeing you and Steve and Ryan this October if it still all works out. I think the last time we all got to hang was Santa Barbara? 5 years ago! Doesn't feel like it was that long, but dang I guess it was.
You may be right Burton but it seems to me that the four of us had dinner together at the LaConner guitar festival. Didn’t you go to that one?

Sorry about hijacking.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
You may be right Burton but it seems to me that the four of us had dinner together at the LaConner guitar festival. Didn’t you go to that one?

Sorry about hijacking.
No, that wasn't me! I've always wanted to go to LaConner but it's always during final reviews at school and I can never get away at that time
Old 08-17-2021, 10:32 PM

Just to emphasize how strongly I feel about The Master's work:

Last edited by CoolerKing; 08-19-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:00 PM

Stellar instrument, by a builder who is marching to his own drum. Really terrific to see!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop