The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Bugera AC60 vs FX150 for Vocals/Acoustic Guitar

Anyone compare Bugera AC60 to a FX150 for vocals & acoustic guitar? Trying to find the lowest cost option to get good acoustic sound and vocals for a pretty small gig and these appear to be the cheapest decent options.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 PM

FX150 is intended as a personal monitor. However, it has the great TC Vocal effects that many of us like. If you are willing to invest a little more, you might be better served with a TC Play Acoustic Pedal and a compact powered PA speaker. The vocal and guitar effects are studio quality and clean up the sounds quite a bit. The advantage to this, is that you can tailor "your" sound and plug it into any sound system or amp, if you progress to bigger gigs.

Here is the best price on the TC Pedal
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._acoustic.html

As for speakers, a $100 to $200 budget would buy:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...onal-pa-system

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ance-pa-system

If you can find one, or both of the products used, you'll stretch your budget.

If you need to stick to $250, the Bulgera will be fine, and do an adequate job for small gigs.

Assuming you don't already have a microphone, consider a package like this:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/peavey-eco...e-amp-pak.html

A favorite among the members is this package, which I would recommend. You won't find a better value for the money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LoudBoxMiniPK

BTW, I'm a big John Denver fan too.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:22 PM

I have an FX150. it is good for vocals it has TC's vocal tone and a number of reverbs. In terms of its volume output it's on a par with small acoustic amps such as the fishman loudbox mini (I had a Marshall as50d amp and they were on a par). My guitars straight into the fx150 sound 'just okay'.

I've used mine on a speaker pole for very small gigs in cafes and it does my guitar and vocals fine. Anything more and it just wouldn't cut it. It lives in my music room and most of its use is just for practice in the house.

I would second the opinion you should put the money into a pedal like the play acoustic or boss ve-8, And then get a powered speaker. It would offer you more flexibility.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM

I gigged once with a TC pedal and the harmonies are nice, but I felt uncomfortable with it and gave it up. So that said, I do have a Bugera AC60 primarily as my repair bench amp but I've set it up to AB against my Yamaha DBR10. I like the DBR10 better but the AC60 with some work on the EQ (in my case some mid cut) sounds very good and is quite loud. I think it is hard to beat for the price. And it is very light and compact.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I am not familiar with the Bugera but use a FX150 frequently as a monitor. It has great tone and reverb, but limited if you need to push the volume even just playing guitar and vocals.

I agree with getting the TC Play Acoustic pedal and a small PA. It'll be a much more effective.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 PM

The FX 150 can really shine when you are playing with a loud PA system in front of you and you are already getting get tons of low frequencies from the mains but no upper mids and highs. The FX 150 can give you what you are missing while giving you control of your own vocal level and improving the mic sound you are sending to your soundman. It can be wonderful in this context!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 03:56 AM

I have the FX 150 and a Fishman loudbox mini. Both were my attempt to have something small and simple for small settings. I often play at people's home parties during events like Christmas. I am mostly background, but eventually need to lead some carols. In this situation, I needed some volume but not a pa and needed to get the sound unit high enough so it didn't project to everyone's feet. Space is also a concern. I am usually stuck in a small corner somewhere.

The loudbox did great for my guitar (had to place it on a stool), but I did not like the vocals. The FX 150 did great on the vocals but not so well on the guitar.

I, like most others, purchased the Play Acoustic. I can feed it into either of these and get good vocals and guitar. But eventually purchased a small powered speaker. For simple and cheap, the Kustom 50 pairs well with the Play Acoustic. I mount it on a small speaker pole (you can find some compact units) and use the headphone out of the Play Acoustic to aux in on Kustom unit (small chord and simple connection) and it fit perfectly for this small setting. The small narrow unit doesn't take up much space and fits well in the corner of a room.

This set up cost about $400 - $450 in total, if you already have a mic, cables and mic stand. To save on space, I often Velcro my Play Acoustic to the back of the Kustom unit and also velcroed a small power strip to the speaker pole. This way, I just had one small drop chord to a power outlet, kept my mic and guitar cable to short 10' lengths and mounted a guitar holder on my mic stand. I play and sing close to the unit, but just far enough to avoid feedback.

Just my experiences.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The FX 150 can really shine when you are playing with a loud PA system in front of you and you are already getting get tons of low frequencies from the mains but no upper mids and highs. The FX 150 can give you what you are missing while giving you control of your own vocal level and improving the mic sound you are sending to your soundman. It can be wonderful in this context!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is my observation as well!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:50 PM

You might consider the Mackie Freeplay as a cost effective PA alternative to all of these options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-01-2017, 10:43 PM

There are some serious bargains on eBay right now, refurbished Bugera for ' make offer' (probably get it for $165) and a Loudbox 100 for $300. If I were looking right now, one of those two would be my answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification