The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Considering Blackbird lucky 13

Anyone have any opinions, it'll be used for fingerstyle blues etc.
Also I'm a little concerned about the quick charge pre-amp as I'll use this instrument for gigs. Any one any experience with this pre-amp and how reliable it is.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM

You can try one out for a week for $45 at the MacNicol road show, they just closed it but I am sure if you ask there would be room. Great way to see if you like the guitar.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Anyone have any opinions, it'll be used for fingerstyle blues etc.
Also I'm a little concerned about the quick charge pre-amp as I'll use this instrument for gigs. Any one any experience with this pre-amp and how reliable it is.
I think you're on the right track. As for the MiSi, I've had zero complaints but perhaps there is someone here who has had some first hand gigging experience with it who will chime in. Keep in mind you don't have to order it with the MiSi or any pickup for that matter.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM

I played one a while back. To my ears, it's one of those instruments whose tone screamed "blues." I'm personally not a blues person, so the guitar didn't "speak" to me as it might to others. But it could be a good candidate for what you're seeking.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Blackbird has recently re-voiced the Lucky 13 to make it more of an all around guitar, as opposed to a blues box. I'm pretty sure the Lucky 13 that MacNichol's is sending on a Road Trip is the new version. If you're interested in blues, you might want to look for an older model.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM

I had one in on the original roadtrip from MacNichols, liked it a lot, particularly for bluesy stuff, although it took a a day or so to grow on me. I'd be interested to try the 2013 version with the updated voicing and soundhole. I have no experience with the electronics you mention though.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Here's a quote from Joe Luttwak of Blackbird from a thread at MacNichol.com on the voicing of the Lucky 13:
Quote:
...initially and rather selfishly I voiced this guitar as a blues instrument and happily lots of folks love the sound of the Lucky 13s of yore. Still lots of folks also wanted a more familiar tone which I think we've now achieved with the additional porting and new bracing. I think this is a remarkably natural sounding composite guitar.
So, want a blues guitar? Look for a pre-2013 version. Want a more versatile, all around guitar? Look for the new 2013 version.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Here's a quote from Joe Luttwak of Blackbird from a thread at MacNichol.com on the voicing of the Lucky 13:

So, want a blues guitar? Look for a pre-2013 version. Want a more versatile, all around guitar? Look for the new 2013 version.
Frankly when I got the first L13 I did feel it had a Gibson L00 vibe but certainly not enough to feel the guitar would be "typecast" as a blues guitar. Yes, for a carbon guitar it had a more bluesy vibe than others which is a cool selling point, but that original L13 was still a far cry tonally from a Gibson L00, simply put, it was way more versatile.

BTW, another carbon guitar with a bluesy vibe is the Rainsong Studio OM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for your thoughtful feedback!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber