The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD-Rejoining the CF Family

I just got a Rainsong CH-OM today. A great deal on an open box from MF. I used to have an Advanced Series AWS-1000 that had too thin of a neck and sold it. I loved the fact that I didn't have to humidify, but the neck just wasn't working for me.

I really dig the playablility of the 12 fret short scale neck and the top just rings and rings...can't wait to gig it this friday.
Very excited to put away the humidifier too.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 PM

I have a CH-WS and a CH-PA and I think RainSong really has a flat out great sounding guitar in these 12 fret instruments. With the cut-away, the 12 fret neck works fine for me. I think they backed off the depth of the neck when they redesigned for 12 fret short scale and it really feels right to me. The unidirectional top layer (if you look carefully in the right light, it must have a thin layer of that classic RS 3x3 twill underneath -- likely necessary to get some side to side strength) looks more like a natural material in gloss and the satin tones down the look of 3x3 twill back/sides while feeling exactly right on the neck. Lately I've been finding uncoated phosphor bronze sounds best to me on them.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 AM

Nice buy...I love my CH series guitars
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I have a CH-WS and a CH-PA and I think RainSong really has a flat out great sounding guitar in these 12 fret instruments. With the cut-away, the 12 fret neck works fine for me. I think they backed off the depth of the neck when they redesigned for 12 fret short scale and it really feels right to me. The unidirectional top layer (if you look carefully in the right light, it must have a thin layer of that classic RS 3x3 twill underneath -- likely necessary to get some side to side strength) looks more like a natural material in gloss and the satin tones down the look of 3x3 twill back/sides while feeling exactly right on the neck. Lately I've been finding uncoated phosphor bronze sounds best to me on them.
Speaking of the top layer, mine has what looks like ripples and bubbles under the gloss finish. They are not raised or anything, does your top look like this?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Speaking of the top layer, mine has what looks like ripples and bubbles under the gloss finish. They are not raised or anything, does your top look like this?
I can’t advise you, but posting pics may help those in the know.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
There are a few streaks "along the grain" where I imagine the unconstrained (not twill) CF fibers might of twisted. To my eye it makes it look more wood-like. There are other variations that look like a little very light tight burl across the entire top. You can see where the spacer between the inner and outer layers of CF does not run all the way to the edge (it is less visible on their models where the visible CF layer is twill). Nothing I would describe as bubbles. I used to have one of the original CO-DR's and RainSong is definitely improving their art over time, but maybe perfect uniformity of CF twill or straight CF fiber "grain" isn't really the right goal (like getting those ugly curls out of Jimmy Page's Les Paul :~).

To my eye, the 3x3 twill RainSong prefers (the tighter the twill, the weaker for all other parameters kept constant, will be the final product -- curving the fibers to weave the twill detracts from strength and tighter twill means more curves) does not look as nice as 1x1 twill. 1x1 is hard to avoid on tight curves if you want the fabric to look regular and RainSong uses it for at least the visible layer on their necks.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Nice! Congrats on the new guitar!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:52 PM

Congrats! I bought one a few weeks ago and haven't touched my Taylor since. The CH-OM is my go to guitar...

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:27 PM

Talking

Hands down the most versatile guitar I own fast neck, great for bluegrass to chord melody, short scale is super. SCGC low tensions really make it sing!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
There are a few streaks "along the grain" where I imagine the unconstrained (not twill) CF fibers might of twisted. To my eye it makes it look more wood-like. There are other variations that look like a little very light tight burl across the entire top..
Yes, that's what it looks like, a burl in wood. Good description. Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the well wishes.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:47 AM

Great pickup. +1 on the SCGC low tension strings for it. Not sure how long they last yet, but they sound great on it, fwiw.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I recently downsized to the H-OM model (from the WS). This size rocks!! Wishing you many happy hours of playing time!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Congrats! I recently downsized to the H-OM model (from the WS). This size rocks!! Wishing you many happy hours of playing time!
Thanks and right back at you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber