The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 AM

Default Throwing Stones ~ Grateful Dead ~ Cover

Jerry once said "We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice".

To me Throwing Stones may be a "licorice" type song ... But I loved it from the first time I heard it (Greek Theater, Berkeley CA in the mid-80's. Dang... 30 years ago!

The first live performance of "Throwing Stones" was on September 17, 1982 at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. It appeared on their 1987 album 'In the Dark'.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 AM

Fantastic cover. I love the original and never thought to cover this but after listening to your version I might have to give it a go !!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Hey mlazare - Thanks so much!

Glad you liked and inspired you to play it.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Man, that sounds good, Jake! Very nice playing, good singing and very good job on your video, too! Very enjoyable!

- Glenn
Old 04-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Man, that sounds good, Jake! Very nice playing, good singing and very good job on your video, too! Very enjoyable!

- Glenn
You're too kind! Thank you Glenn and glad you liked it!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 AM

Saw The Dead many times from 87-95... I think Throwin' Stones may have been the song I heard them do more than any other. Gotta admit after the 20th time or so I was thinking "ugh, again?...ok" Great tune though, and nicely done!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Excellent Jake..
Sounds Great.
Thanks for sharing
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Relaxed vocals and playing... and the tone you are getting from that J45 is very full and round. Is that an Apogee USB mic? Very solid! Thanks for sharing. ~ Mike
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
Saw The Dead many times from 87-95... I think Throwin' Stones may have been the song I heard them do more than any other. Gotta admit after the 20th time or so I was thinking "ugh, again?...ok" Great tune though, and nicely done!
Appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Excellent Jake..
Sounds Great.
Thanks for sharing
My pleasure.. Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Very nice! Relaxed vocals and playing... and the tone you are getting from that J45 is very full and round. Is that an Apogee USB mic? Very solid! Thanks for sharing. ~ Mike
Thanks! Yes it's the Apogee 96K Lightning.. I use my iPad Mini with Garage band to record.

I'm still working on getting the Mic's placement correct.

I am digging it though!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Jake--

You are getting a great sound from that rig, very enjoyable.

I have to admit this is not one of my all time favorite Dead tunes (i.e. I'm going to get a beer now ). But the Weir/Barlow tunes can be a little bit more complex than Garcia/Hunter songs, and hearing it stripped down this way really showcases it.

I am a fan of a couple of tunes on this album, including Big Muddy River and especially West LA Fadeaway, which I think would sound great on your Gibson.

Nice work!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Jake--

You are getting a great sound from that rig, very enjoyable.

I have to admit this is not one of my all time favorite Dead tunes (i.e. I'm going to get a beer now ). But the Weir/Barlow tunes can be a little bit more complex than Garcia/Hunter songs, and hearing it stripped down this way really showcases it.

I am a fan of a couple of tunes on this album, including Big Muddy River and especially West LA Fadeaway, which I think would sound great on your Gibson.

Nice work!
Hey - I hear ya! But Throwing Stones to me was an awesome song (Live).. It could get some steam in the middle and Jerry's solo. I also loved the end when he (Jerry) would chug the notes under Bobby's vocal rant....

Thanks for the comments.

On West LA .. I never really got into it on Acoustic. Did play it with full band. Black Muddy River ... Does lend itself to solo acoustic. I have tried a few times.

Thanks Bob!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Hey - I hear ya! But Throwing Stones to me was an awesome song (Live).. It could get some steam in the middle and Jerry's solo. I also loved the end when he (Jerry) would chug the notes under Bobby's vocal rant....

Thanks for the comments.

On West LA .. I never really got into it on Acoustic. Did play it with full band. Black Muddy River ... Does lend itself to solo acoustic. I have tried a few times.

Thanks Bob!
I hear you, Jake. I'm showing my age by not respecting this tune! My time as a deadhead (and their time as a band, in my view) peaked in in the late 70's
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I hear you, Jake. I'm showing my age by not respecting this tune! My time as a deadhead (and their time as a band, in my view) peaked in in the late 70's
Oh.... THAT explains it!

Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 PM

WOW it'll only take me 3 solid months to learn that. KUDOS!!!

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 PM

As someone who started playing guitar because of the Dead, I have to say . . .very nicely done . I may have to give it a go too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell