The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2017, 10:29 AM

If you do get a sub to go with your SA220, then follow Fishman's advice on how to connect.

And if you want a step up in sub quality (more articulate, less one-notey, plywood cab) from the Behringer that you are considering, the EV ZXA1 is the standard for small subs, and the price is reasonable.

https://reverb.com/p/electro-voice-z...ered-subwoofer
Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
We use a bass guitar in our trio.
The sub works good at keeping those
Low freq out of our k10s. If you do alot
Of drop d stuff you may notice the sub enhances
The lower freq of the guitar... but most subs
On the mkt dont respond high enough to
Enhance acoustic inst...and they are all heavy.
Perhaps selling the fishstick and buying a k12
Qsc speaker would be more to your liking.
They have a deep switch to enhance lows.
Schertler i think makes some specialized acoustic guitar
Subs that have always peaked my interest.
Any array speaker is just not quite there in the
Bass response dept. For me anyway...close
But not quite. Unless they have a sub like bose.
Schertler "Tom" system is spendy but cool.light
With a sub.
We run bass through K10s or K12s I set the LF EQ for "Ext Sub" which engages a 100 hz high pass filter. We do not run subs. It sounds good this way. The needed bass frequencies pop out and the bass volume can be up without bring out the mud or flapping the speaker. Too much low-low bass just sounds murky and clouds up the live mix.

A typical inexpensive compact sub is of minimal value for adding real low end clarity. Not enough power, not enough speaker. Maybe a little thump feel but mostly makes the mix messy. I routinely roll off bass in recording mixes and the 100 hz QSC high pass setting accomplishes a similar result. Solid bass, no mud. In general my philosophy is stay away from the deep switch. The QSCs can't really handle the deep at any volume. I know this is a personal preference but keeping that <100hz out has worked on a lot of mixes.

I have said it before, for many applications having a sub is a fad and adds little value. And to get real sub performance when real low bass is required? Money, size and weight. Calling the speaker on a Bose system a sub is very optimistic.

So as you might guess, my advice is use your money on something besides a sub.

hunter
Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
I'm no expert, but ... seems like you'd want to go from the mixer to the sub to the SA220 to take advantage of the sub's crossover.
This is exactly what I do. Mackie mixer to the Bose F1 sub, and use the sub's crossover to run to the SA220. Takes a lot of the load off of the Fishmans (I use two), especially when I use the octave pedal to get a bass sound from my Taylor K22ce for songs like Peggy Lee's "Fever" (yes, I do get surprised looks when people hear it). In the last year I can't count how many people have told me it is the fullest, cleanest sounding system they have heard. Our group is one female singer, a drummer, and me trying to be guitar and bass at once.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
We run bass through K10s or K12s I set the LF EQ for "Ext Sub" which engages a 100 hz high pass filter. We do not run subs. It sounds good this way. The needed bass frequencies pop out and the bass volume can be up without bring out the mud or flapping the speaker. Too much low-low bass just sounds murky and clouds up the live mix.

A typical inexpensive compact sub is of minimal value for adding real low end clarity. Not enough power, not enough speaker. Maybe a little thump feel but mostly makes the mix messy. I routinely roll off bass in recording mixes and the 100 hz QSC high pass setting accomplishes a similar result. Solid bass, no mud. In general my philosophy is stay away from the deep switch. The QSCs can't really handle the deep at any volume. I know this is a personal preference but keeping that <100hz out has worked on a lot of mixes.

I have said it before, for many applications having a sub is a fad and adds little value. And to get real sub performance when real low bass is required? Money, size and weight. Calling the speaker on a Bose system a sub is very optimistic.

hunter
Kinda what i meant as well.if your not using a bass guitar or kick drum..
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post

hunter

Well stated. Most of these compact / acoustic PA systems use a 8", 10" or 12" woofer for 200Hz or 300Hz and below. I think any speaker with capability down to 60Hz should provide clear bass for this application. High pass at 100Hz is probably smart thinking for live mix with multiple musicians. Below 100Hz is typically feedback producing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Wow! I was two weeks too early. $799 plus negotiation opportunity.

http://www.prosoundgear.com/shop/spe...ray-pa-system/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And now $749.00!

http://www.prosoundgear.com/shop/spe...ray-pa-system/
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duolh View Post
We are an acoustic duo, overall our volumes are fairly low. We have a Fishman Solo SA220 as our small-venue PA, run though a Mackie ProFX12 mixer. We want to add a powered sub-woofer to round out our sound, I'm leaning toward a 12" Beringer B1200D, which has an adjustable crossover, lots of inputs/outputs.

Fishman advised me to route the signal from the mixer to the SA220, and then use it's 'monitor out' or 'post di out' to run the sub.

I've read some bloggers who are running from the mixer to the sub, and then the SA220, using the crossover in the sub to restrict the frequencies sent to the Fishman.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Duolh
Why would you need a subwoofer with an acoustic duo?

What is the lowest fundamental frequency that either guitar or either vocalist generates?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 PM

Having used the Fishman SA220 for hundreds of gigs, I can't see using more bass than it provides. Maybe get a 16 frequency equalizer to accentuate the bass you already have. I think it's more of an EQ issue than anything... Unless you want to rock the house.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification