The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Anybody own a Henriksen the Bud?

...And want to comment on it.

I was thinking due to it's convenient size, I could use it as a monitor for my guitar next to me on stage. I could plug it directly in and send the DI out to the sound guys. It seems to have excellent EQ control. There would be no need for any other preamp etc. The Henriksen website says it sounds best on the floor for better bass response. I would need to put it on a stand of some kind.

Please give me a review. Thanks.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I was very curious when I first saw ads for the Bud; seemed a few folks on here got 'em, but then I never heard anything about the amp, not once the "honeymoon" was over. I'd be interested in hearing the responses to your question...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 PM

I have one, haven't used it at a gig yet. It has more useable eq than anything else I've used. If you need to elevate it the bass can be boosted with eq. The DI out is post everything, if I use it as a monitor I'll use a DI box in front of it in case I need to adjust mid set. The sound disperses well so it can be used fairly close and still be on the floor.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

There was a great thread here a while back that went on for awhile with a lot of people that were interested and a bought them or at least auditioned them. Generally speaking (as I recall) most of the opinions on them were extremely positive.

I auditioned one for a few weeks and ended up sending it back. It sounded pretty good but I had a very specific criteria for performance to justify me keeping it due to the high price. It needed to replace two amps I was using at the time and it fell short of those needs.

Ultimately, I ended up going in a different direction altogether. But I seemed to be the exception. Do a search and you'll find that thread. I commented in it. I think I also posted my own review as well with more details.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Bud Amp

I've owned a Bud for about 6 mos. now. Since I've only used it to amplify an archtop guitar (17" carved top; floating Benedetto PU), I can't speak directly to how it would sound along with an acoustic guitar/transducer. For my purposes - it's great! Unbelievably good/clean sound, with plenty of volume and bass response. I tired it out on a stand (small aluminum folding table) at the 2nd gig I took it out on, and immediately switched back to placing it on the floor. There's so much volume available from the Bud that placing it on the floor doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have an Eastman AR910 acoustic archtop (non-cutaway) that I'm planning to outfit with a PUTW transducer; I'll post a thread after that project comes to fruition...
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM

In our church, we are trying to keep the stage volume at a minimum so the mains can do their job and still keep the overall decibels at a minimum. We like to point monitors right at the musicians head and as close as possible to achieve that goal. So I am interested to know if the Bud can still have a decent bass response if positioned off the floor or at least tilted back so it is pointed at an angle upward. If all it takes is a bit of bass EQ then that's okay.

Can someone shed light on this?

I don't mind spending $1000 on this at all. Just want to know if it lives up to it's billing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Vancbo - if you google places that sell them, there is at least one place that will let you trial them. pm me if more info is needed.

I have one. Coming from a Bose took some 'adjustment' Overall I am very happy with it. It sounds ok on a stool at waist height to me. It seems to have plenty of bass. I actually have not tried it on the floor. I'll actually have opportunity next weekend playing for about 50 people and will try it. Playing acoustic in a band setting with piano, drums, bass - however, I'm more interested in the mid-range which is a little more directional - so playing with it on the stool is advantageous for me.

If anything getting the midrange dialed-in is the most challenging for me. The amp is a little electric sounding in that range - it's not quite as 'open' and 'airy' as *I* would like ... however, it's physics, too. For it's size and power I think it's amazing, and there are plenty of controls. I rarely miss lugging around my Bose.

It would be great as a monitor. Maybe Bluewyatt will chime in, I think he does that in larger venues and loves it.

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

Last edited by coopman; 01-20-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added text
Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
In our church, we are trying to keep the stage volume at a minimum so the mains can do their job and still keep the overall decibels at a minimum. We like to point monitors right at the musicians head and as close as possible to achieve that goal. So I am interested to know if the Bud can still have a decent bass response if positioned off the floor or at least tilted back so it is pointed at an angle upward. If all it takes is a bit of bass EQ then that's okay.

Can someone shed light on this?

I don't mind spending $1000 on this at all. Just want to know if it lives up to it's billing.
Doubtful. One of things I did note was as soon as you get it up off the floor you lose a lot of the bass. I had it up on a chair and it was very thin sounding. It wasn't until I put it on the floor and got a good 15' away from it that I felt I could get decent tone out of it.

Sound Pure is the place that you can demo order them. They were great to work with. You do end up swallowing shipping both ways if you return it but it's so small the cost was worth being able to check it out.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Logic is telling me that in a band situation, having less bass is fine. Going solo, that would be a different story.

The best vid I saw on the Bud was done with the bud on a small table lying on its back pointing straight up at a microphone. They gave two examples; one with the mic in front of the speaker and another from the DI out. They did not sound the same. The DI was definitely brighter.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

I owned one and used it at a couple of gigs.

I wanted to like it but it sounded boxy and I didn't like the sound of the guitar or vocals through it. I feel the same about my AER. I'm mainly using a K10 lately and it's generally just a lot better than any acoustic amp, if not quite as portable.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I owned one and used it at a couple of gigs.

I wanted to like it but it sounded boxy and I didn't like the sound of the guitar or vocals through it. I feel the same about my AER. I'm mainly using a K10 lately and it's generally just a lot better than any acoustic amp, if not quite as portable.
This is pretty much my take on these mini amps.
I have an aer. More bass on the floor like said before.
After spending a grand i cant say i want to use this
As a sole pa...it would be too big a compromise
For my ear.it sounds great for what it is .a 12x12 box
But it just doesnt quite cut it in the solo dept.
I will use my k10 over the aer anyday..
If i was busking on the street i would get a battery
For this and use it.. right now it makes a great
Monitor...i cant imagine the bud is any or much better.
The physics just are not there. But for a compact stage
Monitor these are great..
Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 AM

I have one and really like it. Plenty of bass due to the bottom facing port. Phantom power on both inputs and a preamp that will let you use passive pickups. Yes, you do lose some of the wonderful lows if you raise. I keep one of those collapsible amp wedges in the gig bag to tilt it up. Works great. Sounds as good as a much larger high end amp. My only complaint is that while the five band EQ is great for tone shaping, there is no notch filter for killing feedback at louder volumes. No problem with my archtop, but a pain with an acoustic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 AM

I should also mention that I drive a Mini Cooper, so the tiny size is a big deal to me. You might also check out the Phil Jones amps which also provide gigable volume in a tiny package. I have one of their bass amps and love it, but they also do acoustic guitar amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Good to know. Thanks a lot
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification