The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Holy geez, how have I not heard of the Tonedexter before? It seems to be the Aura, in essence, but not proprietary to any particular pickup. I'm sure there some that don't work well, but this is definitely a good "invest up front" pay less in the long run kind of investment. The LB6 is $85 passive without install. This would afford me the opportunity to amplify more of my acoustics for less.

Well, now I found a toy I need. Thanks, guitaniac
Eric,

ToneDexter has yet to be released (some time in April is the target date), but there's been a huge amount of discussion on it here. Its similar in concept to Aura, except that the user must create his/her own "WaveMap" for a particular instrument/pickup rig by having ToneDexter simultaneously monitor the pickup signal and the miked instrument signal while playing the instrument for a minute or two. The WaveMap is employed later, with that particular instrument/pickup rig, when using TonedDexter for instrument amplification.

Its similar in concept to having an Aura preamp and being able to make do-it-yourself custom sound images for several of your instruments. (We're all hoping it'll work even better than Aura with custom sound images, but that remains to be reported on by actual customers. The demo recordings are certainly encouraging to me.)

Oops. I should've included a link to the website.
http://audiosprockets.com/

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-31-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Eric,

ToneDexter has yet to be released (some time in April is the target date), but there's been a huge amount of discussion on it here. Its similar in concept to Aura, except that the user must create his/her own "WaveMap" for a particular instrument/pickup rig by having ToneDexter simultaneously monitor the pickup signal and the miked instrument signal while playing the instrument for a minute or two. The WaveMap is employed later, with that particular instrument/pickup rig, when using TonedDexter for instrument amplification.

Its similar in concept to having an Aura preamp and being able to make do-it-yourself custom sound images for several of your instruments. (We're all hoping it'll work even better than Aura with custom sound images, but that remains to be reported on by actual customers. The demo recordings are certainly encouraging to me.)

Oops. I should've included a link to the website.
http://audiosprockets.com/
I just found an old post where James said he didn't think it would work with the LB6 or Barbera Soloist, which is a major bummer. Now, that doesn't mean it's impossible, I'm just a little less enthused now.

Maybe one day I won't pick transducers that prove difficult to manage.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 03-31-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I just found an old post where James said he didn't think it would work with the LB6 or Barbera Soloist, which is a major bummer. Now, that doesn't mean it's impossible, I'm just a little less enthused now.

Maybe one day I won't pick transducers that prove difficult to manage.
Yes, I touched on that drawback (with respect to the LB6) in an earlier post. Personally, I think the DTAR Wavelength sounds just as good or better. The basic Wavelength system (without output level and tone controls at the soundhole rim) is quite inexpensive and easy to install. And FWIW, it seems to be the most popular UST on this forum.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

I should mention that since my earlier posts on the topic of mixed phase pickups like the Barbera Soloist and the Baggs LB6, we have improved our training algorithm to be more forgiving.

One of our beta testers has trained up with a Barbera Soloist and is getting stellar results. That pickup has every other element out of phase. In order to successfully train, he just played on every other string during the training period.

I believe, though am not sure, that this is the same wiring scheme used by the LB6 as well. If it is, it ought to be usable. We just haven't had a chance to try one yet. Soon I hope...
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I should mention that since my earlier posts on the topic of mixed phase pickups like the Barbera Soloist and the Baggs LB6, we have improved our training algorithm to be more forgiving.

One of our beta testers has trained up with a Barbera Soloist and is getting stellar results. That pickup has every other element out of phase. In order to successfully train, he just played on every other string during the training period.

I believe, though am not sure, that this is the same wiring scheme used by the LB6 as well. If it is, it ought to be usable. We just haven't had a chance to try one yet. Soon I hope...
I was actually going to post that "I emailed James and he said there's a possibility it would work with the LB6 as he was able to make the Barbera work" but he beat me to it.

I look forward to fixing it a try.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Yes, I touched on that drawback (with respect to the LB6) in an earlier post. Personally, I think the DTAR Wavelength sounds just as good or better. The basic Wavelength system (without output level and tone controls at the soundhole rim) is quite inexpensive and easy to install. And FWIW, it seems to be the most popular UST on this forum.
The problem with the wavelength is that it uses the Lr Baggs element. I am personally a believer in the theory that the element alters the unplugged tone. I have the anthem installed now but what excites me about the tonedexter, other than the fact that it sounds great, is that I will be able to install a pickup that's less invasive than the element and will still get great tones.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The problem with the wavelength is that it uses the Lr Baggs element. I am personally a believer in the theory that the element alters the unplugged tone. I have the anthem installed now but what excites me about the tonedexter, other than the fact that it sounds great, is that I will be able to install a pickup that's less invasive than the element and will still get great tones.
I've experimented with removing the Anthem SL and using a mag with one of my guitars. I definitely felt that its unplugged sustain improved a bit (without the UST installed), but I don't know if the Element transducer is any worse in that regard that most other USTs. I tend to agree with the folks who believe the Element affects unplugged tone less after settling in for awhile.

The Barbera Soloist saddle material is reportedly very unplugged-friendly. Perhaps the Barbera/ToneDexter combo will end up being the ideal rig for those who want to "have it all" with respect to unplugged tone, amplified tone and optimum feedback rejection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman matrix, lr baggs anthem, pickup selection