The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Strings for CA dread

I lucked up on another purchase, a CA Bluegrass Performer dreadnaught. It doesn't have a scratch on it! And with a nice Gator case, too. I have no idea how long these strings have been on, anyone have a recommendation? I like Martin Lifespan strings on my Gibsons and Martins. Lights? Mediums?

I now have an OX Raw and this new (to me) one. Two guitars totally impervious to weather! I could tour with those and be set. Actually, hmmm... might put a carbon baritone on the wish list for someday.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM

To me it was always Elixir 80/20 nanos. The CAs needed the brightness.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
To me it was always Elixir 80/20 nanos. The CAs needed the brightness.
I tend to agree with this acoustically but plugged in I like the Nano PB a little better. To me the 80/20's always sound a little too bright with an undersaddle type pickup. Something you can EQ a little different I suppose but even then I can hear the difference.

The difference is just a little, at least that's what my old ears tell me.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM

I think so much depends on your playing style. I like John Pearse phosphor bronze on my guitars, including my CA Vintage Performer (what they called the vintage-voiced Legacy back in 2006). However, I think there's something about my playing style that tends to make the end result brighter than most players.

Personally, I don't think there's anything magical about CF guitars that match with certain strings better than others. I think the player is such a big part of that equation that you just have to experiment. My thought would be to start with strings you already like. If those don't seem to be working, tell us what you don't like about them and we might be able to offer some suggestions.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I think so much depends on your playing style. I like John Pearse phosphor bronze on my guitars, including my CA Vintage Performer (what they called the vintage-voiced Legacy back in 2006). However, I think there's something about my playing style that tends to make the end result brighter than most players.

Personally, I don't think there's anything magical about CF guitars that match with certain strings better than others. I think the player is such a big part of that equation that you just have to experiment. My thought would be to start with strings you already like. If those don't seem to be working, tell us what you don't like about them and we might be able to offer some suggestions.
I believe I'm with you on this one. I think you just kinda hear things how you hear them or should I say how you like things to sound. I will say that over the years my taste have changed somewhat but not much.

Try whatever string you have decided you like on other guitars first and go from there.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber