The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Default Reverse Karaoke?

Are there any mixes available for the acoustic guitar player that are more singer and backup than the acoustic? Unfortunately, I am not confident to sing with my own music or any for that matter and I find this very difficult if possible at all to "finish" a song to the point I feel I have accomplished the goal of playing the song in a manner that someone could sing along with. A live singer would feel my frustration and I really don't want to put someone through that nor do I know anyone willing to participate in that exercise.

Jerry
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 AM

I don't know specifically of any mixes like this, but I've noticed the Vox JamVox recently, which consists of a monitor and software which allows you to either hear the guitar parts in a recording, or to strip the guitar out of a recording and to play along.

As a caveat, the success of such an extraction can depend on how the track is recorded and where the guitar is in the stereo soundfield, but it works for most tracks easily. Also, as always, one's computer set-up can sometimes have issues with any given software tool.

A lot of people are having success with those little netbooks as a computer for this, as long as they don't have a lot of extensions loaded on the computer that interfere.

Hopefully someone can recommend what you're actually looking for, but it felt it was worth mentioning....
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM

I have tried the opposite effect of voice removal and it really is not a success. Some of the time the vocals are mixed in a manner that the vocals can be removed by flipping wave forms and canceling the left channel center voice by laying the right channel voice over it which the wave forms cancel eachother i.e. Karaoke, this does not work in reverse that I can find.

I guess I have to regrow the singing ability I had as a child, not a bad singer then but not a confident one to say the least.

Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD