The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-07-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Electric bass and guitar recording

For bass and to some extent electric guitar, how are you recording? Software? Micing an amp with effects already applied? Micing an amp and adding affects later while mixing? What gets you the best results?
Old 02-07-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
For bass and to some extent electric guitar, how are you recording? Software? Micing an amp with effects already applied? Micing an amp and adding affects later while mixing? What gets you the best results?
Direct in, add effects later--using amp sims and plugins. For electric guitar where I really want to hear the effects as I'm playing, I might monitor with the effects but record the guitar dry to be re-effected later, or record through my pedals but split it so I also have a dry track that I can tweak later. Some pedals like my Boss GT1000core let you "re-amp" with the pedal from your DAW after recording.

Bass is always DI with any processing added later.

Works well for me because I really don't have the space in inclination to mic an amp, and amp sims are really, really good these days.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:23 PM

I use a Kemper. Spent a while finding the right profiles. Sounds great. I'm in a condo where the volume can get to be an issue with a cranked guitar amp. Kemper is a far better solution for me.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Most of the time when I record either bass or electric guitar, I go straight into my interface and then use Guitar Rig as a plug-in in my DAW.

There are times when I use my Fender Blues Deville Amp with a mic or two and sometimes I go direct by using my Line 6 HD Pro X rack mount unit.

In general though, I have been pretty happy with the tones I can get from Guitar Rig and I really like being able to change the amps after recording as needed to suit the song and the mix.

Regarding bass, there are some bass programs in my Line 6 HD Pro X rack mount unit, but again, I mostly use Guitar Rig. I don't even have a real bass amp.

- Glenn
Old 02-07-2022, 08:36 PM

Bass? Huge fan of Logic Pro X bass recording "sims," so I'll plug direct into the interface and one of them almost all the time when recording. I'll use and modify all of them, but I often get good results quickly with just a little tweaking with the default "Hi-Fi DI" preset.

I've even played "live in the studio" with others using the Logic Pro X bass stuff and the bass DI'ed into an interface.

Guitar? I use Logic's Guitar Amp/Effects too, but I also have the Amplitube 5 software. Lots of flexibility and of course you can sync effects to the project tempo and change your mind afterward. No worry about room acoustics and I can record in my house without bothering people most of the time. However, when I can, I still like mic'ing a "real amp" in my studio space as interaction between an amp, room, and guitar is something I like to experience. I have three amps all setup mic'ed in the studio space so it easy to just plug in and go.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I use the Hi-Z inputs on the Apollo interface for electric bass and guitar but I always then use one of the Unison pre-amp plug-ins depending on what sound I want. The Unison versions of the analog Universal Audio tube pre-amps - the 610 A and B, and all of the Neve pre-amp simulations - the 1073, 1084, and my favorite, the 88SR channel strip - all can be overdriven and sound better to my ears than going through the Tone King tube amp I have as well. Or, I have two more Unison pre-amp modules to simulate amps - one a Marshall Plex and the other a '55 Fender Tweed, the latter being one that I actually use and like. So lots of options, but those Neve and UAD pre-amps are really really nice sounding.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-07-2022, 10:26 PM

I almost always DI my bass into an API 512c. No EQ, no compression ( but I do do those things when I mix). Electric guitar depends on what I'm after, but I reckon that I mic an amp about 90% of the time. I haven't used an amp sim on guitar in a long time, but I'm not philosophically opposed to them.

Couch Standards
Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 PM

For Guitar, Shure SM7B on a variety of amps, Swart STR Tweed, Fender DRRI, Fender Champ. Dry - apply reverb later.

For Bass, direct out from my Aguilar TH500.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:32 AM

Bass is DI. For guitar I mike the amp since I don't have any amp sims that I particularly like. (Though I'm sure there are some out there.)

D.H.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I do it for a living. For guitar amps I use an SM57 and a Royer R-121. The capsules were parallel and coincident but the shot doesn't make it look that way.

These days I'm playing a good portion of my recording sessions through a Line 6 Helix.

I've developed a small group of presets that cover probably 95% of my client's needs. The answer regarding whether or not to add effects when recording actually comes down to two questions:

1. who is producing?
2. does the player need the effects to play his part?

When others are producing they call the shots. Some want a fully-developed sound and some want something more spare. When I am producing I often know what I want. My Helix presets come with my basic effects built on and turned on. If I want them clean I just hit a couple of foot switches and they are gone.

Flexibility is important.

Bass? I typically run basses in through an Avalon VT737 tube preamp and channel strip. It has tube compression and a nice EQ. I only use a pinch of compression and usually record flat unless a bass walks through the door that has some sort of really odd harmonic thing going on that I know won't fly.

I find that it gives me both a nice smooth sound and plenty of flexibility.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:56 AM

Bass - I always DI, then use either PodFarm (Silverface bass amp setting most often) or an Ampeg amp sim if I just want a straight bass sound.

Electric guitar - depends! For rhythm guitar parts that don't require much for dynamics, I will DI and use Podfarm, but I prefer to mic an amp (with an SM57). I find the 'feedback' (the guitar's pickups picking up the sound from the amp, not squeal!) just sounds and feels better.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-08-2022, 09:07 AM

I go DI into my Apollo audio interface (or sometimes an even better preamp first) and then the UAD plug-ins on the way in. The Ampeg stuff is killer on bass, doesn't leave me wanting for anything. I'd say I'm 100% satisfied with that. The UAD Buxom Betty is my favorite guitar amp plug-in, although it depends on what your after. I'd say I'm about 90-95% satisfied with the guitar amp plugins.

Just for additional context, IF I played more electric and had great amps, I'd mic them and see how they compete with the plugins. But for now and the little bit of electric I play anymore, the UAD plugins are certainly better than what I get out of my Line 6.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 02-08-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Don't have a Bass guitar, so for my Electric guitars about 90 % of time I mic one or both of my Amp/Cabinets .. I have on a just few occasions gone direct into my Interface and use amp sims.
I usually use my pair of AEA N22 ribbons But I have also used my Shure SM57 before I got the ribbons
But now as per Bob W's post ,,, I may try one N22 and the SM 57.....
Gotta love this place for new ideas and inspiration

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-08-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I do it for a living. For guitar amps I use an SM57 and a Royer R-121. The capsules were parallel and coincident but the shot doesn't make it look that way.
Bob's got a nice, flexible setup there. At that distance the Royer will probably be relatively roundish and warm, while the 57 will be quite a bit more telephone-y.

If you find yourself having ONLY a 57 or something similar, though, you may want to bring it in quite a bit closer, and pointed more toward the edge of the cone (which is a lot closer to the front to the cabinet than the center of the cone is). That way you can take advantage of the mic's proximity effect, and the 57 will give you more more warmth and size than you'd get if you positioned it as in the photo.

Couch Standards
Old 02-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Bob's got a nice, flexible setup there. At that distance the Royer will probably be relatively roundish and warm, while the 57 will be quite a bit more telephone-y.

If you find yourself having ONLY a 57 or something similar, though, you may want to bring it in quite a bit closer, and pointed more toward the edge of the cone (which is a lot closer to the front to the cabinet than the center of the cone is). That way you can take advantage of the mic's proximity effect, and the 57 will give you more more warmth and size than you'd get if you positioned it as in the photo.
Yes I did the same thing with my Schoeps CM6-4 Mk

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD