The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-07-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Might be just fine under the hood. Nothing to tamper with, unless the hacker(s) who filed the frets and made that poor nut got energetic.
Brace shaving is a very common "I read how this will make my guitar sound better" destructive hack.

This guitar looks like it's passed through the hands of someone who knows just enough to be dangerous.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Brace shaving is a very common "I read how this will make my guitar sound better" destructive hack.

This guitar looks like it's passed through the hands of someone who knows just enough to be dangerous.
Are those types of hacks common on guitars at this price point?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 AM

Default a thought

Apparently so...
Old 01-07-2022, 08:25 AM

I'm not expecting anything brutal. It really is a clean guitar despite the nut/fret observations. Thats the weird part, for the frets to have been worked on I would expect much more wear/tear on the guitar.

I'll get a professional opinion at 3pm today.

In the meantime I've played the guitar more... adjusting to a 2 5/16" saddle spacing is not something I've not done before. I knew it was coming, but my other guitars are 2 3/16 and 2 1/4. Apparently Bourgeois only offers a 1 3/4" nut with the 2 5/16" saddle spacing.

My main guitar is a Blueridge BR-140A which I love... this Bourgeois does sound a bit better, but it really made me see just how good my Blueridge is haha. I've put a few hundred hours on that guitar over the past few years.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabbag View Post
I'm not expecting anything brutal. It really is a clean guitar despite the nut/fret observations. Thats the weird part, for the frets to have been worked on I would expect much more wear/tear on the guitar.

I'll get a professional opinion at 3pm today.

In the meantime I've played the guitar more... adjusting to a 2 5/16" saddle spacing is not something I've not done before. I knew it was coming, but my other guitars are 2 3/16 and 2 1/4. Apparently Bourgeois only offers a 1 3/4" nut with the 2 5/16" saddle spacing.

My main guitar is a Blueridge BR-140A which I love... this Bourgeois does sound a bit better, but it really made me see just how good my Blueridge is haha. I've put a few hundred hours on that guitar over the past few years.
You bought a bluegrass-oriented cannon. Embrace getting used to the 2 5/16" saddle spacing. A month from now you won't even remember having to get used to it.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Exactly. IDK What Bourgeois uses for a nut but it looks like this guy 'heard that' bone nuts improve the tone and decided to give it a go.

It's a great looking guitar though.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Are those types of hacks common on guitars at this price point?
The amount of money spent, low or high, has little effect on the presence or lack of common sense.

In this case the flattened fret crowns are a very real indicator of this.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
You bought a bluegrass-oriented cannon. Embrace getting used to the 2 5/16" saddle spacing. A month from now you won't even remember having to get used to it.
Thanks! definitely a great sounding guitar. Its the Aged Tone Mahogany D, Adirondack top, Mahogany back and sides.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:19 PM

Everything checked out fine. Yes the frets are flatter on top than usual, but luthier said it's not a hack job and possibly left factory like this. Plenty of material to crown if it bothers me.

Nut looks to be original too... spacing is off, but easily fixable if it bothers me.

Overall said the guitar is in excellent condition and we can adjust the few things that are bothering me pretty easily.

Can't wait to start playing and enjoying it
Old 01-07-2022, 04:14 PM

Default ?????'s

mirwa-someone is lying to you.=UNANIMOUS AGREEMENT!
rudy4-Flattened crowns=unfinished hack job!
your expert luthier?says its ok as is .. HMMMMMMMMMM

one does not leave guitar frets in this semi finished condition. regardless of its price!

my advice Find another luthier asap.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:50 PM

Default a thought

I think there is no way on this green earth that a Bourgeois guitar left the nest with those frets and that nut.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I think you might want to consider dropping a note to Bourgeois. While they’re under no obligation to fix what you’re dealing with, they could, at least, offer some assurance that the guitar did not leave their facility in that condition.

Those frets look awful, frankly.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-07-2022, 05:59 PM

Default a thought

Have the serial number in hand and call Bourgeois, emails don't carry immediacy like a phone call. And conversations can yield up lots more information than a q-and-a-and-done email.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabbag View Post
Everything checked out fine. Yes the frets are flatter on top than usual, but luthier said it's not a hack job and possibly left factory like this. Plenty of material to crown if it bothers me.t
You need to get another guy.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Amazing number of experts who can better assess a guitar based on a couple pics over the evaluation of a luthier who actually has the guitar in hand and has played it. Reminds me of getting medical advice over the internet - everything’s cancer!

I’m gonna go the other direction, and if you’ve used this luthier and like/trust their work, and you really like the guitar, and think the price is fair, just enjoy your guitar. The issues noted are easily dealt with, and certainly not irreversible.

But if you have any concerns at all that are gonna keep you from enjoying it, then send it back and put it all behind you.

Whatever - just move on, and don’t make too many assumptions about the intentions or efforts of others -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair