The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2021, 06:07 PM

Default Boss TU3 Problem

All of a sudden my tuner is reading both E strings incorrectly (shows F).
The other strings are all accurate, it's only the E strings.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems odd that it is reading correctly on the other 4 strings.

I'm stumped.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-22-2021, 06:15 PM

Might try a reset: https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-FACTORY-RESET
Old 08-22-2021, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the response.

I tried the reset, but no luck.
E comes up F, but everything else is correct which makes no sense to me.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-23-2021, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

How old is it? They do have a lifespan
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 08-23-2021, 06:14 PM

It is about a year old. I'm going to take it in to where I bought it, see if they can do anything.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-24-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
It is about a year old. I'm going to take it in to where I bought it, see if they can do anything.
I've never heard of such an issue. I've had the Boss TU2 (not the TU3) on my board for 14 years and I've never had any issues. I'd ask if perhaps there was a setting to tune a specific string to a different cent level but the factory reset would have fixed that.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
All of a sudden my tuner is reading both E strings incorrectly (shows F).
The other strings are all accurate, it's only the E strings.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems odd that it is reading correctly on the other 4 strings.

I'm stumped.
You say it's "reading" incorrectly. Does that mean the E is actually in tune but the indicator shows "F"? Couldn't that be nothing more than an LCD problem with the bottom part of the letter E?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
You say it's "reading" incorrectly. Does that mean the E is actually in tune but the indicator shows "F"? Couldn't that be nothing more than an LCD problem with the bottom part of the letter E?
Ok this seemed like an obvious answer that I never thought of. So I investigated looking closely at the LED lights. But the bottom lights worked on other notes, and then I noticed something I'd never seen before. The tiny light denoting #.

I feel really dumb now. I hadn't played this guitar in a while and everything was a half note sharp. So the A D G B strings (that I thought all read true) had the tiny sharp indicator that I didn't notice. So of course the E's showed as F.

DUH!!
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-25-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Ok this seemed like an obvious answer that I never thought of. So I investigated looking closely at the LED lights. But the bottom lights worked on other notes, and then I noticed something I'd never seen before. The tiny light denoting #.

I feel really dumb now. I hadn't played this guitar in a while and everything was a half note sharp. So the A D G B strings (that I thought all read true) had the tiny sharp indicator that I didn't notice. So of course the E's showed as F.

DUH!!
Practically every problem I've had at home or gigs has been something like this: something embarassingly simple that I overlooked.

Example: I've played a Mesa Express for the past few years. I now have a Triple Crown, which I gigged for the first time a couple of days ago. The Express plugs in on the left, the TC on the right. Each has a "power on" light next to the input and lights for other functions on the opposite side of the panel. I wasn't getting sound on from the TC, and kept looking at the lights on the left to see if the things I was trying were working; which of course didn't happen, becuase they weren't power lights. The power light was on the whole time, I just wasn't looking at it. Turns out I wasn't getting sound because I had one cable that wasn't completely seated in a pedal, which was the first thing I checked after I realized I'd spent ten minutes looking at the wrong side of the amp.

Welcome to the club.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:

DUH!!
HAH! I just came across this thread and was about to type that. That happened to me when I bought my TU-3 years ago. Glad your problem is solved!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-25-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:

DUH!!
LOL. That makes sense.

I had a student 3 months ago that would come over to my house every week and his guitar was always out of tune. He said he tuned it at home. The following week he brought his clip on tuner and I had a look ... he had accidentally set it to tune many cents sharp.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Had my TU-3 for 6 months never had an issue with it so far. I reckon also that it could be just a case of the bottom line of the LED indicator isn't lighting up. It looks like F but really it's reading as E just without the bottom line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars