The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-14-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Another low cost T shaped guitar to seriously consider is the G&L Tribute ASAT. Musician's Friend will regularly (every couple of months) have one for their Stupid Deal Of The Day at $299, making it an unbelievable bargain on a new instrument.
Not sure what the budget is but for only a bit more than the Squier VM you can get a player series from Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/fe0144571002...ce=rflaid62905

They are still running the deal for $519. I picked one of these up a few weeks ago (their are a few threads over on tdpri.com from other folks who also grabbed one).
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 08-14-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Not sure what the budget is but for only a bit more than the Squier VM you can get a player series from Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/fe0144571002...ce=rflaid62905

They are still running the deal for $519. I picked one of these up a few weeks ago (their are a few threads over on tdpri.com from other folks who also grabbed one).
That’s a serious savings. Is there a catch? If not, I would jump all over it, were I in need of an electric. The Squier CV are good, but I had a Mexican made Telecaster Nashville Deluxe, and it was an excellent guitar.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Double cuts do look “weird”, in that they don’t look much a like an acoustic guitar. I think it’s hard to overstate how radical the Stratocaster was in 1954 (I say that as if it wasn’t more than 20 years before I was born).

I don’t think anyone ever regretted buying a standard Telecaster. It’s such a versatile guitar, from country twang to iconic rock (the solos from Purple Haze and Stairway were both recorded with Telecasters) to mellow jazz, the Strat may have more tones, but the Tele has more tones that I would actually use.
IMHO, what the Tele does, it does better than a Strat. Most of the extra tone that can be wrung out of a Strat I have very little use for. One combo I've always wanted to try is getting a Tele Delux (neck humbucker, Gibson controls) and replace the humbucker with a P-90, I think that combo would be awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I think I will go with the Squire. I spend enough time in the local shop and never buy anything off him, as he doesnt cary any high end acoustics, be nice to shoot him some buisness.

Now this might sound odd, but for an amp I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Fender Rumble 40. Yes, I know its a bass amp, but between the "Bright, Scoop, and Vintage" buttons, master volume, and the footswitchable overdrive channel one can wring some pretty killer guitar tones out of it for the money. As an added bonus it will work for a bass guitar amp if she wants, even running an acoustic through it sounds surprisingly good.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
That’s a serious savings. Is there a catch? If not, I would jump all over it, were I in need of an electric. The Squier CV are good, but I had a Mexican made Telecaster Nashville Deluxe, and it was an excellent guitar.
Nope, it's pretty great. It seems like the only thing that makes it a limited edition is the color (which I really like) but otherwise it's just a regular player series. They actually have a Strat as well:

https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002...ce=rflaid62905
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 PM

I probably play my tele way more than my strat since I finally got a tele two years ago so this is an unbiased opinion.

The strat might be more comfortable and ergonomical for her with the cuts and contours. They make teles with the contours but I think they’re mostly more expensive ones. That’s just a suggestion, but the normal tee may turn out fine and it’s hard to go wrong with a good tele.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I probably play my tele way more than my strat since I finally got a tele two years ago so this is an unbiased opinion.

The strat might be more comfortable and ergonomical for her with the cuts and contours. They make teles with the contours but I think they’re mostly more expensive ones. That’s just a suggestion, but the normal tee may turn out fine and it’s hard to go wrong with a good tele.
I would rather the "slab" of the tele than the countour'd cuts of a strat.

Makes them lean back on you, and that with the typical fender neck radius isn't really a perfect combo for me.

Works much better for me, (Small hands, short in stature..)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:21 PM

I would suggest looking at a 3/4-sized guitar for a 9 year old girl unless she s very big.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer View Post
I would suggest looking at a 3/4-sized guitar for a 9 year old girl unless she s very big.
Came to post exactly this. I got the Squier Mini Strat for my daughter a couple years ago — she’s nine now and definitely hasn’t outgrown it. I don’t imagine her needing anything bigger until she’s a teenager.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars