The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Another Sable owner here and am smitten with the guitar. It is a heavy (dense) build but I've gotten used to it and since I play sitting down, not a problem. First "non wood" guitar that I've had that I just don't think about wood vs. non wood when I play. It's just a nice guitar. And it's built to a very high standard. The bottom end reminds me of my Martin 0000. Not a thin sounding guitar.

But ha - yes - the guitar does have a certain smell to it. It's gotten less offensive as I keep it out of the case all the time. But it's there.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Another Sable owner here and am smitten with the guitar. It is a heavy (dense) build but I've gotten used to it and since I play sitting down, not a problem. First "non wood" guitar that I've had that I just don't think about wood vs. non wood when I play. It's just a nice guitar. And it's built to a very high standard. The bottom end reminds me of my Martin 0000. Not a thin sounding guitar.

But ha - yes - the guitar does have a certain smell to it. It's gotten less offensive as I keep it out of the case all the time. But it's there.
Hi Steve, thanks for replying. Do you find the unplugged volume to be good, overall? I’m not expecting a “canon” or “banjo killer”, but it needs to hold its own at an acoustic jam. Thanks again!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for replying. Do you find the unplugged volume to be good, overall? I’m not expecting a “canon” or “banjo killer”, but it needs to hold its own at an acoustic jam. Thanks again!
I'm probably the wrong guy to ask that particular question.

It comes with two saddles (low and medium) hand made for the actual guitar. Also comes standard with 13 gauge strings. Within the first hour, I changed the saddle from the medium to the low and put thomastik Infeld AC111's on it :-). I play fingerstyle and can say it's a pleasure to play and the volume is good for me. I'd guess with the 13's and the medium saddle it'll hold its own in any situation. My son is a more experienced player than me and when he was here for Fathers Day he really liked the McPherson; that said, he didn't mind playing my 000-28MD either :-).

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
I'm probably the wrong guy to ask that particular question.

It comes with two saddles (low and medium) hand made for the actual guitar. Also comes standard with 13 gauge strings. Within the first hour, I changed the saddle from the medium to the low and put thomastik Infeld AC111's on it :-). I play fingerstyle and can say it's a pleasure to play and the volume is good for me. I'd guess with the 13's and the medium saddle it'll hold its own in any situation. My son is a more experienced player than me and when he was here for Fathers Day he really liked the McPherson; that said, he didn't mind playing my 000-28MD either :-).
Thanks again! I'm reasonably sure it would be loud enough. Didn't realize it comes with 13s. I'd probably stick with the low saddle; I don't strum all that hard, most of the time.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

By the way, do retailers for McPherson discount off of MAP, or is that heavily discouraged? Same question about Rainsong (I'm also very strongly considering a model that is no longer made, the H-WS).

I appreciate the collective wisdom here!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-07-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
By the way, do retailers for McPherson discount off of MAP, or is that heavily discouraged? Same question about Rainsong (I'm also very strongly considering a model that is no longer made, the H-WS).

Discounts on McPherson carbon fiber guitars are hard to come by. They are selling well at their asking price. I think the price that they and Emerald are asking for their carbon fiber guitars are fair. I managed to purchase mine at a discount, but I think it was early in the pandemic and the retailer was looking to clear his inventory. Any discount you receive will likely come with a catch, like a “final sale” or lack of return policy. Since I stumbled on my Sable by playing one, being very impressed, but missing out on the chance to buy it, I knew I wouldn’t want to return it after ordering. So, that risk was very low for me.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:

My frame of reference is using Martin dreadnoughts in jams, song circles, bluegrass ensembles, folk festivals, etc. The Sable is not as loud as my most powerful Authentic D-28 dreadnought, but I would venture to say it is as powerful as a Standard D-28. It should keep up fine. Moreover, leads and single note runs will ring louder then all but the most powerful Martins. Where it will top out is rhythm and strumming. A 15” wide /4.5” deep body can only, realistically, move so much air. Physics is physics. But, mine surprises me when I play it because of how efficiently it pumps out air. Lastly, the sound hole points more of the sound at you, so you will be able to hear yourself at the jam.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:

MF has 8% reward points and occasional 15% off sales that won't work without making a phone call. I have bought RainSongs from MF 15% off and got the reward points too.

McPherson at MF might only be the reward points, but at the moment that is moot as they have no Sables in stock.

You would need to call MF during a sale as unlike AMS/zZounds/SameDayMusic, or Sweetwater, they won't negotiate between sales.

LA Guitar Sales will also do something similar if you call and will also place a custom order too (minor deviations only like pickups and finishes RainSong already offers). I think a CO-WS with no pickup and at LA Guitar Sales usual good price is a better value than a old stock H-WS with the barn door.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-07-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Discounts on McPherson carbon fiber guitars are hard to come by. They are selling well at their asking price. I think the price that they and Emerald are asking for their carbon fiber guitars are fair. I managed to purchase mine at a discount, but I think it was early in the pandemic and the retailer was looking to clear his inventory. Any discount you receive will likely come with a catch, like a “final sale” or lack of return policy. Since I stumbled on my Sable by playing one, being very impressed, but missing out on the chance to buy it, I knew I wouldn’t want to return it after ordering. So, that risk was very low for me.
Good info, thank you! Yes, the numbers do seem fair, if it is more or less "standard" for buyers to save a few dollars, I'd feel foolish if I didn't ask about it. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My frame of reference is using Martin dreadnoughts in jams, song circles, bluegrass ensembles, folk festivals, etc. The Sable is not as loud as my most powerful Authentic D-28 dreadnought, but I would venture to say it is as powerful as a Standard D-28. It should keep up fine. Moreover, leads and single note runs will ring louder then all but the most powerful Martins. Where it will top out is rhythm and strumming. A 15” wide /4.5” deep body can only, realistically, move so much air. Physics is physics. But, mine surprises me when I play it because of how efficiently it pumps out air. Lastly, the sound hole points more of the sound at you, so you will be able to hear yourself at the jam.
Very helpful, thanks! I experience this with my RainSong OM, hoping the Sable will be louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
MF has 8% reward points and occasional 15% off sales that won't work without making a phone call. I have bought RainSongs from MF 15% off and got the reward points too.

McPherson at MF might only be the reward points, but at the moment that is moot as they have no Sables in stock.

You would need to call MF during a sale as unlike AMS/zZounds/SameDayMusic, or Sweetwater, they won't negotiate between sales.

LA Guitar Sales will also do something similar if you call and will also place a custom order too (minor deviations only like pickups and finishes RainSong already offers). I think a CO-WS with no pickup and at LA Guitar Sales usual good price is a better value than a old stock H-WS with the barn door.
Yes, I've found that I've had to call MF to get a good deal, though they recently assigned me a rep that seems willing to negotiate. Haven't tried yet, but as you said, since they don't have any Sables, then it doesn't matter at this point.

I've bought from Ted before. Great guy, always excellent advice; it's where my H-OM came from. I've been looking at the CO, but recall playing one at Guitar Hanger in CT (I think) and didn't care for the tone as much as my H series. I don't recall what it was about it, just that I wasn't inspired to keep playing it. Love the tone of my OM, and the side pickup doesn't bother me, so if I'm going RainSong, then I'm OK with old stock.

Thanks for the detailed and excellent reply!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-07-2020, 08:06 AM

I bought my sable off Reverb....I wasn't even ready to buy one yet but was watching a few on my Reverb watch list which were listed at MAP retail price...Funny thing is one of the retailers sent me a message from the sable I was watching on Reverb and made me an offer I couldn't pass up ….I didn't hesitate to buy at the price he offered.....Don't be afraid to call or message with an offer on Reverb as I was surprised on how much they came down from the MAP pricing...I was even more surprised to find out sellers on Reverb know you are watching their products and can send you offers.
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster

Last edited by ed62; 07-07-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
I bought my sable off Reverb....I wasn't even ready to buy one yet but was watching a few on my Reverb watch list which were listed at MAP retail price...Funny thing is one of the retailers sent me a message from the sable I was watching on Reverb and made me an offer I couldn't pass up ….I didn't hesitate to buy at the price he offered.....Don't be afraid to call or message with an offer on Reverb as I was surprised on how much they came down from the MAP pricing...I was even more surprised to find out sellers on Reverb know you are watching their products and can send you offers.
That makes one wonder who else is watching you watch them.

Congrats on the Sable. They are a very strange instrument because, reading the thread, I learned that these guitars sound BOTH thin and surprisingly full and wood-like. No other guitar can make that claim.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Congrats on the Sable. They are a very strange instrument because, reading the thread, I learned that these guitars sound BOTH thin and surprisingly full and wood-like. No other guitar can make that claim.

Tony
This is very funny! The waters do get muddy. I recall playing a McP CF at Music Zoo on Long Island a while back, but I can't recall if it was the travel size. I remember it had a lovely tone.

Here's where I'm at...and I think it takes the Sable out of the mix, lol, though I added my name to the Watch List for all of them that are available, just in case.

There is a beautiful X30 available from the factory. I am asking if they can retrofit fretboard dots. It may be a silly question, but I don't know if their necks are easily removed and worked on, or if dots have to be done before the neck is totally finished. If they can do that, I'm in. Otherwise I will see what the lead time is for ordering one. I want the horsepower.

After that, I think I'd be happy with the H-WS. My OM is pretty punchy, and I think the WS will be more so. The pricing on this is very fair. These are older models, I know I like the H series, so this wouldn't be a hardship.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Tony
Im doing OK with the full , woodlike but still trying to get that thin sound down a little better...maybe a lighter touch
2005 Gibson Es 335
Old 07-07-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is very funny! The waters do get muddy. I recall playing a McP CF at Music Zoo on Long Island a while back, but I can't recall if it was the travel size. I remember it had a lovely tone.

Here's where I'm at...and I think it takes the Sable out of the mix, lol, though I added my name to the Watch List for all of them that are available, just in case.

There is a beautiful X30 available from the factory. I am asking if they can retrofit fretboard dots. It may be a silly question, but I don't know if their necks are easily removed and worked on, or if dots have to be done before the neck is totally finished. If they can do that, I'm in. Otherwise I will see what the lead time is for ordering one. I want the horsepower.

After that, I think I'd be happy with the H-WS. My OM is pretty punchy, and I think the WS will be more so. The pricing on this is very fair. These are older models, I know I like the H series, so this wouldn't be a hardship.
Also read in a thread around here was the notion that the X30 has a wolf tone that is very bothersome when playing fingerstyle. Since I have never seen one of these, much played one, I can only go by what is said here. The poster(s) discussing the problem are among those whose information I do trust.

I can tell you that I have not experienced such wolf tones from my Sable and that I never play with a pick.

What I don't yet know is whether my Sable would be capable of a loud wolf whistle if I played outside and the usual subjects of such a wolf whistle were to pass by. That would be embarrassing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Also read in a thread around here was the notion that the X30 has a wolf tone that is very bothersome when playing fingerstyle. Since I have never seen one of these, much played one, I can only go by what is said here. The poster(s) discussing the problem are among those whose information I do trust.

I can tell you that I have not experienced such wolf tones from my Sable and that I never play with a pick.

What I don't yet know is whether my Sable would be capable of a loud wolf whistle if I played outside and the usual subjects of such a wolf whistle were to pass by. That would be embarrassing.

Tony
I once experienced strange tones coming from my Emerald harp guitar but it was just the cat rubbing its face on the sub bass strings....sounded more like a sasquatch than a wolf to me
2005 Gibson Es 335

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber