The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2019, 04:27 AM

Default setup

Quick question: Are there any "tricks" effects-wise that I can use to make my sound full, playing acoustic shows? I'm a closet musician about to do my first real gig. (Me and acoustic, maybe throw in my Gretsch or Tele for a few). Tap tempo delay seems popular....I'm a little embarrassed to say I don't really know what that is. I have a boss digital delay, compressor, stupid box (brent mason style tube distortion), chorus, eq, phaser and tuner all on a ridiculously huge pedalboard.

Thanks for any tips. I want to sound as good as I possibly can, but also be as SIMPLE as I possibly can!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Focus on getting a good eq when you first setup. Everything else is flavoring, so you want to add that like you add salt to a soup. The main thing is to play well. I would put more thought into how your hands are affecting your tone than anything else. If you can play well, you’ll sound good on just about any setup.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
Focus on getting a good eq when you first setup. Everything else is flavoring, so you want to add that like you add salt to a soup. The main thing is to play well. I would put more thought into how your hands are affecting your tone than anything else. If you can play well, you’ll sound good on just about any setup.
This is excellent advice. More info from OP might also be helpful. Do you know what type of pickup you're using and what PA or sound system?

I would ignore almost everything on your board. Maybe reverb, maybe compressor, but as already mentioned, EQ and good technique are the most essential, as is a natural sounding pickup. Some people use tap tempo delay well - your boss surely has a tap temp function, but less is best, IMO
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Default hands

Thank you for that advice. I really do want to do as little as possible effects wise. I sit in during a duo's breaks locally, and play 5-8 songs and never even touch anything. EQ sounds good. I know I have a hard time with the 3 band on board...I can't even read it so I have to figure out by sound which is treble, base, volume..
Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
Thank you for that advice. I really do want to do as little as possible effects wise. I sit in during a duo's breaks locally, and play 5-8 songs and never even touch anything. EQ sounds good. I know I have a hard time with the 3 band on board...I can't even read it so I have to figure out by sound which is treble, base, volume..
What guitar do you have?
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM

Default More from op

Give some more context,

I play a Taylor 314ce but I will also have a Gretsch g5420t to do some of my rockier stuff like stones and Creedence. Especially Creedence. I won't use that right away because as I said I've never ever done a solo gig so I'll stick with the Taylor the first couple of shows though maybe I'll sneak the Grinch in on one of the last two or three songs.

I will be using a notepad buy Soundcraft for mixer and either one or two QSC K8 version ones

My setlist, both primary and backup can be found here
www.kenlavoie.com/setlist.html

I hope this information is helpful. I also wear hearing aids!
Old 09-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up

Nice set list dude. We have similar taste.

Have a great gig.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM

Good advice above - get the right straight acoustic tone first - concentrate on your playing. You can always add in a little compression, chorus, flange, delay etc.
With acoustic, a little effects is the key. Good tone first, then add just a bit to vary your tone.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Good advice above - get the right straight acoustic tone first - concentrate on your playing. You can always add in a little compression, chorus, flange, delay etc.
With acoustic, a little effects is the key. Good tone first, then add just a bit to vary your tone.
Let us know how it goes.
+1! Effects can sound great at home but in a live setting can make the guitar sound distant and less immediate to the player. My advice is to play a repertoire with confidence and try to be in the moment by relating to the audience as they'll appreciate being brought along on the journey that the player is weaving.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification