The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

Rick;

My daughter wanted, and got,a destination wedding. It was quite a while before I bought another guitar. Darn those priorities.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

From the little I have read/heard on the subject of weddings these days, they seem to have become VERY expensive, as has a college education and health care, not to mention gas, groceries, insurance, … . No wonder folks are struggling.

The solution is to buy your guitar and ask for forgiveness after the fact. Unreleased GAS can be a scary thing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The solution is to buy your guitar and ask for forgiveness after the fact. Unreleased GAS can be a scary thing.
Now that makes very good medical sense!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Had a number of the old CA instruments (all pre-Peavey). Had at least 5 Cargo's over the years. Had a green one a couple red ones, etc. and only kept a sunburst (or whatever you call that style) gloss version with electronics. Sort of wish I had kept more because for $800 or so they were a hell of a buy. Great little guitars. Also kept a special order GX in the rare woodburst gloss finish, a dread vintage also in a darker brown woodburst, and one of the super rare 12 strings which I think they only made 1 year. It was a special order with no end pin and no electronics, road finish wine colored. Fantastic sounding 12 string that will hold its own against any wood instrument. At this point I will keep them all so my CA collection is small at 4 instruments but probably unique. Never ran into a neck issue on any of them but that may be my unsophisticated touch and ear. Maybe the new ones are better (they certainly cost a lot more) but I can't tell the difference so will just keep the old ones.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've been called by Musician's Friend and Sweetwater in the last week. Business must be slow! I got to chatting with the guy from Sweetwater and I mentioned they stopped carrying CAs. He replied that Peavey is selling off inventory and no longer producing them. Of course he might be mistaken.
No! That is the saddest news! I love my Cargo so much. I take it everywhere and part of its appeal was that if something happened to it, I could get a replacement that would look, sound, and play almost exactly the same.

I'm gonna go hug my guitar now.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Hah! I still have my original three Cargos, all pre-Peavey. Whenever I have even thought that maybe I should sell one or two of them, my wife puts a quick stop to that. Though she doesn't play guitar, these Cargos seem really special to her, as they are to me. There is just something about the Cargo, a vibe that no other guitar has.

Tony
Old 04-29-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

If anyone is interested you can buy this one on reverb

https://reverb.com/item/40088710-com...-carbon-finish

Or if you really want something special

https://reverb.com/item/36444094-com...ustic-serial-1
Old 04-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post

It would be interesting to see what these really end up selling for.

I was shocked at what the prices were after went through a couple of increases and then when Peavey took over, wow! I am sure glad to have gotten all of mine when I did, back when they were around $799.

Tony
Old 04-29-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post

I think that both these asking prices are, um, more than a tad ambitious.

Also, while I’m not familiar with CA’s history, the so-called ‘first CA guitar’ is stated to have been made in Meridian, MS. That would make it a Peavey CA, wouldn’t it? So, not really the first CA at all.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-29-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I think that both these asking prices are, um, more than a tad ambitious.

Also, while I’m not familiar with CA’s history, the so-called ‘first CA guitar’ is stated to have been made in Meridian, MS. That would make it a Peavey CA, wouldn’t it? So, not really the first CA at all.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
In the words of the philospher Billy Joel: "You may be right." I may be crazy, but that's beside the point. A sailing buddy from Louisiana worked at Composite Acoustics early on... in Louisiana. That "first" guitar in the ad looks pretty refined for an actual CA first. I'm guessing you're on to 'em.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureStar View Post
No! That is the saddest news! I love my Cargo so much. I take it everywhere and part of its appeal was that if something happened to it, I could get a replacement that would look, sound, and play almost exactly the same.

I'm gonna go hug my guitar now.
Yeah, I'll have to take extra special care of my GX now.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve owned an early ‘08 Cargo (Charcoal, Road Tough finish) since new. Paid $750 for it. No issues. Love the l’il bugger. It’s not going anywhere...except on trips with me.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve owned an early ‘08 Cargo (Charcoal, Road Tough finish) since new. Paid $750 for it. No issues. Love the l’il bugger. It’s not going anywhere...except on trips with me.
$750 sounds about right. I don't know why I had $799 stuck in my mind. Anyway, we really should hang onto these Cargos. Even with the constant evolution of the CF market, these guitars are special.

Tony
Old 04-30-2021, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
$750 sounds about right. I don't know why I had $799 stuck in my mind. Anyway, we really should hang onto these Cargos. Even with the constant evolution of the CF market, these guitars are special.

Tony
If it’s any consolation, Tony, I also had $799 embedded as the price of the Cargo - largely because I grappled with that number all the way home from trying one at the Podium all those years ago.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
If it’s any consolation, Tony, I also had $799 embedded as the price of the Cargo - largely because I grappled with that number all the way home from trying one at the Podium all those years ago.
The Podium was a great place to buy CA Guitars instruments because Marty checked them out and would send the problematic ones back. That is why, when I have read about issues with these instruments over the years, I am so glad that The Podium was around doing their due diligence on behalf of potential customers.

As for price, I recall that the Cargo was less than $800, but couldn't remember just how much less for sure. I always got a good deal from The Podium. There were a couple of times over the years that I thought The Podium might disappear, but when Jeff took the helm, it was better than ever until he retired. I moved to the Twin Cities in 1978 and The Podium had always been my favorite music store. I really do miss those guys and the Dinkytown location.

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber