The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Peavey to Release Composite Acoustics at NAMM

I just spoke to one of the technicians at Peavey, and they are set to release the CA guitars at NAMM. He said that Peavey did find defects in the original guitars, which they corrected:

1. Neck pitch
2. problem with saddle

He said he does not expect them to raise the prices on these and that they are building them now. Guitar Center, of course, will stock them.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM

I think this is good news. We'll have to see how well they are put together when they ship.

I am encouraged. It would be a real shame to see the product disappear.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Cool, Lisa!

Thanks, Glenn
Old 11-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I just spoke to one of the technicians at Peavey, and they are set to release the CA guitars at NAMM. He said that Peavey did find defects in the original guitars, which they corrected:

1. Neck pitch
2. problem with saddle

<snip>

Yeah, well, I guess someone there understands something about guitars.

Good deal.

I'll look forward to seeing the reality of these corrections on the new Cargo...

...although adding a truss rod would have been nice...but I can be patient...not long to wait, now.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:

1. Neck pitch
2. problem with saddle

He said he does not expect them to raise the prices on these and that they are building them now. Guitar Center, of course, will stock them.

So is Peavey saying all Composite Acoustics guitars had these two defects? I'm somewhat skeptical given the raving reviews for the original Composite Acoustics guitars and the fan base. Such remarks seem to be too general to apply to "all" of the original CA guitars that were manufactured. Such broad statements potentially could be a marketing strategy as a way attempt to differentiate the new CA guitars from the original ones.

I'd be interested to hear from any CA owners whether you discovered "defects" with the neck pitch of your CA guitar or saddle.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezenof View Post
So is Peavey saying all Composite Acoustics guitars had these two defects? I'm somewhat skeptical given the raving reviews for the original Composite Acoustics guitars and the fan base. Such remarks seem to be too general to apply to "all" of the original CA guitars that were manufactured. Such broad statements potentially could be a marketing strategy as a way attempt to differentiate the new CA guitars from the original ones.

I'd be interested to hear from any CA owners whether you discovered "defects" with the neck pitch of your CA guitar or saddle.
Well put Steve.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Humanist

Too much fun here for me.

...and perhaps Lisa will step in to clarify or expand upon her brief, non-directed comments.

Either the Cargo will be improved, or not.

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-25-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM

I wonder if that statement was aimed at the Cargo specifically, or all of their guitars. I know my six year old Legacy has no problems with neck pitch or its saddle. (Of course, this guitar was from the first incarnation of the factory, before they reorganized and brought out the Cargo.)
Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezenof View Post

I'm a CA owner who will testify that of the many instruments I looked at, only a couple had reasonable neck angle/saddle height geometry. I enjoyed mine so much that I looked avidly for a second one and was unable to find the model I preferred with reasonable geometry.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I'm a CA owner who will testify that of the many instruments I looked at, only a couple had reasonable neck angle/saddle height geometry. I enjoyed mine so much that I looked avidly for a second one and was unable to find the model I preferred with reasonable geometry.

Fran

That, of course, was my experience. Putting medium gauge strings on the Cargo then only made things worse.

I also had a few retail shops on the lookout for any Cargo instruments that had a reasonable chance (IMO) of a proper set-up...and this proved pretty much futile.

My experience.

Of course, the CA folks gave me their own production specs for the Cargo, and these were basically unacceptable to me. Their main production manager (Steve Murray) came from GM (from what I understand), and not the guitar industry...so this did not surprise me.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 PM

if they take care of these problems I would still like to see a truss rod. One of the reasons I sold my CA and went back to a Taylor.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 AM

CA must have given all the good ones to Tarpman cause my Legacy from there was perfect. Peavey probably would like to sell some guitars and no reason not to promote their version. My gut is my Tobacco burst Legacy will still be one of my teasures.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-26-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Fran
I've owned quite a few CA's, (6 or 7) and noticed the same thing. I had to send 3 of them back for this issue. (two Cargos and one GXi) The earlier ones were spot on, but I think they had problems with slight changes in tolerances as production went on, and it just got progressively worse over the following years.

Jim Cannon (AKA Trader Jim) <><
Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Don't shoot the messenger! I am only repeating verbatim what the tech told me! He told me these were issues that Peavey discovered and wanted to correct before they realeased it. They seem to be a stand up company who want to listen to customers and put a good product out there. He said if anyone has any input in regards to any changes, like a longer scale or putting a truss rod in, to definitely email them, as the development team listens and will respond.

I am really sorry folks that my comments were takens as a "general" statement. I only posted exactly what the tech told me.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger! I am only repeating verbatim what the tech told me! He told me these were issues that Peavey discovered and wanted to correct before they realeased it. They seem to be a stand up company who want to listen to customers and put a good product out there. He said if anyone has any input in regards to any changes, like a longer scale or putting a truss rod in, to definitely email them, as the development team listens and will respond.

I am really sorry folks that my comments were takens as a "general" statement. I only posted exactly what the tech told me.

No problems, Lisa...I was just wondering if the tech you spoke with was referring to Cargo, or other guitars as well. My only experience with the CA product was in the Cargo world.

Either way, I find it pretty amusing that "defenders of the flame" for the Cargo would try to spin this as a marketing ploy.

The Cargo sold well. Some folks did not find a problem with it's geometry and other issues that we have covered in great detail elsewhere on the AGF. Others of us found significant, repetitive problems...with guitar after guitar after guitar.

In my case, this was verified by retailers both of whom acknowledged the problem, and were on the lookout for me if any Cargos came in outside of the usual specs that they were being delivered with.

Those of us that found these problems (which rendered those guitars unacceptable to us) hope they are addressed. I too would hold out some hope for a truss rod, but i won't hold my breath.

If the neck angle and neck/body joint issues are fully corrected then I too might eventually become a Cargo owner.

Please try to not hold this against me...

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber