The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-07-2022, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

"As far as transferring to a new computer it's basically a matter of getting an applicable cable/and or adaptors to connect the two. As far as applications the one issue maybe that yours are likely all 32 bit apps and the the new computer will be 64 bit.....so you may have to download updated apps"

You *can* do a Thunderbolt Bridge if both have TB connections and it's amazingly fast, but when I did that with Migration Assistant, nothing, and I mean nothing worked. Neither of my Apollo's was recognized. None of my plug-ins worked. I spent a week troubleshooting and ended up using the new, or at least new to me, Wipe Data command, which wipes everything but the OS. Very convenient. And then reinstalled fresh copies of only the apps I really needed - Logic, Console, Genelec GLM, Word and maybe a couple of others along with fresh installs of all my non UAD plug-ins. The UAD ones were automatic with the re-install of. Console. After I did all that everything has been running flawlessly.

I'm not saying don't use M/A to pull from your old Mac, but don't be surprised if nothing works. Just saying...
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-08-2022, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So Cable out via USB of my old computer to New computer Thunderbolt or USB in?
I know we have to see what comes out next month, But What will be the determining factors of why you will buy a 24 or 27 Imac?
And what is important to you as far as the different options they offer between the same size models? Memory and such.
The cabling/and or adaptors will depend on what specific types of output connections your old computer and new computer have ... But yes ,,, USB type A is one of the most common connections on most older and even many current computers.
So you could likely just get a male USB A, to male USB A cable If the new computer has any USB A inputs
OR as you mentioned
I used one like this to get from my 2013 MB Air (USB A out) to my new 14 " M1 Pro MBP (USB C -TB 3/4 in)
Because USB C and TB 3 and 4 are interchangeable connections
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Braid...167843317&th=1

As for my preference if I had not gotten a new 27" intel iMac as (per my sig line) I would wait to see what the forthcoming 27 " models will offer ???

While the 24" iMac with the M1 chip is very capable to run most of the kinds of Audio projects that most home and even a fair number smaller pro/project type studios would require ,,,, IMO it is lacking in the connection options I like to see (Albeit that could addressed with the connection Hub options now available ) It's just not as clean visually as connections on the computer

Also when I run more than just a few audio tracks, a few being say 3-6 ,,,I personally like more screen real estate. In fact when I got the new iMac... I was able to still use the my older (2010) 27" Apple Cinema display (with an adaptor for the out cable) and now after 17 years of one display I have two 27" displays

So for me personally it would be a 27 inch iMac (BUT understand that is a personal preference, not any particular logistical or performance necessity by any means) Literally millions of audio projects (some fairly large and complex) are recorded and mixed on laptops probably everyday.

As far as different options in the same size model I tend to decide how much I I am willing to budget and shop from there
That said if in fact the forthcoming 27" iMac's offer the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips (which are both going to be extremely capable for audio production) the determining factor for me would how much video work I am anticipating doing in say the next 3-5 years If mostly audio I would probably opt for the M1 Pro Chip .But lets say if at least 1/2 of my projects were going to be music video's ? I would seriously consider the M1 Max (if I was willing to spend the extra money) Even for video work Either is going to work fine, just that the Max will be faster loading and rendering .

here is my current system the 27" inch iMac is on the right the 27" Cinema Display on the left. Note the mixer window and edit windows are each on their own display Mixer is on the iMac and the Edit is on the Cinema

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-08-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
+ What is the procedure when I do get a new computer...for transferring Programs from one computer to another? Do I have to contact the program company and deactivate the old program and then re install on the new? Or do I just download from my old to the new computer ?
You can use Apple's migration assistant to move things from your old computer to the new one, but it's probably best to only move over your own documents and data (not applications or system files (except when you should**). Use of the Migration Assistant requires TB to TB, firewire to TB, wi-fi or ethernet connectivity. USB won't work, at least according to Apple.

** Some plugin makers default to placing certain files in various system folders (e.g., root library/audio/presets, user library/application support/[Plugin Developer] (among several others)) and they can be in different locations depending on the plugin maker. This is where many of the user created plugin presets will be located, so you want to make sure they get moved over to the new machine. The same goes for certain software for your peripheral hardware (e.g., settings files for your interface and printer).

Do fresh installs on the new machine for all third party applications and plugins and any control software or drivers for your recording interface and printer. Do this before you do the migration assistant (this way the applications, plugins and peripheral device software will already be on the machine and the various folders in which things are stored will have already been placed onto the new machine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD