The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Amazing number of experts who can better assess a guitar based on a couple pics over the evaluation of a luthier who actually has the guitar in hand and has played it. Reminds me of getting medical advice over the internet - everything’s cancer!
So everyone who proclaims themselves a ‘luthier’ is beyond reproach. Good to know.

Quote:
I’m gonna go the other direction, and if you’ve used this luthier and like/trust their work, and you really like the guitar, and think the price is fair, just enjoy your guitar. The issues noted are easily dealt with, and certainly not irreversible.
Now that seems entirely reasonable. I still think the frets look awful, though.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-08-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
So everyone who proclaims themselves a ‘luthier’ is beyond reproach. Good to know.
That's why I decline the title of luthier. I'm just a guy who builds some guitars.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Amazing number of experts who can better assess a guitar based on a couple pics over the evaluation of a luthier who actually has the guitar in hand and has played it. Reminds me of getting medical advice over the internet - everything’s cancer!

I’m gonna go the other direction, and if you’ve used this luthier and like/trust their work, and you really like the guitar, and think the price is fair, just enjoy your guitar. The issues noted are easily dealt with, and certainly not irreversible.

But if you have any concerns at all that are gonna keep you from enjoying it, then send it back and put it all behind you.

Whatever - just move on, and don’t make too many assumptions about the intentions or efforts of others -

Thanks for your reply, I knew what I was getting in to when I made this post but was curious to hear some opinions.

I ended up getting two professional opinions, both from Luthiers that I trust and have used for the last 10 years. Both ended up being pretty similar... the guitar really just needed a new nut and some setup work... it was a dead end trying to see if this guitar shipped like this in 2014 and ended up not being worth finding out.

I ended up deciding to return, for a few reasons... funny enough it came down to the fact that I have a Blueridge BR-140A that I absolutely love and it's more comfortable to play, and sounds close in tone and clarity as the Bourgeois.

To each their own I suppose... this has been a 2 year search for me, and after finding the guitar, turns out it wasn't worth it for me.

Thanks for all of the comments and interest

CG
Old 01-10-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabbag View Post
I ended up deciding to return, for a few reasons... funny enough it came down to the fact that I have a Blueridge BR-140A that I absolutely love and it's more comfortable to play, and sounds close in tone and clarity as the Bourgeois.

Thanks for all of the comments and interest

CG
I have a Blueridge BR140CE that sounds and plays excellent. I understand why you're happy with yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair