The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2021, 12:50 AM

Default LR Baggs M1 or K&K for Yamaha FG5?

I just managed to source a new Yamaha FG5 here in Australia after a a lot of searching [and a bit of drama] and will need to use it in my live work. The FG5X has not been seen in Australia for quite a long time so I grabbed this as soon as I found it. I am mainly a singer using guitar for accompanyment and am a reasonably skilled player, though not a soloist by any stretch. Researching I have narrowed down to 2 possible choices, the K&K which I am very familiar with, and the LR Baggs M1. The M80 appears to be too sensitive for my purposes, though it could mean I could do away with the need for the LR Baggs Venue on my board.. I am interested to hear from players who might have the FG5, if possible, for experiences and opinions. Cheers

My Takamine EF360S-TT seems to get along OK with the Venue but it might be overkill - not sure yet.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 12-23-2021 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:05 AM

I'm interested in what you mean by, "too sensitive", can you expand?

The M1 is a very different beast than the K&K but they are both good examples of their type. If you're familiar with the sounds of both of them then it's really a style/practicality choice on your part first and foremost.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:53 AM

They're entirely different. The Baggs M1 and M80 basically give you an "acoustic-sounding electric guitar" and to me they sound best through a guitar amp. And you'll play with an electric guitar touch. The K&K is much closer to an approximation of an acoustic guitar, and you'll play like it's an acoustic.

Couch Standards
Old 12-23-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm interested in what you mean by, "too sensitive", can you expand?

The M1 is a very different beast than the K&K but they are both good examples of their type. If you're familiar with the sounds of both of them then it's really a style/practicality choice on your part first and foremost.
I have read such comments about the M80 from users who found that it was too sensitive, picking up the sound from everything that touches the guitar - shirt sleeves and buttons, hand touchs , anything. I have used K&Ks on ther own for probably 20 years and I have been very pleased by the over all sound though in my experience they do need an external preamp.

I like the sounds made by the M1 and M80 as well and they have the possible advantage of a hotter signal than the passive K&Ks. I have listened to demos of both LR Baggs and like what I hear.

I appreciate a guitar that sounds great on stage but in my case the guitar is there mainly to support my singing with an occasional flourish to keep interest.

I currently have no guitars with K&K and my other new stage guitar is a Takamine EF360S-TT with 'TLD-2' line driver preamp, so another way to look at the issue would be to use something which approximately matches the output of the Takamine. I am not sure how such comparisons would look.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 12-23-2021, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

What kind of gig, Solo Acoustic, band or both?

This does not address the OP’s question directly but FWIW and IMHO

Regardless of what acoustic guitar, I never connected with a sound hole pick up including the M1. It’s as far away from an acoustic sound as any pick up can get.If that’s what you want then go for it. Having a (mic) blend can help it sound more acoustic-like

The K&K mini can sound more natural. But The K&K dual source, mini and mic can get you way closer to your guitar only louder. For loud band driven gigs it might not be the best set up due to feedback, but I never had feedback issues at a reasonable volume

I always found LR Baggs Anthem the ultimate plug and play set up. Some folks, on some guitars say they notice a difference Acoustically, due to the under-saddle Element pick up, but most (not all) say it does sound great plugged in.

I have both K&K dual source and the Anthem pick ups in guitars. Both sound great but my preference is for the Anthem. It has a full spectrum sound that is just slightly larger then life, where as the K&K is more of “your guitar only louder” (with as much mic dialed in as the system can take before feed back)

I did experience some acoustic change with the Anthem on one guitar, out of three.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 12-23-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I have switched all of my gigging guitars from K&K/JJB pickups to Baggs M1 pickups. The K&K/JJB pickups do sound very acoustic and do well in low to medium volume situations, but in my experience they do not like being pushed to louder volumes. I found that if I was playing to a large room or outdoor venue and needed a lot of volume I got a very loud and unpleasant "thump" every time my hand touched the bridge. I palm mute a lot so this wasn't something very fun to deal with. An M1 will still sound very acoustic and you won't have any issues with top noise or feedback in louder volume gigs.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-23-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
What kind of gig, Solo Acoustic, band or both?

I generally play solo acoustic - 2 or three sets.
I do like to mix things up a little for variety and always carry one or 2 six strings plus my 12.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 12-23-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
They're entirely different. The Baggs M1 and M80 basically give you an "acoustic-sounding electric guitar" and to me they sound best through a guitar amp. And you'll play with an electric guitar touch.
Thank you for your comment. As a solo performer I ceased carrying amps a while ago and even my electric is played through my pedal board into my PA, a pair of QSC K8.2s plus occasionally a BOSE sub which doubles as a mixer table.
Just to much gear to carrry! [subject to a case of GAS of course.]

I suppose this makes me less than a purist on all fronts, but I will be content
with what ever system I use so long as the end result sounds good in the mix.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 12-23-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Agree with Mick on the M1. It gives you lots of gain, with no feedback, for me it needs a low cut at 80Hz, but it sounds good. FWIW, I see u have an S1, I use mine with an S1 or a Fishman Artist.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-23-2021, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I’m with Joe.

M1 passive especially if you have the Venue.

The M1 in my D15 with a Venue was probably my best live sound.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:29 AM

Default K&K + M1 combined?

I have read a couple of threads in other forums where players have installed both the K&K with the M1 using the output jack from the K&K. I am intrigued by the possibility of using the volume control on the M1 effectively as a blend control for the 2. Any experiences or thoughts about this?

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 12-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrand View Post
I just managed to source a new Yamaha FG5 here in Australia after a a lot of searching [and a bit of drama] and will need to use it in my live work. The FG5X has not been seen in Australia for quite a long time so I grabbed this as soon as I found it. I am mainly a singer using guitar for accompanyment and am a reasonably skilled player, though not a soloist by any stretch. Researching I have narrowed down to 2 possible choices, the K&K which I am very familiar with, and the LR Baggs M1. The M80 appears to be too sensitive for my purposes, though it could mean I could do away with the need for the LR Baggs Venue on my board.. I am interested to hear from players who might have the FG5, if possible, for experiences and opinions. Cheers

My Takamine EF360S-TT seems to get along OK with the Venue but it might be overkill - not sure yet.
I'd go with your Takamine EF360S-TT as it's already a good system. When you say overkill, I'm not sure what you mean as the guitar can be adjusted for Volume and Tone via an outboard preamp/mixer/amp to match whatever song you're singing. The TLD-2 and the 360S dreadnought body aren't bad either for rejecting feedback at moderate playing levels.

If you're really set on using your new Yamaha FG5 with some kind of pickup system, either a K & K or the LR BAGGS M-1, and want to keep your amplified tone as acoustic-sounding as possible with good feedback rejection, then I'd choose the Ultra Tonic Pickup Version 3, currently on sale thru December 31, 2021 for USD $199 with USD $38 Flat Rate Shipping to Australia.

Ultra Tonic™ Pickup Version 3

On sale now thru Dec 31, 2021!
Purchase direct with Paypal
Free expedited shipping in the USA
$38 flat rate shipping charge to Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mexico, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, South Africa, Japan

There's also an Australian dealer but you may not get the discounted price:

Australia
Charles Cilia Custom Guitars
29/25 Alfred Rd. Chipping Norton NSW 2170, Australia
CiliaGuitars.com
[email protected]
(02) 9726 6271
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-29-2021, 02:46 PM

I AM MOVING THIS TO A NEW TOPIC TO AVOID CONFUSION.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 12-29-2021 at 03:44 PM. Reason: New thread needed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification