The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2021, 09:20 AM

Default New Guitar - what say you pickup people?

I already consulted two of my AGF buddies privately, so I will put the question to all of you. After selling most of my guitars in 2020 to pay legal bills, my wife treated me to an early Christmas present: a custom Martin D-28 from Reno's! It's the same build as my D-28 Marquis, but with the MLO neck. Huzzah.

You all know I like K&K and have been using them successfully with the SunnAudio preamp and the ToneDexter.

So, what are the new flavors of pickup delight in 2021? Extra credit for sound board transducers or anything lightweight without an under saddle.

Happy Thanksgiving AGF!
Old 11-25-2021, 09:25 AM

IMHO, the Dazzo's pair perfectly with the Sunnaudio stuff. It's exactly what you seek. Call Dazzo and see which one's he think will work for your guitar. I've got 70's in mine, but it's an OM.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:10 AM

I'm in the "Don't mess with success" camp. I'm firmly entrenched with K&K Pure Minis.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Ultra Tonic

I'm a K&K guy that has entered the James May Ultra Tonic camp. Did the Ultra Tonic conversion on a K&K equipped OM-21 & was immediately impressed! Better in every way.

http://jamesmayengineering.com

I'm having an old D-18's large rosewood bridgeplate removed & replaced with a small maple one &, while I'm at it, replacing the K&K that was installed with an Ultra Tonic V3. Yes, I'm a believer!

Frank
Old 11-25-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
I'm a K&K guy that has entered the James May Ultra Tonic camp. Did the Ultra Tonic conversion on a K&K equipped OM-21 & was immediately impressed! Better in every way.

http://jamesmayengineering.com

I'm having an old D-18's large rosewood bridgeplate removed & replaced with a small maple one &, while I'm at it, replacing the K&K that was installed with an Ultra Tonic V3. Yes, I'm a believer!

Frank

Thanks for the input frank. That’s on my list for sure. I like the new design with the single piezo and smart design of the volume control.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
IMHO, the Dazzo's pair perfectly with the Sunnaudio stuff. It's exactly what you seek. Call Dazzo and see which one's he think will work for your guitar. I've got 70's in mine, but it's an OM.

Dazzo is high on the list for sure.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm in the "Don't mess with success" camp. I'm firmly entrenched with K&K Pure Minis.
This had previously been my conclusion each of the last several times I had to chose a pickup. Curious to see what others think. But don’t mess with success are worlds to live by.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I have to say Dazzo... compared to either the Anthem SL system or the K&K, it's just in another class altogether. Had the Anthems in both my stage guitars for a decade; had the K&K in my Goodall GC for nearly a decade... didn't gig with the K&K much, but I never found a "great" setting for tone with that... tried a bunch of stuff to get there, too (not a SunnAudio, however!), but other than a vaguely acoustic tone, I never heard that pickup sound really good...

Had Dazzos put in both my current guitars, 6 string Goodall Concert Jumbo and Mark Angus F-40 12 string, and I was just knocked out by the tone and natural sound coming from them... through my Bose L1 Model II (T1 mixer), I just set it to overall "flat", with ZERO EQ (!) and those Dazzos sound marvelous!

Hardest part of the install was getting the superglue off the bridgeplate from the previous K&K pickup! THAT was harrowing for Vancebo (he generously did the install for me) and I didn't like having to actually "sand" the bridgeplate a bit to get most of the superglue off...

In contrast, after installing the Dazzos (6 minute epoxy), I was very pleased with the result, but Teddy Rondazzo came for a visit and thought he could get a better sound from it... so he removed the pickup and re-installed it, really without issue. He had to use some sort of solvent to remove the epoxy, but it was not big deal...

One thing I would say would be to work closely with Teddy regarding the choice/number for the pickup and the install process. It's a bit involved, but you really only have to do it once... I don't suspect that I will find a reason to pull either set of Dazzos out of either guitar... they are just THAT good!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-25-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm of the Aura VT camp

You can't get a better plugged in tone.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm in the don't mess with success camp which is why I have six guitars with Dazzos. But you only need one SunnAudio pre.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-25-2021, 07:30 PM

I'd say Dazzo, but there is some front-end work getting it to sound optimal and there are some who don't get satisfaction with it.

Since you like K+K, the Ultratonic is a no-brainer. Like you mentioned, the volume control was done well.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-25-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have to say Dazzo... compared to either the Anthem SL system or the K&K, it's just in another class altogether. Had the Anthems in both my stage guitars for a decade; had the K&K in my Goodall GC for nearly a decade... didn't gig with the K&K much, but I never found a "great" setting for tone with that... tried a bunch of stuff to get there, too (not a SunnAudio, however!), but other than a vaguely acoustic tone, I never heard that pickup sound really good...

Had Dazzos put in both my current guitars, 6 string Goodall Concert Jumbo and Mark Angus F-40 12 string, and I was just knocked out by the tone and natural sound coming from them... through my Bose L1 Model II (T1 mixer), I just set it to overall "flat", with ZERO EQ (!) and those Dazzos sound marvelous!

Hardest part of the install was getting the superglue off the bridgeplate from the previous K&K pickup! THAT was harrowing for Vancebo (he generously did the install for me) and I didn't like having to actually "sand" the bridgeplate a bit to get most of the superglue off...

In contrast, after installing the Dazzos (6 minute epoxy), I was very pleased with the result, but Teddy Rondazzo came for a visit and thought he could get a better sound from it... so he removed the pickup and re-installed it, really without issue. He had to use some sort of solvent to remove the epoxy, but it was not big deal...

One thing I would say would be to work closely with Teddy regarding the choice/number for the pickup and the install process. It's a bit involved, but you really only have to do it once... I don't suspect that I will find a reason to pull either set of Dazzos out of either guitar... they are just THAT good!

I’d like to get Dazzos put in my D-18. How do I work with Teddy to get the best possible install, when logistically, we’re a long ways apart?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I already consulted two of my AGF buddies privately, so I will put the question to all of you. After selling most of my guitars in 2020 to pay legal bills, my wife treated me to an early Christmas present: a custom Martin D-28 from Reno's! It's the same build as my D-28 Marquis, but with the MLO neck. Huzzah.

You all know I like K&K and have been using them successfully with the SunnAudio preamp and the ToneDexter.

So, what are the new flavors of pickup delight in 2021? Extra credit for sound board transducers or anything lightweight without an under saddle.

Happy Thanksgiving AGF!

Just got my (used) 2006 Martin 000-28EC second hand shop find back the other week - full setup PLUS K&K Trinity Solo (K&K with internal mic) runs to outdoor K&K Trinity Pro preamp I already own and love.

Sensational!

Can play it:

Acoustically.
K&K only with mono cable out.
K&K only mono cable to Tonedexter.
K&K Trinity with mic on full and in ear monitors/headphones, no amps - with stereo cable to a preamp/DI ( which happens to be currently.....ha ha ...the Tonedexter!

BluesKing777.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Just got my (used) 2006 Martin 000-28EC second hand shop find back the other week - full setup PLUS K&K Trinity Solo (K&K with internal mic) runs to outdoor K&K Trinity Pro preamp I already own and love.

Sensational!

Can play it:

Acoustically.
K&K only with mono cable out.
K&K only mono cable to Tonedexter.
K&K Trinity with mic on full and in ear monitors/headphones, no amps - with stereo cable to a preamp/DI ( which happens to be currently.....ha ha ...the Tonedexter!

BluesKing777.

I haven’t tried that one with the internal mic. That’s a good suggestion. I know a number of players with that setup.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
I’d like to get Dazzos put in my D-18. How do I work with Teddy to get the best possible install, when logistically, we’re a long ways apart?
Call him up. He may have worked with a tech in your area already, or can talk you through it, or work with any tech of your choice. Just don't have a tech who thinks he'll use tape or glue that is not what Teddy says. I know a top shop who won't use the epoxy, so customers don't get full value with their pickups.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification