The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2021, 11:09 AM

Default My Gretsch 5420 Debut I

Old 08-29-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Debut II

Old 08-30-2021, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Very nice. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome! Thank you for watching!!!
Old 08-30-2021, 06:48 AM

Congrats, good lookin' Gretsch!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-30-2021, 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your new guitar! You seem to like it and that's good!
Old 08-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Congratulations on your new guitar! You seem to like it and that's good!

Yep, I do!
Old 08-30-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this! It's nice to see you enjoying your new guitar and getting to know it. As you said earlier, one thing to focus on is learning how the controls effect the sound. You would be surprised at just how much the volume knob effects tone. Since the volume effects how much "juice" the amp received, playing with the volume can have a huge impact. Many people like to turn the guitar volume up then control the loudness through the amp.

You have probably figured this out already, but there is one tone control and three volume controls on a Gretsch. The forward volume controls the overall output and the two upper knobs control the volume of each pickup.

Playing fingerstyle is awesome and I have much respect for it. Mark Knopfler and JJ Cale both do/did it extensively and I love their music.

I guess the main thing is to just enjoy yourself and do what you like to do! I enjoyed your video!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks for posting this! It's nice to see you enjoying your new guitar and getting to know it. As you said earlier, one thing to focus on is learning how the controls effect the sound. You would be surprised at just how much the volume knob effects tone. Since the volume effects how much "juice" the amp received, playing with the volume can have a huge impact. Many people like to turn the guitar volume up then control the loudness through the amp.

You have probably figured this out already, but there is one tone control and three volume controls on a Gretsch. The forward volume controls the overall output and the two upper knobs control the volume of each pickup.

Playing fingerstyle is awesome and I have much respect for it. Mark Knopfler and JJ Cale both do/did it extensively and I love their music.

I guess the main thing is to just enjoy yourself and do what you like to do! I enjoyed your video!
First, thank you!

Second, the knobs and the switch do throw me a curve- the Gretsch website PDF only shows the guitar with 2 switches - mine has only 1.
I was under the impression to not use a lot of guitar volume and to rely more on the amp, which is the way I did the 2nd video- I played with it today and cranked some reverb into it through the Bugera v5 amp and turned the volume down a bit on the amp and got bit of that Gretsch twang

Then- trying to remember which setting to play with which song
Then, trying to write as well

HOLY SMOKE!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars