The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM

For the price of a professional setup (typically 40-60 $), why not get it just right so that you can begin enjoying the guitar now. Then you can take your time learning to alter saddle height on a saddle blank.

The action on my Journey was high, so I immediately got it set up. That meant everything could be addressed at once. Remember, it is also possible that a fret or two may need filing when the guitar is set for low action. Pretty common scenario.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM

I took the OF660 to an independent luthier. He said it could be set up to address my concerns so I'm keeping it and having him set it up. In his quick look when I dropped it off, he thought the nut was high and found a high fret. He said he would be doing the frets, nut, saddle, and truss rod - in that sequence (I believe).

First impression of the guy is good. And he has good reviews on Google.

I would like to learn how to do this work myself, but the luthier has special files, a curved radius sanding block for the frets, some measuring devices, and a lot of tools I don't have. Not to mention years of experience.

I'll let you know in a week or so how it turns out. Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Has anyone directly compared the CA Cargo and the Journey Overhead? I'd love to hear people's experiences.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 03-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Is there a list of OF660 changes and dates anywhere? I am aware that the soundhole moved at some point, and the headstock logo changed as well. Anyone know of changes in bracing, body or top construction, tuners, or anything else?

Did the soundhole move change the guitar's sound?

I am looking at buying a used or new old stock guitar and want to know if new ones are better or worse than 2018 or 2017 or ???
Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 PM

I got my OF660 back from the luthier on Friday. He leveled the frets. Apparently, some were pretty high. He also lowered the saddle and the nut. The action is now low and it's much easier to play. However, I've found that I need to adjust my playing style to use a lighter touch. I can still get the guitar frets to buzz of the bass strings, if I'm hitting the alternating bass in my customary manner, but it's easy to avoid this by using a bit lighter touch. (Maybe not the best guitar for Charlie Patton string snapping.) The barre chords I wanted to play are no longer requiring a lot of pressure, which was my goal. What I've learned, I think, is that if one wants to play in two different guitar styles, then maybe one should have two guitars each with a different level of action. I think I've also learned that the Journey needs a professional set up. I didn't really expect this with a guitar in this price range. I have not bought very many guitars in my life so I guess I was a bit naive. Anyway, I enjoyed playing it over the weekend and I plan to test it's traveling properties on a vacation to the Caribbean in a few days.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I get a little buzz if I really dig in using a thumbpick while tuning the low E down to D. Even Tommy Emmanuel runs his action so low that he gets buzz. He just embraces it and incorporates it into his sound. The OF660 is an inspiration to play, just wish the neck and neck joint wasn't so heavy. I purchased a padded suede strap and that was a good move- it keeps it at the angle I like to play it.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Here is a great review for both the carbon fiber curious and fans of the OF660. The CF kills the wooden guitar IMO! No contest

Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Here is a great review for both the carbon fiber curious and fans of the OF660. The CF kills the wooden guitar IMO! No contest
Nice video review. I could pick out which was which, definitely prefer the CF, but they both sound good. The reviewer points out the thing that truly separates CF from wood: the ability to contour the edges of the guitar and build in bevels to make it a comfortable playing experience. Tone is subjective, and I agree with this guy that that CF has its own great tone. Seems that CF is overcoming the resistance that some players have about a non-wood option.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Now that I've played my Journey for two weeks and had a chance to travel with it on a flight, I can say I'm very happy with it. I'm liking playing it a lot! Seems like a really great guitar on it's own without regard to its portability.

I changed the strings on my Eastman (conventional wood) acoustic yesterday and noticed some wear on a couple of frets. The first and second frets of the high E and B strings have grooves worn in them by the strings. Thinking about how to address this problem with a wood guitar made me wonder how the problem is addressed with a carbon fiber guitar. I assume that the frets can either be sanded down or replaced on a wood guitar. Sanding is, of course, an option on a carbon fiber guitar.

Is it possible to replace frets on a carbon fiber guitar? Assuming it's possible, how easy is it?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello View Post
Is it possible to replace frets on a carbon fiber guitar? Assuming it's possible, how easy is it?
So glad to hear you are liking your OF660 Othello

Word is that re-frets can be done on a CF just as easily if not easier than on a wood guitar. On wooden fretboards the fret tangs can pull bits of wood out with them when stripping them from ebony, rosewood....

CF won't do that, and yes the fretboard can be sanded and polished after the job. I know that is true because although I've not done a re-fret, I have done a custom inlay job on my OF660 and needed to do some filing/ sanding/ polishing when finishing (pictures of that job on on page 4 of this thread)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Well I ordered a blem OF660 direct from Journey last week and it arrived today. The main blem damage is a scratch through the gel coat near the pickup jack. There are two other minor defects, but it is a nice guitar from a playing and sound perspective.

Hats off to James Brawner at Journey for quick replys to my initial inquiry and follow up emails. My buying experience was excellant.

A bit quiet as an acoustic compared to my Martin HD28 and my Santa Cruz Style 1, but I can live with that. Quiet isn't a bad default for a travel instrument, and it can always be amplifedif needed. I tested it amplifed using a QSC CP8 with a Beringer ADI 21 it sounds great. I play a mix of fingerstyle and flatpicking and it did well for both styles.

It came with some well played strings and the lower height saddle installed. Replaced the strings with a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights that I had lying around and I agree with other posters that they sound very good on the OF660.

Tomorrow I will try it at two different jams to see how is sounds with other guitars, dobros, mandolins, fiddles and banjos.

My initial impression is that the OF660 will work well for me.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I've given the OF660 a good workout in the last two days, including two jams with fiddle, guitar, dobro, and mandolin.

Yesterday I did an un-amplifed performance with some frieds at one of our local care home accompanying fiddle, concertina, octave mandolin and a uke. Flatpicking worked well but I felt the fingerpicking would benefit from a little amplification.

I love the packed size of the guitar, and I am enjoying my first carbon fiber instrument. I have traveled a lot with banjos since they are pretty tolerant of temperature and humidity changes, and now I have a guitar which fits the same bill. Looking forward to taking the OF660 on a trip to the Southwest later this year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber